CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Professional Plumbers Forum > Residential Plumbing

Old 03-09-2011, 11:16 PM   #1
3KP
Plumbing Contractor

View 3KP's Photo Album My Photos
Default peppermint

I have read through a few threads on smoke testing and seen a few mention peppermint. My question is the peppermint in tablets or liquid form? Also how would I get it into the system and do I have to plug off the C/O tee and vent? Not going on to roof 2 story with 12/12 pitch.

'Have a Blessed Day!"

3KP is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 03-09-2011, 11:31 PM   #2
Certified Lunatic

View Redwood's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Skype™ to Redwood

The peppermint oil is getting hard to find.
You used to be able to buy it in liquid form in "Real" drug stores before they all went out of business and the national and regional chains took over.

They just look at you like you have a third eye in the center of your forehead when you ask for Peppermint oil.

If you can find it, you need 2 people to do the test.

One stays outside and mixes the peppermint oil into a bucket of hot water then dumps it down the vents. He stays outside because he will not smell the peppermint inside and he will bring the smell in with him invalidating the entire test.

The other person goes inside before the bottle of peppermint oil is ever opened and searches for the smell and where it is coming from.

This test is tougher to actually locate where the smell is coming from but, is good for seeing if the smell is actually coming from the DWV system or not. If you test and there is a smell then it is coming from the DWV system. No smell well they should look for other places where the smell is coming from.

The smoke test provides rapid visual cues as to where the smell is coming from...

Redwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 11:32 PM   #3
Registered Member

View U666A's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3KP
I have read through a few threads on smoke testing and seen a few mention peppermint. My question is the peppermint in tablets or liquid form? Also how would I get it into the system and do I have to plug off the C/O tee and vent? Not going on to roof 2 story with 12/12 pitch.
If you do a quick google search, you will find all those answers. I read it as 1 part liquid peppermint concentrate to 10 parts near boiling water poured down vent terminal.

Sent from my iPhone using PlumbingZone
U666A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 11:32 PM   #4

View stillaround's Photo Album My Photos

I got it liquid form at either a pharmacy or natural foods store....I poured it down a nearby vent on the roof......I imagine somewhere upstream would work...

stillaround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 11:33 PM   #5
Registered Member

View U666A's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwood
The peppermint oil is getting hard to find.
You used to be able to buy it in liquid form in "Real" drug stores before they all went out of business and the national and regional chains took over.

They just look at you like you have a third eye in the center of your forehead when you ask for Peppermint oil.

If you can find it, you need 2 people to do the test.

One stays outside and mixes the peppermint oil into a bucket of hot water then dumps it down the vents. He stays outside because he will not smell the peppermint inside and he will bring the smell in with him invalidating the entire test.

The other person goes inside before the bottle of peppermint oil is ever opened and searches for the smell and where it is coming from.

This test is tougher to actually locate where the smell is coming from but, is good for seeing if the smell is actually coming from the DWV system or not. If you test and there is a smell then it is coming from the DWV system. No smell well they should look for other places where the smell is coming from.

The smoke test provides rapid visual cues as to where the smell is coming from...
You beat me by seconds, red. Good info

Sent from my iPhone using PlumbingZone
U666A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 06:46 AM   #6

View smoldrn's Photo Album My Photos

I found some at the local grocery store. About $3. for a small bottle. Used it to help find a very small pressure leak in a gas line that we couldn't get to bubble up with soapy water.
Old 03-10-2011, 08:55 AM   #7

View BROOKLYN\PLUMB's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoldrn
I found some at the local grocery store. About $3. for a small bottle. Used it to help find a very small pressure leak in a gas line that we couldn't get to bubble up with soapy water.
Interesting how did you intrduce the oil so as not to contaminate the area from smell also what quantity and what size gas lines?

Sent from my EVO 4G using Plumbing Zone
BROOKLYN\PLUMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 02:31 PM   #8

View smoldrn's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by BROOKLYN\PLUMB View Post
Interesting how did you intrduce the oil so as not to contaminate the area from smell also what quantity and what size gas lines?

Sent from my EVO 4G using Plumbing Zone
I poured about 2 capfuls into the nipple outside, then screwed my test gauge on & pumped it up. It was a 3/4 tract pipe line that the 'builder' had installed. He figured he would save $$, 'cause everybody knows that plumbers charge too much.
I still billed him $800 for tying the range stub & piping into the fireplace, now if I can only get paid.
Old 03-10-2011, 03:42 PM   #9

View BROOKLYN\PLUMB's Photo Album My Photos

NICE

Most of our meters are located in the basements so it would contaminate the area
BROOKLYN\PLUMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 07:42 PM   #10
3KP
Plumbing Contractor

View 3KP's Photo Album My Photos

Your gas meter is in your basements WOW! That sounds like a bomb in the house

Oh by the way thanks everyone on the tips! We are not doing the job NOW! The lady went crazy on my wife today! Threating to sue us for not doing the job? WTF our appointment was for tomorrow Oh well I love crazy people they help the world go round.

'Have a Blessed Day!"

3KP is offline   Reply With Quote