Truck or Van ? - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Plumbing Tools, Products & Safety > Plumbing Tools and Equipment

Old 07-09-2008, 11:28 PM   #1

View Alan's Photo Album My Photos
Default Truck or Van ?

Inspired by 'service guy' who referred to his van as a truck

We drive extra cab F-150's around with weather guard boxes mounted on the side rails. Sometimes I wish we had vans, and other times i'm thankful for the truck.

Anybody ever had an opportunity to work out of both at one time or another? Which do you prefer?
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2008, 11:31 PM   #2
Registered Member

View user4's Photo Album My Photos

When I did service work the company provided us with vans, in the job I have now my boss offered me a mini van, and I opted to use my own pickup truck with an ARE contractors cap on it.
user4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 11:31 PM   #3

View Bill's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Yahoo to Bill

VAN! I had a PU, and it was a mess. van I can have shelves and things where as the PU and job box everything was a mess. best thing I had and wished I kept it was a 1 ton truck with a Reading service body. I got rid of the truck, but kept the body.

Ones intellect can often be summed up by his own words
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2008, 11:34 PM   #4
Master Plumber

View 22rifle's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Inspired by 'service guy' who referred to his van as a truck

We drive extra cab F-150's around with weather guard boxes mounted on the side rails. Sometimes I wish we had vans, and other times i'm thankful for the truck.

Anybody ever had an opportunity to work out of both at one time or another? Which do you prefer?
Box truck. 14' on an Isuzu chassis. Not now but it was my favorite.
22rifle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 12:48 AM   #5
waterheaterzone.com

View service guy's Photo Album My Photos

I like my TRUCK...I mean van. Its a one-ton rated truck with a 300 HP 6.0 litre V8....thats a truck in my book. It ain't your momma's mini-van.
service guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 06:43 PM   #6
rex
Registered Member

View rex's Photo Album My Photos

i call my cube van a truck.......
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 10:24 PM   #7
Plumber Manhattan Beach

View WestCoastPlumber's Photo Album My Photos

I have done the truck thing, the van thing, and the cutaway thing, the truck is great when I did new construction, not so many repair parts to stock and the contractor back was great.

The van thing is great, what I have now, love it, but at 6'3", it is tough to get around inside, especially with messed up knees already.

When I move and get out of my association regulations, I will be buying a cutaway, this is the best! I can stretch, everything is right in front of me, interior pipe rack, exterior bins / boxes etc. Bad thing in my current situation, it won't fit in my garage
WestCoastPlumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 11:02 PM   #8

View Herk's Photo Album My Photos

I have used a number of different kinds of trucks over the years. Early in my house plumbing years I had a big step van and that was just fantastic. I'd back it up to a loading dock at the supply house and had wooden bins for fittings and a huge pipe rack on the roof. I could carry enough stuff for about five houses at a time.

But my first truck was a service body pickup. I learned to hate it. You can't remember where something is, you're walking all around the truck opening one box after another looking for it. There were hooks in one box and I hung pipe wrenches on them. The nuts and jaws would vibrate off and fall to the bottom of the box. Anything in the bed was exposed to weather and theft.

PIckup trucks with a good rack are also good for plumbing houses, but not so good for service work.

I had a Dodge Maxivan that was pretty good but I'm getting a bit old to be lifting plastic crates full of galvanized fittings while I'm all bent over. I don't like being all bent over very long anymore!

So my next truck will be an Isuzu box truck. I'm planning on a 14' with a ramp for sewer machines and water heaters and tubs and will probably set up my own shelves to suit. Soon, I hope.

No smelling the sewer machine like in a van. Lock it up when you stop in a parking lot to keep thieves out. Billboard sides. Not narrow like a Sprinter.

I wouldn't mind a Hackney, but we have a lot of wind and I wonder about the big swinging doors. And I think the Hackneys are usually only 12' long.
Herk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Herk For This Useful Post:
friendsshare (09-09-2012)
Old 07-10-2008, 11:05 PM   #9
3KP
Plumbing Contractor

View 3KP's Photo Album My Photos

I have been in trucks mostly. One company I use to work for had vans. I like the vans because everything stays dry and have more places to put things. But I don't like hearing all the wiggles and jiggles in the back as I drive down the road.

'Have a Blessed Day!"

3KP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 08:09 PM   #10

View Plumberman's Photo Album My Photos

We have Ford trucks and Vans. All the plumbers drive trucks for now. A/C guys drive the vans. Im partial to the truck. Had a van when I first started srevice. Im like west coast, Im 6'5" with bad knees as well. So I feel your pain bro! Too loud back there and how do yall keep the van form smelling like death after you unstop the mother of all sewers? Thats my only complaint about a van.... If I get one Im rigging something on the outside to carry my cable
Plumberman is offline   Reply With Quote