Employee issue - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Business Zone > Business, Marketing, and Sales

Like Tree14Likes

Old 12-08-2016, 08:57 PM   #1

View JohnsonPlumbing's Photo Album My Photos
Default Employee issue

4 months ago an employee was argumentative while changing trailer brakes. He did them they way he wanted to regardless of what I told him.
Today rearended someone while unalbe to stop. Took 500 ft to stop at 15 mph. Then said " you were driving like an ******* with a skid steer on trailer" and said I was an idiot I wouldnt to back to job without properly fixing trailer brakes.
I said this trailer is out of service a kid could have been run over.

What to do. Gross insubordination.
Can him?
What makes an employee think they can act and talk that way?
Time to move on to a new employer who lets you talk like that?

Im baffled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JohnsonPlumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2016, 09:35 PM   #2

View FranLand's Photo Album My Photos

He refused to do what you asked him in the first place? Then later when there was an issue, called you an idiot?

Yes can him. If you are looking for middle option, maybe tell him he is on temporary leave until you determine the outcome of the infraction. Let him loose 3 days or a week of pay. Then, if he hasn't quit at that point, tell him you are willing to keep him on for a 90 probationary period and during that period he will receive probationary pay - then cut his pay for three months and tell him if there are any other infractions during the probationary period he will be terminated.

Keep in mind that doing this may cause him to have a poor and destructive attitude with the company going forward but it sounds as though he already has that. If you do nothing - it will get worse.
CoachDavid likes this.
FranLand is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FranLand For This Useful Post:
JohnsonPlumbing (12-08-2016)
Old 12-08-2016, 09:41 PM   #3
rwh

View rwh's Photo Album My Photos

Maybe you should pay a mechanic to do the trailer brakes. He is a plumber? Or a mechanic?
rwh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to rwh For This Useful Post:
GAN (12-09-2016), JohnsonPlumbing (12-08-2016), Master Mark (12-09-2016), mpm (12-27-2016), mtfallsmikey (12-28-2016), Tommy plumber (12-09-2016)

Old 12-08-2016, 10:19 PM   #4

View The Dane's Photo Album My Photos

First off, you should not have made a plumber do a mechanics job. Second, it does not matter what the subject was, his actions and attitude justifies a termination immediately in my book.

MDservices likes this.
The Dane is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Dane For This Useful Post:
JohnsonPlumbing (12-08-2016), Tommy plumber (12-09-2016)
Old 12-08-2016, 11:11 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dane View Post
First off, you should not have made a plumber do a mechanics job. Second, it does not matter what the subject was, his actions and attitude justifies a termination immediately in my book.

Thanks
Old 12-08-2016, 11:12 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwh View Post
Maybe you should pay a mechanic to do the trailer brakes. He is a plumber? Or a mechanic?

Dear Rwh;

When were slow I keep the employees busy on equipment repair and upkeep
justme likes this.
Old 12-08-2016, 11:15 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dane View Post

Thank you
Old 12-08-2016, 11:18 PM   #8
rwh

View rwh's Photo Album My Photos

You get what you pay for
rwh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 07:54 AM   #9
philosopher and statesmen

View Master Mark's Photo Album My Photos

your best bet is to just get rid of him in a way that he quits you and just does not show up again...

he is basically just wanting you to fire him so he can kick back on your un-employment benefits for 90 days ....sometimes in all honesty its just best to let them do this to you instead of the damage the a-hole can do to your equipment and your customer base... a few bad reviews on google is not worth keeping him.......

I suggest that you take that kid out and find some god awful nasty job that he is gonna have to stand in shi/ AND hand dig all day long in a ditch.... tell him that this is his assignment for the next few weeks and see what happens..

THAT HAS WORKED FOR ME TWICE ALREADY...

I suggest that you find a good garage to do your maintaince on your trucks..
it will not cost you more, it will overall cost you less to do it this way for both moral of you employees and the quality of the work...

My father used to make me and some other employees repair flat tires on a dually ford truck way back in time... taking apart flat tires by hand and wasting hours fooling with something stupid like this made him look like a cheap dumb assed fool, and finally it came very close to a rebellion .........it is just not wise.....

dont be a cheap ass ...

OpenSights likes this.
Master Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Master Mark For This Useful Post:
JohnsonPlumbing (12-09-2016)
Old 12-09-2016, 08:32 AM   #10

View Tommy plumber's Photo Album My Photos

He was still working for you after arguing with the boss? You should have fired him.

People must have respect for authority. Whether it is a judge, a boss, a mom, a dad or some other person in a position of authority. When people get out of line,{ie.: insubordination} they should be reprimanded, demoted, or fired. I'm not talking about disagreeing with the boss. An employee should be encouraged to speak his or her mind but not in a nasty and disrespectful tone.
FranLand and CoachDavid like this.
JohnsonPlumbing (12-09-2016)