CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Professional Plumbers Forum > Residential Plumbing

Old 11-22-2011, 08:50 PM   #1

View voltatab's Photo Album My Photos
Default Copper dwv

Is there any benefit to using copper for drains instead of abs, pvc or cast iron?

The above all seem to have their own benefits and draw backs over eachother, except copper that I know of.

Is there any application where you need to use copper drains rather than the others? I have a large home that is all abs underground and 1st floor, then cast in the ceilings and 2nd floor for sound.....then there's a sewage ejector that uses a 2" copper drain. I don't get it, why use copper for that?
The ho wants me to replace the copper drain (crawlspace) because it developed a pinhole leak. What draw ago do I have replacing it with abs?

Thanks guys
voltatab is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 11-22-2011, 09:02 PM   #2

View plbgbiz's Photo Album My Photos

Support spacing is further on copper than plastic and you can sometimes run copper in tighter spaces than PVC because of the smaller OD of the pipe and the much smaller fittings. Other than that, I don't know that you gain much other than a few style points.
plbgbiz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 09:14 PM   #3
Registered Member

View Mississippiplum's Photo Album My Photos

Copper is used in commercial kitchens on 3 comp sinks and dishwashers and such because of the temp of the water, Also it is ran from the floor sinks that have extremely hot water dumping into them such as on the floor sink for a dishwasher that cleanses with extremely hot water (140'F +) these temps cause PVC to become weak and what you could call "flimsy" same effect to abs. Normaly when copper or cast is ran from a floor sink it adaptes to PVC after the "cool down" distance has been achieved.
Mississippiplum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mississippiplum For This Useful Post:
plbgbiz (11-22-2011), Tommy plumber (11-22-2011)
Old 11-22-2011, 09:18 PM   #4

View incarnatopnh's Photo Album My Photos

All the copper drains I have run into in residential I end up changing out. They all split on the bottom. But mind you, they are all 40+ years old too.
incarnatopnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 09:19 PM   #5

Ok good. I basically told the ho that there's no need to keep the drain in copper, but that I would double check.
Old 11-22-2011, 10:24 PM   #6

View xyleman's Photo Album My Photos

code here states that you are not allowed to run copper dwv below the flood level rim of a urinal.Also shouldn't the pump be pumping through a psi rated piping? I know i see it pumping through dwv piping all the time, but it could be more to put on the table.
xyleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 10:24 PM   #7

View plbgbiz's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippiplum View Post
Copper is used in commercial kitchens on 3 comp sinks and dishwashers and such because of the temp of the water...
Yep, copper is definitely the way to go if there are high temps involved. May not be much of an issue in the house though.
plbgbiz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 11:05 PM   #8
Registered Member

View TX MECH PLUMBER's Photo Album My Photos

They use copper on the ejector pump because of the strength it has over pcv!!! It won't flex and crack and loosen when the pump kicks off and on!! And it's stronger so it holds the head pressure better !! If I ran PVC off any pump I'd run sch 80 and brace it very well !! I've done lots of lift stations and ejector pumps and always use sch 80 or copper !!!
TX MECH PLUMBER is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TX MECH PLUMBER For This Useful Post:
HOMER (11-23-2011), xyleman (11-22-2011)
Old 11-22-2011, 11:11 PM   #9

Reeeeaaaalllly.....

Good to know.
Old 11-22-2011, 11:11 PM   #10

View xyleman's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX MECH PLUMBER View Post
They use copper on the ejector pump because of the strength it has over pcv!!! It won't flex and crack and loosen when the pump kicks off and on!! And it's stronger so it holds the head pressure better !! If I ran PVC off any pump I'd run sch 80 and brace it very well !! I've done lots of lift stations and ejector pumps and always use sch 80 or copper !!!
when you are piping lift stations is it dwv copper or type L etc. that you are using? I was always told dwv piping was for what it is labeled as,that being said i learn something new everyday!
xyleman is offline   Reply With Quote