Plastic (Nylon) toilet bolts and nuts - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Professional Plumbers Forum > Residential Plumbing

Like Tree7Likes

Old 04-19-2017, 06:47 AM   #1

View albtec.pl's Photo Album My Photos
Default Plastic (Nylon) toilet bolts and nuts

Hey guys what do you think about the plastic toilet nuts and bolts (sioux chief, lyncar etc), have any of you used them? Whats you experience?
Personally I like them, easy to cut, no rust over time. The only thing is to not over tight them otherwise they break easy. Any thoughts?

Carpe Diem
albtec.pl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2017, 07:01 AM   #2

View The Dane's Photo Album My Photos

I have tried them 3 times and all 3 times I broke them . 2 guys from the shop likes them. I don't feel like they hold down the toilet well enough and I don't seem to be able to feel when they are tight, they just suddenly snap on me. I use these set fast ones. You just screw the rod in the base a few turns, set the toilet and screw the rod further down to height before putting the nut on. You don't have any cutting to do and they are thick solid brass so they don't easily rust.
http://www.smartplumbingproducts.com...1Qifb3YubL.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
albtec.pl likes this.
The Dane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 04:30 PM   #3

View Tommy plumber's Photo Album My Photos

I love 'em. I prefer the plastic closet bolts. Just snug, can't crank 'em. Years ago while setting WC's, as I'm cranking down on the closet nut, I'd hear "Snap." Oops, so I have learned not to be heavy-handed with certain items.
Then after the W/C gets grouted, it is sturdy.

Not sure if they make extra-long in the plastic. Haven't seen them. I keep extra long Johnny bolts for when I need them.
albtec.pl likes this.

Old 04-19-2017, 05:34 PM   #4

View albtec.pl's Photo Album My Photos

When I tried them for the first time I didn"t like them, I snapped a lot of them, my boss loved them and they where the only ones supplied on the van so I pretty much had no choice to get used to. Right now to tighten them I use a long galvanized key that comes with American Standart toilets and I just go by hand as much as I can. I haven't seen either any extra-long ones, I use the brass ones when I need.
albtec.pl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 06:21 PM   #5

View Oorgnid's Photo Album My Photos

I set three toilets today in a doctor's office. Never seen/heard of these nylon/plastic closet bolts. Wish I would have had them today though. Having to hacksaw the bolts down is tiresome when you're spoiled from using a small sawzall or grinder.
Oorgnid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 08:10 PM   #6

View Tommy plumber's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oorgnid View Post
I set three toilets today in a doctor's office. Never seen/heard of these nylon/plastic closet bolts. Wish I would have had them today though. Having to hacksaw the bolts down is tiresome when you're spoiled from using a small sawzall or grinder.

Or how about when you install a cust. supp. W/C that comes in a box complete and they give you those steel closet bolts? I hate those things; first of all they are not as easy to mini hacksaw cut like brass, and of course they are going to rust.
Old 04-19-2017, 10:56 PM   #7

View Oorgnid's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy plumber View Post
Or how about when you install a cust. supp. W/C that comes in a box complete and they give you those steel closet bolts? I hate those things; first of all they are not as easy to mini hacksaw cut like brass, and of course they are going to rust.
Not going to lie. That's when I pull the Ronco Rotisserie commercial. Just set it, and forget it.

I've also done the quickie. Home owners with their piss saturated floors and straggling pubes all over the place. I wont waste my time. I'll just fill the cap with putty and some silicone and push it over the bolt. 9/10 if they didn't clean the toilet the first time, not going to clean it now because it's "new".
Debo22 and OpenSights like this.
Oorgnid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 11:08 AM   #8

View CT-18's Photo Album My Photos

I have also learned the heavy handed lesson. It was actually a co worker but it hurt me just as bad when i saw it happen. We were setting fixtures for Mr. Ilitch the owner of the Wings and Tigers here in Detroit. I was battling the tiger striped pattern lav that cost 13 grand and my co worker was setting the tiger striped floor mount 20 some thousand dollar toilet. He went a little to far and POP went the toilet base. Luckily they cast 2 of each so there was a back up.

I will see if i can find the pictures i took. This was back in 2001 when we were working on Comerica Park.
CT-18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CT-18 For This Useful Post:
albtec.pl (04-20-2017), OpenSights (04-20-2017), Tommy plumber (04-21-2017)
Old 04-20-2017, 10:39 PM   #9
Mark

View KoleckeINC's Photo Album My Photos

Crap. Code 100 years ago was solid brass bolts and hardware. Every avocado, sunshine, lavender, powder bowl I ever took out from 20+ yrs ago was set with solid brass and putty. Didn't have to sillycone the bowl. I use Hercules brand Johnni-bolt kits from Menards, double butted to the flange with 5/16 by 18 stainless nuts(also Menards) and 5/16 by 1 stainless washers from LA fastener. Or neoprene sponge rings with plastic roof cement if on the basement level gravity sewer. Never gonna leak.
KoleckeINC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 10:41 PM   #10

View OpenSights's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy plumber View Post
No matter what, we always use and charge for our Johny bolts.

I've never used the plastic bolts. I honestly don't think I'd like them and don't want to risk a back call when big birtha high dives off the stool into the tub.
OpenSights is offline   Reply With Quote