propane torbo torch - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Plumbing Tools, Products & Safety > Plumbing Tools and Equipment

Like Tree28Likes

Old 12-20-2018, 02:48 PM   #1

View ShtRnsdownhill's Photo Album My Photos
Default propane torbo torch

for years when I first started I humped around the B-tank and an MC tank for the turbo torch and as time when by they became heavy, also in the very cold the yellow powder would come out and if you used it with a big tip some of the acetone would come out and it could be dangerous if you pulled too much acetylene out of the tanks too fast,and last the price has just gone up up up.. so I started using propane and mapp gas and seemed the small cylinders lasted just as long as a B tank and were a fraction of the cost, not to mention weight and space on the truck. I used a turbo head that threaded onto the small cylinders and worked great 95% of the time, the issue I had was the tail of the flame was too big for small spots near flammables.
I would use a spray bottle of water to wet down were I needed to solder and sprayed any flames that flared up, but that was a pain and sometimes just getting the whole torch into tight spots didnt work, so I picked up a new propane turbo torch brand with the hose and regulator , the regulator has a big propane tank fitting, so for about 8 bucks I got the adapter that lets me connect the small propane canisters and wala...just what I wanted..the turbo torch kit came with 2 torch nozzles and I bought a smaller one for those tight spots you want just a small flame that hits the copper and the tail of the flame is very short and doesnt burn anything it shouldnt...
Attached Thumbnails
propane torbo torch-pc200010.jpg  

propane torbo torch-pc200013.jpg  

propane torbo torch-pc200011.jpg  

propane torbo torch-pc200012.jpg  

Mark7, GAN, MACPLUMB777 and 1 others like this.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2018, 03:43 PM   #2
Moderator Wizard

View Tango's Photo Album My Photos

I never knew you would post pics! I use a small propane torch too but not with a hose. I do not own a B-tank and it's useless for what I do. I also bought an adapter to refill my tank from the 20 BBQ cylinder. A refill costs maybe 75 cent?

I also use carbon fiber mat as a heat shield, I bought a large square from china and cut them into size. Only thing it degrades quickly and rips easily creating holes. I sometimes back it with aluminum tape. I was thinking of trying out the welding blanket if it works.

How much is that set-up and do you have the model number? I was looking at buying the Gosselin brand, seems like a better product.
GAN likes this.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 05:23 PM   #3

why wouldnt I post pics? I got it from zoro.com with their 20% off coupon, turbo torch aint cheap, the kit was $197.00 plus tax and the small tip was $65.00 and the adapter $8.00 and turbo torch is good quality, I have acetylene torch kits 25 years old still going strong, I use them in my shop now...so if I get 10 years out of this and im sure it will last im good with that...I bought a $hit load of the small propane canisters years ago for like $2 bucks apiece and still have about 30 stock piled , I just bought some mapp gas for $10 in change for each but dont use them much unless I have to steam out water to make a solder joint..
heres the link https://www.zoro.com/i/G2193511
zoro always has discounts going
skoronesa and MACPLUMB777 like this.
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2018, 05:30 PM   #4

I was thinking of using this material for a fire stop..
https://www.amazon.com/gp/slredirect...getName=sp_atf
and cut it into smaller pieces..
Old 12-20-2018, 05:56 PM   #5
Moderator Wizard

I bought something like the ceramic fibre you are showing, mine had an aluminum backing but it pulled apart so easily it wasn't worth the expensive price. I used it once and it frayed apart. I don't know where it went, probably stuck behind a tool box in the van.

This is what I use. It is also sold from Oatey, a 9" square at 25$ or from china 48" for 26$. Be ready to wait 2 months. It is marvelous direct flame onto it and tight against a wall and no burn marks. It barely melts styrofoam with direct heat against it!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Carbon-Fibe...ZYqQ:rk:1:pf:0
MACPLUMB777 likes this.
Old 12-20-2018, 05:58 PM   #6
Moderator Wizard

It does shrink a little and tears after maybe a half dozen uses.
Old 12-20-2018, 10:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
I bought something like the ceramic fibre you are showing, mine had an aluminum backing but it pulled apart so easily it wasn't worth the expensive price. I used it once and it frayed apart. I don't know where it went, probably stuck behind a tool box in the van.

This is what I use. It is also sold from Oatey, a 9" square at 25$ or from china 48" for 26$. Be ready to wait 2 months. It is marvelous direct flame onto it and tight against a wall and no burn marks. It barely melts styrofoam with direct heat against it!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Carbon-Fibe...ZYqQ:rk:1:pf:0

that looks promising a 4 x 6 ft piece is only 38 bucks, that will make alot of smaller pieces even if it falls apart after a small amount of uses, I wonder if you glued a heavy piece of canvas on the backside if it would hold together much longer, im ordering a piece from ebay..
Old 12-20-2018, 11:12 PM   #8

View jeffreyplumber's Photo Album My Photos

Nice setup. I had that years ago but with a 5 pound bottle and I had I guess a 12 pound mapp bottle too. didnt have the adapterfor one pound disposable. Its long gone now. been using turbo hand torch thats been acting up and finaly bought a new one just couldnt keep orofice clean or something frustrating going on with it I was using my b tank alot till I got the new turbo hand torch.
been refilling the throw away bottles too .
ShtRnsdownhill likes this.
jeffreyplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 08:53 AM   #9
Moderator Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShtRnsdownhill View Post
that looks promising a 4 x 6 ft piece is only 38 bucks, that will make alot of smaller pieces even if it falls apart after a small amount of uses, I wonder if you glued a heavy piece of canvas on the backside if it would hold together much longer, im ordering a piece from ebay..
I sometimes put aluminum tape on one side. It preserves it a little longer. I wouldn't waste good leather as it rips by itself eventually with direct flame on it all the time. I cut mine about 10" square.
Old 12-21-2018, 11:15 AM   #10

View Alan's Photo Album My Photos

I really need to get one of those, just not sure I can shell out the money for it right now. I use the small screw on head that you're talking about. Mine isn't even a year old and sometimes it doesn't shut off all the way. I give the knob a little tap and then it's off. Something is screwy with it. I also don't like holding that thing on top of an 8 foot ladder. With my tendonitis I worry that it's going to fall out of my hand.

I know it's not much, but I had a good month last month and I don't want to blow it all on toys. Some of it needs to stay there for slow months.
The good news is my liability and my large bond are now paid through March, so I have 3 months with less expenses. After I see numbers for December I might have to knock that off the list.

We had that kit at my employer's shop, but never had the small tip. I'd love to try that tiny thing. I also love your hanging device. That's great!

I should probably comment on Zoro too. That's one of those sites that I usually steer away from because it feels like some unfamiliar territory and i'm worried to get defective stuff, ripped off, knock offs, or something like that. Have you bought much through Zoro? Good luck with it?