Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

Wall hung American Standard wall mounted leak

18K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  Plumberman 
#1 ·
I have 700 wall hung American Standard toilets in the building "prison" I work in. At any one time a dozen of them are leaking from the wax ring/neoprene. In the past we'd change out the gaskets and it would work for a while. Some of the fixtures that were really bad we tried loosening the no hub on the drain side of the carrier and forcing the short nipple into the wax ring. That did the trick on several of them, but I have one that is still leaking. This problem child has the carrier mounted a little farther off the wall than any of our other toilets. When weight is put on the toilet you can see the carrier flexing much more than any other toilet I've seen. If anyone has any ideas to stop the leak please advise.

#4 ·
I wouldn't use the wax rings, Go out and get the Zurn Neo-Seal. They work the best. Also on the Neo-seal box has the proper adjustments for the carrier bolts.

I had one where I was adjusting the nuts on the bolts off the wall and made it all nice and square, and it leaked like a sieve. I decided to take all my measurements off the carrier nipple to set the nuts on the bolts. Set the water closet, it had a 1 ½" gap on the right side from the wall and only a ¼" gap on the left side, but no leaks at all. So the trouble was the was was not square with the carrier.

#7 ·
Probably crack in nipple. Done jobs in prisons before It will leak again these people some I hate to say are animals will purposely break everything. Flush sheets, shirts, pillow case town the toilet.:furious: Hated working in there only good thing was guard made some carry the machine. Probably stealing the bolts to make a shank.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.