Cordless bandsaws - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Plumbing Tools, Products & Safety > Plumbing Tools and Equipment

Like Tree29Likes

Old 02-22-2016, 08:52 PM   #1

View skoronesa's Photo Album My Photos
Default Cordless bandsaws

Any of you guys have one? Several guys I know have the milwaukees both corded and cordless, none of which can cut cast iron due to size but other wise they are amazing.

But this: ebay.com/itm/391305186357 says it has a 4-3/4" jaw AND I have makita stuff.

I want it sooooo bad, anyone use it AND the milwaukee to compare? I can stand for not so good batt life, like 3 or 4 C.I. cuts per batt but not if it isn't near the power of the competition. Work pays for blades provided our supplier can source them

Tax season is coming and if my return isn't good enough for a cheap van/truck I am going to have a lot more tools.
MACPLUMB777 likes this.
skoronesa is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2016, 10:38 PM   #2

View Flyout95's Photo Album My Photos

I have the m18 deep cut fuel band saw, great tool. I've used the makita deep cut, great tool.
MACPLUMB777 likes this.
Flyout95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 11:32 AM   #3

Just thought I would post an update on the makita 18v bandsaw I have now had for four years.

It's been really good, even handles the occasional dousing when cutting open a full 4" sewage pipe or kitchen drain line. Doesn't seem to use battery too quickly, I get more cuts than my sawzall. Most important part is to use the correct blades. I find that 14tpi lenox blades do well. The 18tpi blades, lenox or milwaukee, wear out way too quickly and take forever to cut pvc/abs/wood/cast because the teeth won't clear. The 14tpi blades do great.

Complaints;

My only real complaint is the sky hook unbends easily, I have bent it back like every 3 or 4 months for the last couple years. Mind you I store it hanging on that hook so with the rough ride in the van that might not be too bad for durability. I will probably make a new one.

A couple years back I dropped it off a ladder and put a dent in the rim of a wheel housing, I was surprised it didn't crack. I guess it's pretty good aluminum alloy.

Broke parts;

The only thing that "broke" was the motor armature. It got a piece of metal stuck in the housing which ground one of the connections off the stator. This happened when I was cutting over head with the bandsaw belly up. A new stator was 75$ and took 2 months to receive as it came from makita japan. It wasn't too easy to replace but if you've fixed power tools before andhave good dexterity it's pretty easy. Nothing sprang out when I opened it.

The last issue is my fault, the guide bearings are pretty corroded from me riding it hard and putting it up wet, sometimes with nasty chemicals/drain cleaner residue. I highly suggest spraying these bearings with wd40 after every time you cut wet stuff before putting it away.

My brushless sawzall got hoopajooped last month in the gearbox and now I have to rebuild it. Bought it at the same time for like 145$. We'll see how easy that is to fix soon and how it compares with the bandsaw.

All in all 5/5 would buy again. Bought it for 280$, 75$ in repairs, 355$ divided by four years is 89$ operating cost a year so not too bad so far.

MACPLUMB777 likes this.

"I'd rather have Questions that can't be answered, than Answers that can't be questioned"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2020, 11:54 AM   #4

View ironandfire's Photo Album My Photos

Been using the Dewalt full size LI(company tool). I like it. At $600.00 a pop( with charger and two 5ah batteries) it makes me question the pros and cons a little more.
MACPLUMB777 and jakewilcox like this.
ironandfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 12:22 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironandfire View Post
Been using the Dewalt full size LI(company tool). I like it. At $600.00 a pop( with charger and two 5ah batteries) it makes me question the pros and cons a little more.

During xmas a couple years back I found a set of two double stack makita batteries and a charger for 135$, bought two sets and I am so glad I did. Cost is too high with almost all of these cordless tools, especially when you buy from a regular retail outlet or supply house.

Even if you figure another 135$ on top of the 280$ I spent for the band saw I still think it's a pretty good deal. You can get a corded bandsaw of the same size for 90$ from harbor freight. But that means running cords and risking electric shock.

MACPLUMB777 likes this.

"I'd rather have Questions that can't be answered, than Answers that can't be questioned"
Old 05-10-2020, 02:54 PM   #6

Anybody ever dealt with these guys ? They've got some pretty good deals it looks.

https://www.dwodus.com/dewalt-dcs374...kit-p-545.html
Old 05-10-2020, 02:56 PM   #7

full size bandsaw , one 5ah battery and charger with case . Under $100.00 Wowzers !
MACPLUMB777 likes this.
Old 05-10-2020, 09:24 PM   #8

View V.A Hydro-ooter's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
full size bandsaw , one 5ah battery and charger with case . Under $100.00 Wowzers !
That looks like one of those scam sites. That's way too good to be real. I don't think you could even get a used one for that unless you got it from a crackhead.
skoronesa and Tango like this.
V.A Hydro-ooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 10:24 PM   #9
Moderator Wizard

View Tango's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Anybody ever dealt with these guys ? They've got some pretty good deals it looks.

https://www.dwodus.com/dewalt-dcs374...kit-p-545.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by V.A Hydro-ooter View Post
That looks like one of those scam sites. That's way too good to be real. I don't think you could even get a used one for that unless you got it from a crackhead.
I concur, con site for sure those prices are a joke and there's a bunch of misspelling errors. As if you put stuff in a "shopping bag" unlike all the legit stores labeling it "shopping cart"

it's just like those 2-3 day stores on amzon. They upload thousands of product at ridiculous low price and people flock to that. They close up shop when amzon get too many complaints and they start under a new name.
skoronesa and MACPLUMB777 like this.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 11:06 PM   #10

View Logtec's Photo Album My Photos

This tool looks like it would be fun to own/use, but I don’t see what It can do better then a sawzall? At least in the plumbing field?
It’s def not getting between floor joists, or under a cabinet, inside the stud wall..

Im assuming the bandsaw’s bladeS would cost quite a bit more then a sawzall blades. Plus the time to swap out blades would be longer.
Logtec is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Logtec For This Useful Post:
MACPLUMB777 (05-10-2020)