CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Professional Plumbers Forum > Residential Plumbing

Closed Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 12:03 PM   #1
Registered Member

View RAJOD's Photo Album My Photos
Default Frozen Frost Free silcock puzzle

Need an expert opinion on this.

My house is around 1970 it does have frost free silcocks. I was taught by my father never to mess with outside spigots in the winter because problems can happen. Well here is one for you.

I assume frost free does not mean they can't freeze but its better than the older way.

It was around 15 deg F and a cleaning guy tries to use the outside spigot.
he says he can't get enough flow so he hooked up inside.

About 3 days later we have water in the basement and find the outdoor spigot is running. The guy says it was frozen, at first I thought he said he turn it all the way on but no water came out. Then he changed the story to I could not turn it at all.

I'm trying to give him the benefit but I just do not see how its possible.
I can see him turning it all the way on and no water (but its frost free) and then the sun thaws it out and it starts to flow.
But I can't see how he could wrench on it with all his might find he can't even turn it. Then have the sun warm it up and it starts flowing.

It was about 1/2 way open when we found it running.

So he had to have turned it 1/2 way and walked away for what ever reason. Maybe was getting something out of his truck.

It would have to be frozen 1 foot into the house. Is it possible the turn it then break the ice where its frozen yet no water comes out till later?

Later I tested it on a cold day and it was not hard to turn, its not like it was rusted.

Anyway our house never had a shut off, I put one in after that.

Any theories on how it could have be frozen like he said and have it start flowing later?

Sure I suppose someone snuck up to our home who was stronger than him and wrenched it open and left it running. Not likely.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 10-04-2010, 12:06 PM   #2
Illinois Licensed Plumber

View SewerRatz's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via MSN to SewerRatz Send a message via Yahoo to SewerRatz

Its the gremlins I tell you.
Old 10-04-2010, 12:16 PM   #3

View Airgap's Photo Album My Photos

Now you have a shutoff....

I would be glad about that....

Could've been a lot worse....

Move on with your life....

Wide is the path, narrow is the gate. But one day all will acknowledge, many to their everlasting sorrow.

MOΛΩN ΛABÉ
The Following User Says Thank You to Airgap For This Useful Post:
SewerRatz (10-04-2010)
Old 10-04-2010, 12:37 PM   #4

View SlickRick's Photo Album My Photos

Thanks for posting on PlumbingZone.com. The Moderators of this forum would prefer if you post Do It Yourself related topics on our sister site www.DIYChatroom.com

PlumbingZone.com is designed for professional plumbers to discuss issues and topics related to their profession. Many of our plumbers are also members at DIYChatroom.com and are looking forward to assist you with your needs.

Please take a moment to post your question at www.DIYChatroom.com If your not already a member of DIYChatroom.com you can sign up for a free account by going to http://www.diychatroom.com/register.php/

We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused. This thread has been closed.
The Following User Says Thank You to SlickRick For This Useful Post:
SewerRatz (10-04-2010)
Closed Thread