Multimeters - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Plumbing Tools, Products & Safety > Plumbing Tools and Equipment

Like Tree25Likes

Old 05-10-2020, 11:20 PM   #1

View skoronesa's Photo Album My Photos
Default Multimeters

"Keep your dirty dick beaters off of my meter!"

Never have wiser words been uttered.

What do you guys use for a meter? I have one with a built in amprobe for work. It's pretty good, can't recall what make or model right now. I know some of you might not be as electrically inclined to have a discerning taste in meters.

I was thinking of getting this 17B as a personal/backup. 120$ for the meter with separate amprobe and then I still need to spend 15$ on a set of regular leads so like 140$ all in. It's actually made for the chinese and indian markets. It's made in china as opposed to the usa like other higher end fluke meters but still seems to be pretty good.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/223734490562

Here's a typed review of the current 17b+ model I am looking at.

https://lygte-info.dk/review/DMMFluke%2017B%20UK.html

EEV blog has a review/teardown of the original non + model and he seemed to like it.

"I'd rather have Questions that can't be answered, than Answers that can't be questioned"
skoronesa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to skoronesa For This Useful Post:
MACPLUMB777 (05-11-2020)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2020, 11:53 PM   #2

View ken53's Photo Album My Photos

I used Greenlee multi with dual temperature ports, it also tests micro-amps. That's good for testing flame rectification. The Fluke should do the job too.
I prefer a seperate amp-probe.
MACPLUMB777 likes this.
ken53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 12:24 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken53 View Post
I used Greenlee multi with dual temperature ports, it also tests micro-amps. That's good for testing flame rectification. The Fluke should do the job too.
I prefer a seperate amp-probe.

The more I look the more I think I should just go balls in and get a good one. That 117b+ isn't true-rms. I was looking at a 289 but it definitely seems like more than I need and probably not durable enough for what I do. The 87v is apparently the industry standard. This kit for 450$ seems like it. I wonder if I can convince the wifey....

https://www.amazon.com/Fluke-87V-IMS...B004HDUNQ2/ref

Attached Thumbnails
Multimeters-87vmsk.jpg  

MACPLUMB777 likes this.

"I'd rather have Questions that can't be answered, than Answers that can't be questioned"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2020, 01:16 AM   #4

View Debo22's Photo Album My Photos

Check out the Fieldpiece stick meter. I’ve had mine for about 25 years and use it almost every day. Here’s the updated version of mine. I also have the manometer head for it, sold separately.

https://www.valuetesters.com/fieldpi...ultimeter.html
Gargalaxy likes this.
Debo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 01:16 AM   #5

In this video from 2010 he compares the 28II with the 87v(identical accuracy/test specs). The 28II is the more durable IP67 waterproof version. The 28II has since been replaced the 87vMAX and I think that might be the model I get.

The things he does to this meter are insane, almost as bad as what I go through for work

Old 05-11-2020, 12:13 PM   #6

Well now I'm kind of torn. The 87vMAX is nice and would certainly be great for work and could survive a sewage pump chamber.

But this BM869s is definitely a better meter. It's very accurate and very fast to take readings.

I am torn between accuracy and features I might want to use and the durability I know I need I think I may get the 87vMAX first and get the BM869s later when I can swing it.

This guy appears to be the definite voice on multimeters and the past couple years he has used the BM869s as his sole meter. Here's a durability test he did on the switch;

Old 05-11-2020, 08:01 PM   #7

View Venomthirst's Photo Album My Photos

I use a Klein.. does milivolts and micro amps... not a clamp style.. I don't really use a clamp ammeter very often... fluke is better but it does the job I need it to do... its cat Iv rated.. most of time just using it to verify I'm not going to get electrocuted.. The Klein has a thermistor as well which is quite accurate use it for dialing in mixing valves before...

However, it has got me out of a bind before.. I have a cheapo one for amp clamp..
Venomthirst is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 09:51 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomthirst View Post
I use a Klein.. does milivolts and micro amps... not a clamp style.. I don't really use a clamp ammeter very often... fluke is better but it does the job I need it to do... its cat Iv rated.. most of time just using it to verify I'm not going to get electrocuted.. The Klein has a thermistor as well which is quite accurate use it for dialing in mixing valves before...

However, it has got me out of a bind before.. I have a cheapo one for amp clamp..

I work with pumps a lot so I am constantly using my amp clamp. I like the idea of a separate amp clamp on a pair of leads though. I want to know I am getting accurate ohms and current. The meter I have now with integrated amp clamp was only like 75$ and it shows. The readings don't start at zero and you can't null the baseline value.

Something high end like the 87v or the BM896s I can trust.

I'd like to be able to check capacitors too. Something that can read kilohms and megohms would be handy for testing windings.

It's really frustrating when you've used lab grade test equipment and know how to check so many things that could cut your workload in half but yet you get handed a glorified continuity tester. It's like giving a surgeon a kitchen knife, very aggravating and kind of insulting.

Old 05-12-2020, 12:45 PM   #9

Ended up getting a Fluke 87III for 200$ including shipping, used, mint condition, from an ebay auction.

Now I just need an amp clamp and a couple other accessories. Maybe I will start making a leather holster since I am still stuck home with a bum foot.

Any suggestions on an amp clamp and a shunt for the 0-100 amp range? The clamp I probably would like to go to at least 200. Looks like most go to 400.

Attached Thumbnails
Multimeters-87iii.jpg  

Multimeters-87iiiback.jpg  

chonkie, Debo22 and Venomthirst like this.

Old 05-12-2020, 06:16 PM   #10

View Venomthirst's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoronesa View Post
Ended up getting a Fluke 87III for 200$ including shipping, used, mint condition, from an ebay auction.

Now I just need an amp clamp and a couple other accessories. Maybe I will start making a leather holster since I am still stuck home with a bum foot.

Any suggestions on an amp clamp and a shunt for the 0-100 amp range? The clamp I probably would like to go to at least 200. Looks like most go to 400.

Nice purchase !
Venomthirst is online now   Reply With Quote