Stud and joist drills - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Plumbing Tools, Products & Safety > Plumbing Tools and Equipment

Like Tree25Likes

Old 03-30-2018, 06:36 PM   #1

View Alan's Photo Album My Photos
Default Stud and joist drills

I'm curious what everyone here uses and likes. Im in the market for one and wondering if I should change it up. Currently using dewalt dw-124 and it works fine. Before that i was using a black and decker very similar to my dewalt.
Im kind of eying the dw-460 as it seems similarly priced, a little more compact and lighter.

Any other suggestions are welcome.

🙂

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2018, 08:01 PM   #2

View Tommy plumber's Photo Album My Photos

I really like Milwaukee brand tools. I have a right-angle drill for drilling wood studs and a stud punch for metal studs.

When I'm running overhead lines like in a floor joist, I rarely{more like never} notch or drill them, just lay the pipe on top and strap it to the wood.
GAN likes this.
MACPLUMB777 (03-30-2018)
Old 03-30-2018, 08:32 PM   #3

View DesertOkie's Photo Album My Photos

Superhawg!
GAN, plumb1801 and MACPLUMB777 like this.
DesertOkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2018, 09:09 PM   #4

View The Dane's Photo Album My Photos

Milwaukee m18 superhawg

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk
hroark2112 and MACPLUMB777 like this.
The Dane is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 09:19 PM   #5
Moderator Wizard

View Tango's Photo Album My Photos

Most of my power tools are milwaukee. I bought a used milwaukee angle drill in excellent condition that is probably dated in the 80's. It looks almost new, I only used it once and it will probably serve many more plumbers after my death.

I bought the big hawg drill kit. I was not impressed at all. Anything overhead is total crap and takes too much strength and time to drill a 2x4. Its way easier, faster and safer with hole saws.

Most of the time I drill studs with my regular m18 milwaukee drill and spade bits

I also bought a roll of 10 kg lead free solder from the same guy for 50$ When I checked the real price it is worth over 500$. I will never see the end of the that roll in my lifetime.
MACPLUMB777 likes this.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 10:40 PM   #6

View Debo22's Photo Album My Photos

When I started out on my own and money was tight a general contractor told me the Harbor Freight angle drill had the same motor as the Milwaukee hole hog and I should buy one. I bought it and realized the motor is probably close to the same but there’s no clutch or gear slowing when you hit something like a knot or nail. It will almost rip your arm out of the socket or throw you across the room. It’s probably the most dangerous tool I have. Why I don’t throw it away is beyond me.
Attached Thumbnails
Stud and joist drills-92fdd55b-3932-48c2-bfa1-3a5eb9e8f93f.jpg  

GAN and Tango like this.
Debo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 11:51 PM   #7
rwh

View rwh's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debo22 View Post
When I started out on my own and money was tight a general contractor told me the Harbor Freight angle drill had the same motor as the Milwaukee hole hog and I should buy one. I bought it and realized the motor is probably close to the same but there’s no clutch or gear slowing when you hit something like a knot or nail. It will almost rip your arm out of the socket or throw you across the room. It’s probably the most dangerous tool I have. Why I don’t throw it away is beyond me.

That drill will bust your knuckles good. I don't think the genuine version is clutched either.
SHR Plumber likes this.
rwh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rwh For This Useful Post:
breplum (04-04-2018)
Old 03-31-2018, 07:23 AM   #8
Moderator Wizard

View Tango's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debo22 View Post
I haven't heard of any milwaukee angle drill with a clutch. I don't know why they don't make one, I'm always nervous to get hurt with that drill. In my opinion anything higher than waist level holes should be done with a hole saw with a drill with a clutch.

I have a few horror stories from plumbers in my city. I remember my journeyman who got me in the trade, I was holding the ladder and he was drilling an exterior sheet metal wall for a 4" b-vent. The drill kicked him on the head solid, his hardhat flying.

I saw an older plumber who I worked with and now had a disfigured face, big deep scars across his cheek, nose and forehead. The drill sliced his cheek leaving the skin flopping. That was horrible to think about.

There is a dewalt and makita angle drill with a clutch but I would prefer the makita with the original style as you can use it on other things than studs.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tango For This Useful Post:
Tommy plumber (03-31-2018)
Old 03-31-2018, 09:50 AM   #9

View plumb1801's Photo Album My Photos

Milwaukee superhawg(corded) is the best and only drill I use. I bought my first one in 2002 and I’m still using it. I had to replace the cord last year And that’s it. All of my trucks have this drill. This is the only drill I found that can handle a self feeding 4-5/8” bit with no problem and ask for more. I’m considering trying the m18 superhawg but they are quite expensive, not sure with they work as well as they say.
plumb1801 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to plumb1801 For This Useful Post:
Tommy plumber (03-31-2018)
Old 03-31-2018, 02:41 PM   #10

View Alan's Photo Album My Photos

The DWD-460 that i've been eyeballing is 3lbs lighter and 3" shorter than the superhawg or the dewalt version of the superhawg that i've been using.

It also has electronic bind-up control that slows down the speed of the motor instead of continuing to try to spin at its normal rate and burning up the drill.

I might give it a shot just for the heck of it and post my thoughts back here. 90 day money back guarantee from dewalt. If it doesn't measure up, I know where i'll go from there.

Thanks guys.
plumb1801 likes this.