CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Professional Plumbers Forum > Residential Plumbing

Old 11-01-2010, 07:26 PM   #1

View drsplumbing's Photo Album My Photos
Default PRV making all kinds of noise??

Was at one of my regular customers for a quick service call. They had an old watts prv that was leaking right after the water meter on a 3/4" main.
The customer had already bought a new pressure reducing valve. And like all customer bought stock it is a cheap piece of garbage. I installed it and it had a weep hole in the brass casting! So he returned it and got the same model same company. I installed it and it worked fine i tested the pressure on the house and set it for 60psi. Then 3 days later he calls me up complaining of noise in his water pipe. I get over there and test the faucet in the kitchen. When you turn it on with a small trickle the cold water main vibrates very bad and makes a whine sound that is very loud. Ive never heard anything like that. so i was playing with a ball valve after the prv. With a faucet wide open i can start to close the ball valve when it gets to 9/10ths closed the vibration and whine starts. then when i open it up all the way it goes away. Im going to pick up a WATTS valve which i always use and see if it helps. Has anyone ever incountered this problem?? Im a little perplexed because he never had this noise with the other prv in over 20 years!! Its driving me crazy!!
drsplumbing is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 11-01-2010, 07:56 PM   #2

View SlickRick's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsplumbing View Post
Was at one of my regular customers for a quick service call. They had an old watts prv that was leaking right after the water meter on a 3/4" main.
The customer had already bought a new pressure reducing valve. And like all customer bought stock it is a cheap piece of garbage. I installed it and it had a weep hole in the brass casting! So he returned it and got the same model same company. I installed it and it worked fine i tested the pressure on the house and set it for 60psi. Then 3 days later he calls me up complaining of noise in his water pipe. I get over there and test the faucet in the kitchen. When you turn it on with a small trickle the cold water main vibrates very bad and makes a whine sound that is very loud. Ive never heard anything like that. so i was playing with a ball valve after the prv. With a faucet wide open i can start to close the ball valve when it gets to 9/10ths closed the vibration and whine starts. then when i open it up all the way it goes away. Im going to pick up a WATTS valve which i always use and see if it helps. Has anyone ever incountered this problem?? Im a little perplexed because he never had this noise with the other prv in over 20 years!! Its driving me crazy!!
Prolly a loose diaphram. How about a intro?
SlickRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 08:22 PM   #3

sry dont know what an into is?
Old 11-01-2010, 08:27 PM   #4

Quote:
sry dont know what an into is?
Tell us a little about yourself, type of plumbing, yrs, etc. You will be welcomed and receive more responses, kinda like the skull and bones.

Go to the link below.

http://www.plumbingzone.com/f3/
Old 11-01-2010, 08:41 PM   #5

The chatter is being caused by a loose or soft piece of rubber. If the chatter was not there before the new PRV was installed, it is most likely the diaphram, and will need a new one, or replace the defective PRV. If you think it may be related to just one faucet, then you have a loose washer in the faucet or stop.
The Following User Says Thank You to SlickRick For This Useful Post:
drsplumbing (11-01-2010)
Old 11-01-2010, 08:49 PM   #6

thanks for the replies. And i posted an intro.
Old 11-01-2010, 08:52 PM   #7

Quote:
thanks for the replies. And i posted an intro.
Thanks, I was typing a reply while you were doing your intro. We see all.
Old 11-02-2010, 06:01 AM   #8
Cal

View Cal's Photo Album My Photos

It's TRUE ,,, Loose diaphragm An ,, they do see ALL