Need A Tool? Make One. - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Plumbing Tools, Products & Safety > Plumbing Tools and Equipment

Like Tree73Likes

Old 12-19-2017, 07:45 PM   #1

View Tommy plumber's Photo Album My Photos
Default Need A Tool? Make One.

Ever been in a situation where you needed a tool but didn't have because one wasn't made?

Well, make one. Show us your home-made tools. Mens' minds have produced many clever tools over the centuries.
Gargalaxy and MACPLUMB777 like this.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2017, 07:49 PM   #2

I made a tool today to make my job easier.
Attached Thumbnails
Need A Tool?  Make One.-flush-valve-tool-i.jpg  

Need A Tool?  Make One.-flush-valve-tool-ii.jpg  

Old 12-19-2017, 08:35 PM   #3
Super Moderator

View OpenSights's Photo Album My Photos

... for some deep low torque nut or plug... but for something that I don’t deal with... I think?

For below ground check valve lids I have a 3’ 3” scl40 and a 2” chunk of pipe notched with a hole through the top for a screwdriver as leverage. Plenty of other tools that just aren’t coming to mind at the moment.
MACPLUMB777 likes this.
OpenSights is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2017, 09:41 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenSights View Post
... for some deep low torque nut or plug... but for something that I don’t deal with... I think?

For below ground check valve lids I have a 3’ 3” scl40 and a 2” chunk of pipe notched with a hole through the top for a screwdriver as leverage. Plenty of other tools that just aren’t coming to mind at the moment.

You're a service guy right? Then you may have needed the tool that I posted or I should say could have used.

I want to see what my highly esteemed plumbing colleagues have fabricated. Maybe I can poach an idea or two which will make my job easier.
OpenSights and MACPLUMB777 like this.
Old 12-20-2017, 07:08 AM   #5

For those who do service work, do you guys ever replace that diamond-shaped gasket and flush valve on Kohler W/C's? The flush valve nut is surrounded by the rubber gasket and a large channel locks doesn't fit well. So I made a socket to fit it.
Attached Thumbnails
Need A Tool?  Make One.-flush-valve-tool-iii.jpg  

89plumbum (02-15-2018), rooterboy (02-19-2018)
Old 01-25-2018, 08:39 AM   #6
Moderator Wizard

View Tango's Photo Album My Photos

Oh goodie! I just saw this thread, I have a few "show and tell" tools I've made. I love home made tools. Pics will be in this evening!
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 08:44 PM   #7
Moderator Wizard

This tool is to loosen moen cartridges in corner tub faucet. These cartridges are like 3 inches deep. I hate those! I can use a screw driver or wrench.

These are extra long sockets are for faucets that are held by a single center nut. You can never fit a basin wrench the copper tubing are in the way, Never have enough torque to remove the nut as they are gummed up, corroded and other things that make you curse. I've made metric and imperial sockets.

This wrench is for shower drains, Couldn't find it for sale on the net and no one ships here. I made my own with a more comfortable handle and the hex part is so I can use a wrench for extra torque. The small metal strip they provide with a new drain sucks, it always falls in the p-trap and the pipe has to be right on the money. This tool is perfect for service jobs.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tango For This Useful Post:
89plumbum (02-15-2018), Tommy plumber (01-26-2018)
Old 01-25-2018, 08:50 PM   #8
Super Moderator

View OpenSights's Photo Album My Photos

I’ll have to take a picture tomorrow, but a scl 30 notched makes a good check valve cap remove when it’s deep.
OpenSights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 08:52 PM   #9
Moderator Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenSights View Post
I use a piece of 2x4 and a pipe wrench, it fits perfectly between the fins.
Old 01-25-2018, 09:15 PM   #10
Moderator Wizard

When I used to work on commercial sites and had to pop those black sleeves between floors the ones that have the same shape as a top hat. The companies never provided proper tools to remove them so I made a sleeve cutter on their time on the job! Pry the sleeve away from the concrete then slice it all the way through. A lot easier than the huge and heavy concrete pry bar that you had to borrow in secret.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tango For This Useful Post:
89plumbum (02-15-2018), Tommy plumber (01-26-2018)