CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Professional Plumbers Forum > Boilers, Hot Water & Steam Heating

Old 03-13-2010, 03:44 PM   #1

View 907plumber's Photo Album My Photos
Default Difference Between Open and closed systems

whats the difference between an open boiler system and a closed? Or what is the definition of each?

I was looking at another thread that was talking about aqua pex being used for a closed system boiler (how that was a no-no) but would be okay for an open system
907plumber is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 03-13-2010, 05:31 PM   #2
Registered Member

View OldSchool's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by 907plumber View Post
whats the difference between an open boiler system and a closed? Or what is the definition of each?

I was looking at another thread that was talking about aqua pex being used for a closed system boiler (how that was a no-no) but would be okay for an open system
An open system is open to the atmosphere. Like an out door wood boiler also a HWT is considered open sytem.

A closed system is like an indoor boiler with a boiler feed that is pressurized to the pressure you need to rise the water to the given height you need ( top floor )

On a closed system you are able to use black pipe or cast Iron boiler or steel. Any oxgen getting in to the system ( usually by adding new water )
will corrode the pipe, pumps, boiler.

Hepex has an oxgen barrier which limits the amount of oxgen that can enter the pipe from the atmosphere. Aqua Pex has no barrier.

Hope that helped to answer your question
OldSchool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 08:28 PM   #3

View 907plumber's Photo Album My Photos

yeah that answered it thanks. I have never seen a open system.
907plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 07:54 AM   #4
Registered Member

View OldSchool's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by 907plumber View Post
yeah that answered it thanks. I have never seen a open system.
You must have seen an open system before because a HWT is considered open.

Any time a system has new water going into it all of the time .... it is considered open.

Water has oxgen it in..... once that is boiled the oxgen comes out of the water.
OldSchool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 06:35 PM   #5

View gladerunner's Photo Album My Photos

I always thought an open system was a system relying only on the pressure of static head. we used to see alot of what we called open systems where there was an open overflow on the roof, usally with an expansion tank in attic. could only work as gravity system. no circulator
gladerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 07:49 PM   #6

View njoy plumbing's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladerunner View Post
I always thought an open system was a system relying only on the pressure of static head. we used to see alot of what we called open systems where there was an open overflow on the roof, usally with an expansion tank in attic. could only work as gravity system. no circulator
That is one form of open system.
njoy plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 04:00 PM   #7

View trick1's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladerunner View Post
Was always fun to watch a new guy look for the expansion tank on one of those systems

Then you would open an attic door or third floor closet door and find it along with the pipe leading through the roof
trick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 07:18 PM   #8

View jimclemmer's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchool View Post
An open system is open to the atmosphere. Like an out door wood boiler also a HWT is considered open sytem.

A closed system is like an indoor boiler with a boiler feed that is pressurized to the pressure you need to rise the water to the given height you need ( top floor )

On a closed system you are able to use black pipe or cast Iron boiler or steel. Any oxgen getting in to the system ( usually by adding new water )
will corrode the pipe, pumps, boiler.

Hepex has an oxgen barrier which limits the amount of oxgen that can enter the pipe from the atmosphere. Aqua Pex has no barrier.

Hope that helped to answer your question

hey
Yeah i agree with your answer
Closed system normally operates above atmospheric pressure, this pressure is achieved by a filling loop connected from the mains water supply to the system.
open systems works at natural atmospheric pressure as the feed/expansion tank is open to the air.

Thanks

Regards
Ambani

Last edited by jimclemmer; 04-07-2010 at 05:36 PM..
jimclemmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 08:37 PM   #9

View Scott K's Photo Album My Photos

The common defintiion in the trade for an open system versus closed system is an open system is any system that receives constant or semi-constant introduction of oxygenated water. This means new, fresh water, potable or otherwise. ALL components must have superior corrosion resistance and are often made out of non-ferrous metals (i.e. brass, copper, bronze) or stainless steel, titanium, etc. These systems can be pressurized or not, but the most common system would be something along the lines of using a hot water tank through a heat exchanger to give off heat to a closed system or (not recommended) a hot water tank giving off heat to radiant loops. But if you let that water sit over the summer monthes and then pump it back into the tank you have a health hazard.

Closed systems depend on very slight to absolutely no incoming fresh water which can cause corrosion of any ferrous components (e.g. steel/cast iron). By using air removal devices, expansion tanks, piping with an oxygen barrier (i.e. metal piping or O2 barrier plastic pipe), and backflow preventers, most to all of the water in a closed system is often the same water it was filled up with when it was commissioned when new. The oxygen in initial fill is removed and subsequently no more corrossion can take place. This allows cheaper pumps, piping, & components to be utilized reducing costs of the equipment & installation. Any leaks or problems in the system can cause varying levels of corrosion through the introduction of fresh oxygenated water into the system. There are varying ways to mitigate in systems designed as closed systems to reduce this potential.
Scott K is offline   Reply With Quote