Pocket knives/multitools Which one? - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Plumbing Tools, Products & Safety > Plumbing Tools and Equipment

View Poll Results: What do you carry when working?
Swiss army knife 1 14.29%
Leatherman or similar 4 57.14%
Folding knife (1-3 blades) 4 57.14%
Channellocks or similar 2 28.57%
Flashlight (small/streamlight) 5 71.43%
Flashlight (medium/two cells) 2 28.57%
Gloves (disposable) 2 28.57%
Sharpie, pen, or pencil 6 85.71%
Screwdriver 2 28.57%
Tape measure 5 71.43%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By skoronesa
  • 1 Post By goeswiththeflow

Old 03-25-2020, 11:19 PM   #1

View skoronesa's Photo Album My Photos
Default Pocket knives/multitools Which one?

I carry a victorinox swiss army knife and two pair 6" channellocks. I also carry a small focusable flashlight that takes one 18650 lithium, the kind used in power tool battery packs, that's where I get them. And a 35' tape measure on my hip.

I keep one of my back pockets filled with disposable gloves. I think we can all agree this is a smart choice, especially given the current circumstances.

MACPLUMB777 likes this.

"I'd rather have Questions that can't be answered, than Answers that can't be questioned"
skoronesa is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2020, 02:07 AM   #2
3rd year apprentice

View goeswiththeflow's Photo Album My Photos

Those multi tools have never worked for me. I think it just takes too much time fiddling with it to change over to whatever tool you need each time, when you could just grab it out of your primary bag in a fraction of the time. I do keep my bag organized with each tool in the same pocket so I know where to grab it quickly every time. I also don't like the amount of force or leverage you get with those mutitools vs the real thing.

I work primarily residential service, so by the time the initial problem gets described by the customer, interpreted by the girl in the office, and then passed on to me, it could be described very differently than what the actual problem is, so I go into each call taking the description with a grain of salt. On my initial investigation I will take my clipboard, pen, phone for pictures, flashlight, rubber gloves, 11 way screwdriver, and I always have my tape on my side. Once I know exactly what I'm working on, then I will bring in whatever tool bags I need.
MACPLUMB777 likes this.
Old 03-26-2020, 07:58 AM   #3

View ShtRnsdownhill's Photo Album My Photos

I have several of the multitools like that and they all sit on the shelf, I carried one for a few months straight and never used it...now a separate pocket knife I always use, but anything on the multi tool is really worthless unless your in a survival situation with NO OTHER tools....
all other tools get carried in a 5 gallon bucket, I dont carry but maybe a 4 way and channel locks if I know I need them, but no tools hanging from my belt..
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2020, 09:17 PM   #4

View SchmitzPlumbing's Photo Album My Photos

milwaukee flashlight
utility knife
knipex pliers
snap on screwdriver with different bits
taurus judge
SchmitzPlumbing is offline   Reply With Quote