CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Professional Plumbers Forum > Residential Plumbing

Old 11-20-2010, 12:46 PM   #1

View luv2plumb's Photo Album My Photos
Default Oily / Greasy feeling water

I sent a crew out on Thursday to a co-worker's grandparents house to replace the galvanized pipes in the attic with CPVC. They replaced both hot and cold horizontal runs ONLY. Friday we replaced the water heater. Today they called and said the hot water has an oily/greasy feel to it and when they fill up a glass they can see an oily residue in the water. I have never heard of this before; anyone have any ideas? Thanks for any advice

George Washington
luv2plumb is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 11-20-2010, 01:18 PM   #2

View SlickRick's Photo Album My Photos

Is this on city water?
SlickRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 01:42 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickrick View Post
Is this on city water?
Yes city water; this issue didn't show until we did the re-pipe. The galv. still runs inside the walls

George Washington
Old 11-20-2010, 02:29 PM   #4

View Epox's Photo Album My Photos

Any chance a piece of the new material was not new off the shelf and may have been contaminated somehow? Sometimes it's right in front of us. Can do samples preferably from a 2 handle faucet of hot and cold to narrow it down.
Epox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 02:39 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpsllc View Post
Any chance a piece of the new material was not new off the shelf and may have been contaminated somehow? Sometimes it's right in front of us. Can do samples preferably from a 2 handle faucet of hot and cold to narrow it down.

Everything was bought at the supply house that morning; shelf-life of material is unknown. I don't stock CPVC at the office because I hardly mess with the stuff. They say it is only from the hot water side; I am going over there Monday just wanted to see if anyone might have an idea

George Washington
Old 11-20-2010, 02:52 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2plumb View Post
Everything was bought at the supply house that morning; shelf-life of material is unknown. I don't stock CPVC at the office because I hardly mess with the stuff. They say it is only from the hot water side; I am going over there Monday just wanted to see if anyone might have an idea
Let us know what you find.
The Following User Says Thank You to Epox For This Useful Post:
luv2plumb (11-20-2010)
Old 11-20-2010, 02:56 PM   #7
Registered Member

View OldSchool's Photo Album My Photos

the problem is more than likely coming from the hot water tank... did your guys drain the tank and refill it... it could be crap laying in the tank that got stirred up when you refilled it.
OldSchool is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OldSchool For This Useful Post:
gusty60 (11-21-2010), luv2plumb (11-20-2010)
Old 11-20-2010, 03:01 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchool View Post
the problem is more than likely coming from the hot water tank... did your guys drain the tank and refill it... it could be crap laying in the tank that got stirred up when you refilled it.
It was doing it Thursday after new pipes were installed and old water heater was still in place. Friday we installed a new heater. If it was with the old heater you would think the issue would have been present before we did any work

George Washington
Old 11-20-2010, 03:41 PM   #9

View Tommy plumber's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2plumb View Post
I sent a crew out on Thursday to a co-worker's grandparents house to replace the galvanized pipes in the attic with CPVC. They replaced both hot and cold horizontal runs ONLY. Friday we replaced the water heater. Today they called and said the hot water has an oily/greasy feel to it and when they fill up a glass they can see an oily residue in the water. I have never heard of this before; anyone have any ideas? Thanks for any advice

You need to go to the cust. home to confirm the condition of the water. Take samples from different faucets, hot and cold. If you definitely see oily residue in a clean glass container, then I would tell cust. that they need to contact water purveyor. You as the plumber are not responsible for the quality of the water, only getting it into their home. My 2 cents.
I wouldn't think that the pipes you installed had oil or grease in them, but hey, ya never know.
luv2plumb (11-20-2010)
Old 11-20-2010, 09:07 PM   #10

I've never heard of a water heater causing oily residue but that would be the easiest fix for you. Manufacturing oopsie maybe but I doubt it. They say hot only so I would sample the cold supply to water heater for the oil, as well as the hot coming out. They are probably saying it was fine before new work was done. And it may be so but no matter your name is on it as the last one to touch it. Man good luck dude.