Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

mini seesnake or max rm200

7K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  theplungerman 
#1 ·
hey everyone i need some advise for a new camera reel. I am looking at
a mini seesnake or the new max rm200. if any of you have used them, pros or cons. I have been using a spartan 2.0 and a seesnake plus.

#7 ·
I don't like the new reel design. Looks like a pain in the nutz to disassemble if the pushrod gets tangled (happens to me sometimes).

I have seen the new one and I know that the camera head is smaller and the push rod is thinner and slicker. Supposed to be able to push it farther out.

I don't think either are ideal for 6". The mini doesn't seem to be bright enough for me in 6".

......but.....if you are going from 3" PVC into 4" cast or 6" cast or clay, I can see the new reel being the better choice. 3" 1/4 bends can be a bear to get the old mini through.

#13 ·
I haven't had a problem with my Rm200 yet. However I've only used it 4 times. But each time I can make it to the city tap with no problem. All pipe was PVC Sch 40 or S&D 3034 (3" to 6").

For one customer I've pushed all the way out to 170 feet with minimal resistance. Customer was complaining of black worms crawling up into the toilet. I couldn't find any gelantinous buildup or cracks in the piping, but at soon as I reached the city tap the dam sewer flies and black worms were highly concentrated. The customer is in a commercial industrial park area with very few neighbors. I told him that the infestation is coming from a nearby sewer tap that has probably been run over. Didn't know what else to say.

Back on the Rm200: The lighting is amazing.
Whats weird though is that the ridgid rep called up fergusons (where I bought it from) about a week ago and said they have an upgrade on the reel. All I have to do is ship it in free of charge. Sounds to me more like a recall. Don't know the full details yet but will let you know as soon as possible.

#17 ·
Had a demo with these two today.
Went in 3inch to 4inch abs then 4inch clay.
The mini pushed further to about 125 ft with many turns, then petered out after a 4 in clay 90, the rm200 petered out immediately after the 4inch clay 90 to about 110. I didn't try water.
The rm200 pushed easier in the beginning but not enough to make it a big deal.
Both camera heads seemed to be of equal brightness.
The bend at the connection of rod to camera head was almost the same so going around bends would only be determined by the rod and size of camera head,,,, as both will bend about the same.
I liked the mini better and will be my choice.
It's a smaller footprint and the housing on the rm which doesn't move didn't move me, pun not intended.
The rm is not worth the extra money and if it was the same I would still go for the mini,,,, I think,,,,, this is what I think.

#18 ·
Thanks for the info on the RM200 product

I too was considering the new RM200 reel. I am glad I read you post. I have the mini seesnake and it fulfills the majority of my needs. I can not push it as far as my old Spartan / Sreco unit and I still have it in reserve for those long pushes through crappy piping. But I heard of a guy in Montana who assists his ridgid mini on long pushes with a push rod / cable. I gather he tapes or secures the push rod along side the seesnake cable. I could see this working, but wonder about the two cables possibly creating a catch point. I think I would tape the two together every few feet to keep things tidy and avoid loops being created.

Any body heard of this?

#19 ·
After further use I must give testimony that the Max RM200 is not worth purchasing.
Stick with the mini seesnake!

I've already kinked the damn thing trying to get through a 3" PVC P-trap (that was not clogged and was the only access point I could find). My only conclusion at the time was that the glue joints on the pvc p-trap were not flush. Ridgid claims it can push through a 2" p-trap. I don't recommend that!

In total (after fixing, shipping and handling, and insurance) it cost me a total of $550 to fix the kink by an authorized Ridgid service tech.

Granted, I've had good luck with it on PVC and residential applications. Yet when it comes to commercial applications such as restaurants with old cast iron and retrofitted PVC remodels, I really don't even bother trying to use the thing. I'd rather spend 2 to 3 hours with my drain cable and retriever head pulling out silverware, so I can give the evidence to the restaurant owner first hand.

Stick with the Mini!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.