What's your favorite respirator mask? - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Plumbing Tools, Products & Safety > Plumbing Tools and Equipment

Like Tree3Likes

Old 07-23-2019, 11:01 PM   #1

View V.A Hydro-ooter's Photo Album My Photos
Default What's your favorite respirator mask?

I currently use the 3m respirator mask I bought at Home Depot for $40. It doesn't work very well. I hate the smell of cast iron dust and having it in my nostrils even with that mask.
I would prefer to use my snap cutter but a lot of these lines I work on would probably crack with that. I use the grinder and sawzall which both put out a lot of dust.
I've tried those disposable masks which you can squeeze the metal tab to form around your nose but those don't work well either.
V.A Hydro-ooter is online now   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2019, 06:50 AM   #2

View skoronesa's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.A Hydro-ooter View Post
I currently use the 3m respirator mask I bought at Home Depot for $40. It doesn't work very well. I hate the smell of cast iron dust and having it in my nostrils even with that mask.
I would prefer to use my snap cutter but a lot of these lines I work on would probably crack with that. I use the grinder and sawzall which both put out a lot of dust.
I've tried those disposable masks which you can squeeze the metal tab to form around your nose but those don't work well either.

Use water when you cut the pipe. If you don't have a helper to use a squeeze bottle than get like a camel back and hang it with the tube dripping on the cut.

MASTRPLUMB likes this.

"I'd rather have Questions that can't be answered, then Answers that can't be questioned"
skoronesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 08:52 AM   #3
Moderator Wizard

View Tango's Photo Album My Photos

Bottom row 3M with pancakes or if you really want to ged rid of the smell use the one to the right with the flat charcoal (VOC) packs.

Cartridges can be seen on the left side.

https://www.plumbingzone.com/f2/cani...2/#post1195818

Last edited by Tango; 07-24-2019 at 08:54 AM..
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2019, 12:20 PM   #4

View 89plumbum's Photo Album My Photos

Although it’s a pain at first. Get a grinder vacuum attachment and a small cordless vacuum like the Milwaukee. Once you you get in the habit, you’ll always want to do it this way. Then you can wear a regular mask and face shield if you want.
89plumbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 03:35 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89plumbum View Post
Although it’s a pain at first. Get a grinder vacuum attachment and a small cordless vacuum like the Milwaukee. Once you you get in the habit, you’ll always want to do it this way. Then you can wear a regular mask and face shield if you want.
I have one of those HEPA vacuums that is OSHA compliant. I will probably try this if I can find an adapter that fits my grinder. It's one of those $15 harbor freight specials and it's been in muddy trenches many years without issue.
Old 07-24-2019, 03:41 PM   #6

Use water when you cut the pipe. If you don't have a helper to use a squeeze bottle than get like a camel back and hang it with the tube dripping on the cut.
[/QUOTE]

That is usually what I do on the trenches dug with a backhoe. On the inside digs there isn't a whole lot of space most of the time since we try to disturb the least amount of concrete possible.
Plus I'm pretty sure my grinder isn't waterproof.
The dig I did yesterday was self watering since the cast iron line was clogged, haha.
Old 07-24-2019, 03:47 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Bottom row 3M with pancakes or if you really want to ged rid of the smell use the one to the right with the flat charcoal (VOC) packs.

Cartridges can be seen on the left side.

https://www.plumbingzone.com/f2/cani...2/#post1195818
I have one like the second from the top left. Maybe my nose is a weird shape because I can't get a great seal no matter how tight I get it.
Old 07-24-2019, 04:51 PM   #8
Moderator Wizard

Quote:
I have one like the second from the top left. Maybe my nose is a weird shape because I can't get a great seal no matter how tight I get it.
You might have the wrong size. There's small, medium large. I'm a beefy guy but my size is medium.
Old 07-24-2019, 06:45 PM   #9

View skoronesa's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
That is usually what I do on the trenches dug with a backhoe. On the inside digs there isn't a whole lot of space most of the time since we try to disturb the least amount of concrete possible.
Plus I'm pretty sure my grinder isn't waterproof.
The dig I did yesterday was self watering since the cast iron line was clogged, haha.[/QUOTE]

The grinder doesn't have to be watertight, you only put water on the blade edge. I use a cordless grinder so I am not worried about being shocked. Even if yours is corded you can just use a gfci and be fine.

Those masks only work well if they seal which often times means being CLEAN shaven.

Take your grinder guard, cut a notch in it, and weld a piece of pipe that a vacuum hose will fit. I am sure tango could make something good like that!

Tango likes this.

"I'd rather have Questions that can't be answered, then Answers that can't be questioned"
skoronesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 10:44 PM   #10
Moderator Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoronesa View Post

Take your grinder guard, cut a notch in it, and weld a piece of pipe that a vacuum hose will fit. I am sure tango could make something good like that!

https://www.amazon.ca/DEWALT-DWE4615...92009004&psc=1
Attached Thumbnails
What's your favorite respirator mask?-61a-rdvb4cl._sl1000_.jpg  

The Following User Says Thank You to Tango For This Useful Post:
breplum (08-07-2019)