Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
PLUMBERS, CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Plumbing Forum > Business, Marketing, and Sales

Old 08-08-2010, 05:17 PM   #1

View user2090's Photo Album My Photos
Default Business Software

I did a search for the best business software, and did not find anything conclusive on the Zone. So, let me ask a very direct question in hopes of getting simple answers.

For a small shop 1-5 employees, residential service, and remodel plumbing. What is the best business software to use? Not trying to be a jerk, but if you don't fit the parameters please don't respond. If you were at one time, then please do.

From what I found Quickbooks seems to fit the bill, but according to an independent org. MYOB seems the best buy. The site did not specify a plumbing business, so that is why I am asking.

user2090 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Plumbers Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

PlumbingZone.com - Are you a Professional Plumbing Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for plumbers to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that PlumbingZone.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join PlumbingZone.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!
Old 08-08-2010, 08:54 PM   #2
Registered Member

View OldSchool's Photo Album My Photos

We use quickbooks
OldSchool is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OldSchool For This Useful Post:
user2090 (08-08-2010)
Old 08-08-2010, 09:31 PM   #3
philosopher and statesmen

View Master Mark's Photo Album My Photos
Talking quick books pro

quick books pro is all I have used for 12 years

very simple, very easy ...very cheap
Master Mark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 11:28 PM   #4

View ckoch407's Photo Album My Photos

You say "Business Software" and mention MYOB and QB. Those are both accounting only programs. I hear MYOB is a good program but there arent as many features as QB such as payroll and integrated merchant services. I currently use QB Pro Contractor Edition and it gets the job done. Nice simple easy to use. Merchant service processing is easy to use and has lots of useful functions such as online terminal, auto processing. Having said that, I am in the middle of converting to Succesware as it has tons of industry specific features for management as well as accounting, such as service history, warranty tracking for equipment on installs, agreements. Most of all the scheduling and dispatching features are awesome. I tried some scheduling add on apps from Intuit for QB that were complete garbage. If all you want is accounting though, I would say QB Pro is the absolute best bang for your buck.
ckoch407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 04:54 PM   #5
Madame Moderator

View Phat Cat's Photo Album My Photos

Quickbooks for accounting . . . most CPAs are very familiar with it. Learning curve is not that steep.

I have looked into Total Office Management - looks like an excellent program for a plumbing service business. Too expensive for the time being and number of employees. At some point I might take the leap.

Aptora Software for creating your own pricebooks.
Old 08-09-2010, 05:00 PM   #6

View SlickRick's Photo Album My Photos

Quickbooks Pro. here.
SlickRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 06:55 PM   #7
Hecho In America

View Titan Plumbing's Photo Album My Photos

Quickbooks Shoebox Pro here.......

Titan Plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Titan Plumbing For This Useful Post:
SlickRick (08-09-2010)
Old 08-09-2010, 09:07 PM   #8
philosopher and statesmen

View Master Mark's Photo Album My Photos
Talking ....the kiss rule.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlumbCrazy View Post
Quickbooks for accounting . . . most CPAs are very familiar with it. Learning curve is not that steep.

I have looked into Total Office Management - looks like an excellent program for a plumbing service business. Too expensive for the time being and number of employees. At some point I might take the leap.

Aptora Software for creating your own pricebooks.

you already stated it all with the fact that most accontants
are very familiar with quick books.... that keeps your accounting costs down to a bare minimum...

and you are not at the mercy of any secretaries that
claim they are worth what you are paying them and
only want to steal you blind......

the other thing you have to think about is the cold hard fact that most of us are plumbers ... we are probably street smart but not possibly book smart as we need to be

and most of us are not in the mood to go back and take a college course just to figure out how in the heck to run the complicated software programs you just bought ....

I keep things real simple with quick books for deposits and bills, and I use ADP for my payroll each week and taxes..

I think it all could be done on quick books but I am too dumb or lazy to figure that out either.....it all wroks like a well greased machine.....

kiss......keep it simple stupid....
Master Mark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 10:29 PM   #9
Seasoned Vet

View CardinalPlumbing's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via ICQ to CardinalPlumbing

I have to say that I have File Maker 11 Pro for Mac and it is a nice simple program with some nice templates you can tweek to your needs. I've been designing my "System" for a couple of months now and I'm liking it.
CardinalPlumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 10:34 PM   #10

View Plumber Jim's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardinalPumbing View Post
I have to say that I have File Maker 11 Pro for Mac and it is a nice simple program with some nice templates you can tweek to your needs. I've been designing my "System" for a couple of months now and I'm liking it.
I use filemaker 10 and have it hosted online and I made it so i have all my invoices customers and my job scheduler on it. I can access it from anywhere on my laptop.
Plumber Jim is offline   Reply With Quote