CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Professional Plumbers Forum > Commercial Plumbing

Old 02-26-2012, 11:50 PM   #1
Drained Professional

View Miguel's Photo Album My Photos
Default Pinhole leaks in copper

Early this week I repaired a pinhole leak on a section of 1-1/4" copper DHW recirc'd line to a 24 unit apartment bldg. The piping seems to be mostly original (early '60's) with the odd repair here and there. Some of the branches and most of the recirc system have been replaced with PEX.

The section I cut out was within a foot of an elbow. It was so thin at the cut that I cut another foot out. Seemed somewhat better there so I drew the line and replaced only that portion. The owner stopped by and I showed him the half eaten Type L pipe I'd cut out (no thicker than foil!) and advised him that future leaks were imminent.

Since I'm confident that repiping with Type L copper would give another 40 yrs service life, my question is should we opt for a cheaper solution such as Uponor (the only PEX alternative I can think of) or just bust the hump and go with copper again, even though copper prices are still somewhat fkn nuts?

All opinions welcomed!

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 02-27-2012, 12:11 AM   #2

View rjbphd's Photo Album My Photos

How many units is this apt? 1.5 " just for a return line sounds like an overkill if it a small apt bldg..
rjbphd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rjbphd For This Useful Post:
Mississippiplum (02-27-2012)
Old 02-27-2012, 12:14 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbphd
How many units is this apt? 1.5 " just for a return line sounds like an overkill if it a small apt bldg..
Sorry, reread the op and yeap. Its a overkill for 1.5 return line with pump... since "they" see a 1.5 pipe, meaning a huge 1.5 hi vel pump which causes too much flow in pump and slowwly etched inside of pipe.
The Following User Says Thank You to rjbphd For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2012, 12:15 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbphd

Sorry, reread the op and yeap. Its a overkill for 1.5 return line with pump... since "they" see a 1.5 pipe, meaning a huge 1.5 hi vel pump which causes too much flow in pump and slowwly etched inside of pipe.
Again, I meant too much flow in pipe, not pump.. its Sunday's night...
Old 02-27-2012, 07:26 AM   #5

View plbgbiz's Photo Album My Photos

The OP mentioned it was on the recirculating system. He didn't say it was the return line. And 1.25, not 1.5.

Still, pump sizing and excessive flow could be the problem.
plbgbiz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to plbgbiz For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2012, 08:27 AM   #6

View MarkToo's Photo Album My Photos

We've got pinholes upon pinholes in these parts.

While the increase in chlorination due to incidents of pollutants making their way into the system is definitely part of it, the rumour has always been that there was some bad copper being used in the '80's around here. That was before my time in the trade so, I can't say for certain this has any merit but I've been hearing this for years - long before getting into plumbing even. Most all of the repairs we're making are in copper that is 25 years old or less. A lot of times it's copper "M" but not always. Most of the pinholes are at 90 deg. bends but, sometimes in straight runs. Finding a spot to tie in is often a trick as the piping is sometimes so thin you could spit through it.

A re-pipe is always the recommended solution. I try to sell Wirsbo as a permanent fix. Not every customer is willing to have that much work done so, we try as least to take the repair back to the meter and go as far as we can with the budget we're given.

For the customers that just want a patch job, we recommend they put us on speed dial.
MarkToo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MarkToo For This Useful Post:
JERRYMAC (02-28-2012), Miguel (03-02-2012)
Old 02-27-2012, 09:34 AM   #7

View stillaround's Photo Album My Photos

Question ...has the effect of circulation in general manifested itself in other places as a complete thinning of the pipe?? I thought it caused pinholes particularly at elbow areas but was not aware of thinning over a broader surface...not arguing , just wondering..

stillaround is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stillaround For This Useful Post:
plbgbiz (02-28-2012)
Old 02-27-2012, 09:57 AM   #8

View swedishcharm21's Photo Album My Photos

Go with the copper.
swedishcharm21 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to swedishcharm21 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2012, 09:59 AM   #9
No Longer at This Address

View ToUtahNow's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguel View Post
Early this week I repaired a pinhole leak on a section of 1-1/4" copper DHW recirc'd line to a 24 unit apartment bldg. The piping seems to be mostly original (early '60's) with the odd repair here and there. Some of the branches and most of the recirc system have been replaced with PEX.

The section I cut out was within a foot of an elbow. It was so thin at the cut that I cut another foot out. Seemed somewhat better there so I drew the line and replaced only that portion. The owner stopped by and I showed him the half eaten Type L pipe I'd cut out (no thicker than foil!) and advised him that future leaks were imminent.

Since I'm confident that repiping with Type L copper would give another 40 yrs service life, my question is should we opt for a cheaper solution such as Uponor (the only PEX alternative I can think of) or just bust the hump and go with copper again, even though copper prices are still somewhat fkn nuts?

All opinions welcomed!
Pictures would help a bunch.

Because of where you say the leak is it sounds like localized velocity erosion. If that is the case, you should check your pump sizing and lower it as much as you can. After that you really need to look at the leak history before you condemn everything.

Mark
ToUtahNow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ToUtahNow For This Useful Post:
JERRYMAC (02-28-2012), Mississippiplum (02-27-2012), plbgbiz (02-28-2012)
Old 02-27-2012, 11:46 AM   #10
Registered Member

View user7551's Photo Album My Photos

If you get a chance to check any of the fittings out like the couplings, 90's or tee's . See if the pipe was reamed properly . It could be turbulence being caused by the reduction in the pipe not being properly reamed.
user7551 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to user7551 For This Useful Post:
CTs2p2 (02-27-2012), JERRYMAC (02-28-2012), Miguel (03-02-2012), Mpls Jay (02-28-2012)