General The Metro Drain Cleaner Rooter - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Plumbing Tools, Products & Safety > Plumbing Tools and Equipment

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Tango
  • 1 Post By OpenSights
  • 2 Post By skoronesa

Old 05-10-2019, 12:47 AM   #1

View JohnnieSqueeze's Photo Album My Photos
Default General The Metro Drain Cleaner Rooter

Anyone notice that general is generally a pain in the ass. I have a general “the metro” with a 1/2” cable that broke. I have been waiting two weeks for a repair coupling for the cable. Finally lost patience and ordered a 75’ 5/8 cable today. What do you guys do when your rodder snaps?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JohnnieSqueeze is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2019, 07:50 AM   #2
Moderator Wizard

View Tango's Photo Album My Photos

Was there a wire aircraft cable in it? I would of ordered a coupling on amazon or ebay. Or if you use it a lot buy a spare cable too.
MACPLUMB777 likes this.
Tango is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 11:45 AM   #3

View Tommy plumber's Photo Album My Photos

That's what is good about sectional machines, when I kink a length of cable, I just throw it away and grab a new cable. The 7/8" Ridgid cables come in 15' lengths, the 5/8" cables come in shorter lengths.

Drum machines have their place, but a disadvantage is that when the cable is damaged, you have to replace the entire cable or make a repair.
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2019, 05:14 PM   #4
Super Moderator

View OpenSights's Photo Album My Photos

Usually I bend the kink out the best I can and run with it. Years ago I worked for a real tight azz, even went 6 months feeding my cable by hand because he wouldn’t order bearings. But if it’s a really bad kink I do what Tango said.... only I don’t have a welder at the moment.
Tango likes this.
OpenSights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 10:03 PM   #5

View skoronesa's Photo Album My Photos

I have a general speedrooter 92 with 100' of 5/8" on my van. I also have a spare drum with another 100' of 5/8" and a drum with 75' of 3/4" back at the shop. We also have a general snake with 1/2" cable at the shop which I haven't used in years since I wised up. If you're trying to snake 3"+4" drains with the 1/2" then don't, it won't handle that.

When my cables break I use a repair end on them, not a coupling. The repair ends screw on with a pair of pipe wrenches and actually break off less often than the factory welded ones, Granted with a repair head the 5/8" won't make a 2" 90. My current cable is less than a year old and of course like a month after I got it my manager made me continue to snake a drain that I could tell was broken. Head wouldn't come back through the broken section and broke off. He had the gall to say it was my fault when we saw the end come back. I yelled at him and almost punched the phucker, he shut up after that. It also put a kink about 15' back that annoys the piss out of me everytime.

I don't have a rodder, I am happy with my cable machines. I have thought of getting a small rod set for greased up kitchen lines though.

https://www.amazon.com/Silverline-Dr.../dp/B000LFXFGA

We do have a large ridgid sectional but we never use it. If I can't get it with the 5/8" I almost always refer them to a company with a jetter. Sometimes I will call back for and run the 3/4" if it's an emergency or I know they can't afford a jetter but it might be worth trying. On some occasions I have even just dug it up by hand and fixed it. Usually that is just when it runs into overtime and I can cut them a break on the hours. Call me what you want but a little old lady living off social security on some back road 45mins from another toilet is too sad of a situation for me to just leave.

MACPLUMB777 and Tango like this.

"I'd rather have Questions that can't be answered, then Answers that can't be questioned"
skoronesa is offline   Reply With Quote