Fuel MPG/ Big VS Small Truck - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Plumbing Tools, Products & Safety > Plumbing Tools and Equipment

Old 06-22-2008, 09:48 PM   #1
Ridgid tool user

View gear junkie's Photo Album My Photos
Default Fuel MPG/ Big VS Small Truck

On paper the small truck will beat the big truck in fuel economy but I believe a big truck saves fuel because you don't have to go back to the supply house or the shop. You have everything with you in one shot. What's your thought?

One of these days I'll have enough money to buy a isuzu npr chassis with a hackney body. All I need is 40g's.
gear junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gear junkie For This Useful Post:

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2008, 09:59 PM   #2
Registered Member

View user4's Photo Album My Photos

We are considering replacing our Astro vans with Chevy HHR Panel trucks, since the trucks are mostly used to move people and tools, we don't keep a lot of material in our trucks.
user4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 10:15 PM   #3

View threaderman's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Yahoo to threaderman

I have the E-250 extended cargo van and carry thousands of parts plus I try to anticipate any specialty tools/machines I made need for the day.I've got a hitch on the back for pulling equipment of course.The van is a sweet ride,it's a pleasure to drive,I keep it spotless ,it's the only way to go.I was driving unheated vans in Chicago in the 80's,soaking wet from this or that,this luxury I affird myself.Even at 10 mpg,if that.I am found of step vans and think they are great for repair work,with the ladder and pipe racks mounted on the side.
threaderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2008, 10:35 PM   #4
rex
Registered Member

View rex's Photo Album My Photos

i have a 99 chevy utility van that has every thing you could need in it if you can find it im very un organized....i find parts still laying on the floor from jobs weeks before...

i keep the van washed and in great mechanical shape but the box and exterior bins are a disastor......i just found 3 bags of 1" copper 90's jammed behind my generator felt like i hit the lottery

i have a 99 chevy diesel dually i use for hauling big stuff.....

i get 13mpg steady out of my van and i couldnt be happier it has ice cold air and rides awsome......and it dosent leak any fluids......id say what i have is ideal for a plumber that dose every thing plumbing related

Last edited by rex; 06-22-2008 at 10:39 PM..
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 12:15 AM   #5
LeMarr Plumbing, Inc.

View Song Dog's Photo Album My Photos

I got a '05 ( I think) Chevy (but a Ford guy at heart) with a KUV body. The only things I can't carry is a waterheater and a stool or 2. Everything else I have.
I get around 12mpg.
I have thought about the next one to be a Sprinter with a box on the back, Hackney or a Supreme with bins/shelves. An NPR would be great to w/ a Hachney.
I just wish I could carry a couple waterheaters and couple stools at the same time.

In Christ,

Song Dog
Old 06-23-2008, 12:21 AM   #6
3KP
Plumbing Contractor

View 3KP's Photo Album My Photos
Default Here's my ride!

Here is what I'm using for now I plan to buy truck top side boxes soon! I put my hand tools in the cab and power tools to one side of the truck box. I carry a tote in the bed of the the truck with misc. finish materials/repair parts. I plan to buy something bigger inthe future. But this is wroking for now.
Attached Images

'Have a Blessed Day!"

3KP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 12:23 AM   #7
LeMarr Plumbing, Inc.

Hey 3, I still got that System One rack that would look good on that truck

In Christ,

Song Dog
Old 06-23-2008, 12:43 AM   #8
residential service

View smellslike$tome's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by gear junkie View Post
On paper the small truck will beat the big truck in fuel economy but I believe a big truck saves fuel because you don't have to go back to the supply house or the shop. You have everything with you in one shot. What's your thought?

One of these days I'll have enough money to buy a isuzu npr chassis with a hackney body. All I need is 40g's.
I took delivery of a 2006 (one of the last) NPR HD diesel w/Hackney P2000 box and shelving back in December. It gets about 11 mpg which is what was claimed and it is sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeet. I had been driving for several years a Chevy 2500 with utility bed that got about 12 mpg gas. I had no room for anything it seemed. All my cable machines were a major pain to get on and off of the truck and they were always exposed to the weather. Currently I have all the space in the world compared to what I did have. I carry General speedrooter 90, mini rooter, older (very bulky) Spartan sewer camera w/reel, General J2700(?) sewer jetter, 1 Toto "Drake" tank, 1 Toto "Drake" elongated bowl, 1 Toto "Drake" round bowl, couple of seats, 2 shower faucets, 6 lav faucets, 4 ks faucets, plus a gazillion repair parts. It has swing out doors and a ramp for all the sewer gear. There is room for a ton of stuff. I've had it for just over 6 months and still haven't filled it up even. If I could spring for a smaller camera I could make room for 1-2 water heaters to be on the truck at all times. As it is currently I can still carry probably 4 water heaters if I wanted but they would make life very difficult so I'm not carrying any right now but at some point this will definately change.

My time at the supply house has been cut drastically! I am convinced that a big truck makes you more productive and therefore more profitable. With the vinyl wrap it came in at about $48k.

There is one thing I don't like about it. You ride directly over the front axle and it can be a very rough ride if the road is in poor condition. Wear your seat belt and sloooooooow down in the rough spots.
smellslike$tome is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to smellslike$tome For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2008, 01:10 AM   #9
LeMarr Plumbing, Inc.

Smells, I heard them NPRs can darn near turn on a dime.

In Christ,

Song Dog
Old 06-23-2008, 01:35 AM   #10
residential service

View smellslike$tome's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Song Dog View Post
Smells, I heard them NPRs can darn near turn on a dime.

In Christ,

Song Dog
It still amazes me! I'll think there's no way and the next thing you know I've made it with room to spare.

Spend the extra and get the backup alarm. It is loud and everybody looks when it goes off. Spend 2k -3k on a killer truck wrap. Also get the rear door ajar alarm, it's saved me several times.

Oh yeah this vehicle has the coldest a/c system I have ever seen in any vehicle which is fantastic since I'm one of those sweeeeeaaaaaaty people.
smellslike$tome is offline   Reply With Quote