Delta shower help - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Professional Plumbers Forum > Residential Plumbing

Old 03-19-2017, 04:45 PM   #1

View AKdaplumba's Photo Album My Photos
Default Delta shower help

It's a delta shower with a balancing spool.

Their is almost no flow on the cold side, hot is fine. I figured out it's not the cartridge. When I took out the internal piece of the spool and threw it back in to test it their was lots of flow on the cold side. I take it the spool needs to be replaced. The spool it's self looks fine. No build up or anything. I have eliminated everything else that I thought could be the problem. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
Out plumb
AKdaplumba is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AKdaplumba For This Useful Post:
plumbdrum (03-19-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2017, 06:54 PM   #2
philosopher and statesmen

View Master Mark's Photo Album My Photos

is it the 1700 style or the 1400??

I have tangled with the 1700s before..

If the faucet was made for both tub and shower
and they capped off the tub part then there is still a
diverter built into the body of the faucet.. it is built in
above the cartridge right as it goes out
up to the shower ....

You basically have to smack the brass
body of the faucet where the copper riser is soldered in with a hammer and small cold chisel a number of times to break up the rust and dirt that has gotten stuck at that spot...

this sounds very stupid but I have been tricked and fooled by this quirk in the design of this faucet before..
I have had to do this a number of times
and for some reason it fixes the problem in the pressure balanced spool.. just dont ask me how........ ...
Master Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 07:34 PM   #3

Checking both, it doesn't look like either. the cartridge is the ball type with the spool threaded in on the cold side between the cartridge and the integral. The cartridge is a 3 hole design. the cold is the top right, hot is the top left and the mixing hole is the center bottom. Where does it build up? The cold side or the mixing hole?
Out plumb

Old 03-19-2017, 07:42 PM   #4

View hanzkunzel's Photo Album My Photos

It may not be the best way, but I have successfully brought a balancing spool from a moen back to life with a 1 hour CLR bath. It also doesn't hurt to isolate the valve, remove the shower head and flip the shower arm upside down and fill the whole valve body with CLR or vinegar and let soak as well. Just remember to but some waterproof grease on the orings and threads when you finish. If you have a delta rough in cap I'd remove the cartridge and put that in place (Don't put the hot side plug in) if doing the whole valve soak to get better results.
hanzkunzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 11:36 PM   #5

View rjbphd's Photo Album My Photos

Geezer man, replace it with a MOENTROL and be a hero

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk
rjbphd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 07:08 PM   #6

View Tommy plumber's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKdaplumba View Post
It's a delta shower with a balancing spool.

Their is almost no flow on the cold side, hot is fine. I figured out it's not the cartridge. When I took out the internal piece of the spool and threw it back in to test it their was lots of flow on the cold side. I take it the spool needs to be replaced. The spool it's self looks fine. No build up or anything. I have eliminated everything else that I thought could be the problem. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Shake the spool. Do you hear anything? Purchase a new one and shake it. Notice anything?
The new one will rattle when shaken. The frozen one won't. Soaking in vinegar may help, but I prefer to replace with new if possible. The new part will have new "O" rings, brass that isn't corroded, new grease etc.
Old 03-21-2017, 02:02 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy plumber View Post
Shake the spool. Do you hear anything? Purchase a new one and shake it. Notice anything?
The new one will rattle when shaken. The frozen one won't. Soaking in vinegar may help, but I prefer to replace with new if possible. The new part will have new "O" rings, brass that isn't corroded, new grease etc.
The spool looks spotless and it does raddle.I will try the CLR.

Do you guys put CLR in and wait an hour on a service call?
Out plumb