Cordless sds max - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Plumbing Tools, Products & Safety > Plumbing Tools and Equipment

Like Tree3Likes

Old 04-30-2020, 06:34 PM   #1
canuckPlumBbob

View canuck92's Photo Album My Photos

Id eventually like to be 100% cord free.

Stumbled across the 1-3/4 milwaukee sds max rotary hammer online. I remeber seeing the last model the 1-9/16 and didnt think much it didnt have avt built in so that was a no go.
However the new model seems to be quite improved.
Im sure theres alot of different opinions on the site, curiouse to what you guys think.

No generator, 100' cord sounds great.
I do wonder about the run time on the 12.0 batteries. I find myself coring 1 hole or two at most for a job or chipping out a footing after a couple saw cuts.
Any of you guys got a cordless sds max or if not whats your thoughts.
Latly i just have that itch to buy some new tools.
canuck92 is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2020, 06:51 PM   #2

View The Dane's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck92 View Post

Stumbled across the 1-3/4 milwaukee sds max rotary hammer online. I remeber seeing the last model the 1-9/16 and didnt think much it didnt have avt built in so that was a no go.
Im sure theres alot of different opinions on the site, curiouse to what you guys think.

I do wonder about the run time on the 12.0 batteries. I find myself coring 1 hole or two at most for a job or chipping out a footing after a couple saw cuts.
Its not the sds max but I have the 1-1/8" sds plus and it works super great for small holes like 1/4" (haven't really tried much bigger yet) it does a decent job at chipping out cinderblock but and maybe a tiny bit around an edge on concrete but it won't really do much on concrete chipping wise.

The 1-1/8" sds plus I have only has 3.3 ft-lbs of impact energy. The 1-3/4" has 8.1 ft-lbs impact energy so it might do pretty well when chipping small areas of concrete. If you do enough concrete jobs I would just get a chipping hammer.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
The Dane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 08:26 PM   #3
canuckPlumBbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dane View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck92 View Post

Its not the sds max but I have the 1-1/8" sds plus and it works super great for small holes like 1/4" (haven't really tried much bigger yet) it does a decent job at chipping out cinderblock but and maybe a tiny bit around an edge on concrete but it won't really do much on concrete chipping wise.

The 1-1/8" sds plus I have only has 3.3 ft-lbs of impact energy. The 1-3/4" has 8.1 ft-lbs impact energy so it might do pretty well when chipping small areas of concrete. If you do enough concrete jobs I would just get a chipping hammer.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Yea i usualy just use a 5/8 bit for overhead anchors with that drill...i have the 1" corded one still
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2020, 10:19 PM   #4

View SchmitzPlumbing's Photo Album My Photos

yeah, i have the milwaukee. to core a 3 3/4 hole through 8 inches of crete, the 12.0 and 9.0 combined isnt enough. im not impressed with it. for a hole that big, it needs time to cool down. i dont have time for that. for small holes like 1 1/4 for outside faucets, its awesome. it also works great for 2 1/4 holes. i asked the milwaukee rep why its such a pos and he said i might have gotten a bad one. i doubt it. batteries get hot and have to cool down. i do love using the shovel on it for digging. im a tool whore. if its available, i have to have it.
SchmitzPlumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 05:28 AM   #5
canuckPlumBbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchmitzPlumbing View Post
yeah, i have the milwaukee. to core a 3 3/4 hole through 8 inches of crete, the 12.0 and 9.0 combined isnt enough. im not impressed with it. for a hole that big, it needs time to cool down. i dont have time for that. for small holes like 1 1/4 for outside faucets, its awesome. it also works great for 2 1/4 holes. i asked the milwaukee rep why its such a pos and he said i might have gotten a bad one. i doubt it. batteries get hot and have to cool down. i do love using the shovel on it for digging. im a tool whore. if its available, i have to have it.
The 12.0 over heats or the 9.0.
I was planning on having two or three 12.0 for it.

90% of the time im coring a 2-5/8 hole
Old 05-01-2020, 07:59 AM   #6

View SchmitzPlumbing's Photo Album My Photos

the drill overheats
SchmitzPlumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 01:03 PM   #7

View ShtRnsdownhill's Photo Album My Photos

cordless has it place but for anything heavy duty your not going to beat a corded tool .....so just because you dont want a cord your willing to overwork a tool and burn it up...just my .02cents
alson and skoronesa like this.
Old 05-03-2020, 10:36 AM   #8

View ironandfire's Photo Album My Photos

I think it would be pretty expensive to retool. Not quite sure about the gain. I am in the process of upgrading my Dewalt set though.
ironandfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 12:34 PM   #9

View skoronesa's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShtRnsdownhill View Post
cordless has it place but for anything heavy duty your not going to beat a corded tool .....so just because you dont want a cord your willing to overwork a tool and burn it up...just my .02cents

There's a couple corded tools on my van for this reason. My trusty sawzall, right angle drill, snakes, and my shop vac.

There ain't no cordless snake or shop vac that comes close to the corded in terms of power. Although I would love a general drain-rooter-ph I would swapped the corded drill for a cordless. The sawzall is partly in case my cordless breaks, not because it's weak but because I use it a lot for cutting cast iron and that's a tough job. And for the few times I need a right angle drill it's not worth buying a cordless. I do keep two cordless drills and two cordless impacts just in case one breaks or I leave it somewhere. But I would do that even if they were corded. I have a 36v(18vx2) skilsaw and that thing is great but I rarely use a skilsaw so cordless is fine. My worklights are cordless but can also be plugged in.

All in all while most of my tools are cordless I still usually end up running a cord on the big jobs that take a while anyway, but at least on most quick jobs I am all cordless. I have an inverter and 18v battery charger mounted in my van for throwing batteries on while I drive.

"I'd rather have Questions that can't be answered, than Answers that can't be questioned"
skoronesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 02:58 PM   #10

View ShtRnsdownhill's Photo Album My Photos

the only major upside to cordless tools, are in a damp or wet environment you wont get electrocuted....
skoronesa likes this.