CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Professional Plumbers Forum > Drain and Sewer Cleaning

Old 12-05-2010, 08:52 PM   #1

View goodwin98's Photo Album My Photos
Default How much to charge for sewer camera inspection

How do you guys go about charging for only a sewer inspection with a camera. Im in a small town and the only one with a camera in the town. the plumbers I have been doing it for so far say other people can never locate the problem. I havent missed one yet im just wondering ways to market my camera service?

Austin
goodwin98 is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 12-05-2010, 09:11 PM   #2
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶

View Protech's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Skype™ to Protech

What did your camera cost? How many uses will you get out of it?

I charge more than $250 (not going to say how much more) to inspect a line and everyone in town has a camera........
Protech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 09:13 PM   #3

View JK949's Photo Album My Photos

We charge $275 for camera, location and video. Your costs may vary, I would not undervalue yourself if you're as skilled as you say. Market to homebuyers before they commit to a money pit.
JK949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 09:14 PM   #4
Canadian Red Seal Plumber

View Lifer's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via MSN to Lifer

100.oo bux here for the cam and 2 guy's= 98 bux per hour . I am in a small town as well and there are 3 cam's in town .... so as far as I can see we get around 300.00 when it's all said and done ..

Lifer
Lifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 09:17 PM   #5
No Longer at This Address

View ToUtahNow's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodwin98 View Post
How do you guys go about charging for only a sewer inspection with a camera. Im in a small town and the only one with a camera in the town. the plumbers I have been doing it for so far say other people can never locate the problem. I havent missed one yet im just wondering ways to market my camera service?

Austin
I am a little different as I charge $250 a day whether it is for one home or 10 homes. I charge an additional $250 a day for a locator. When reviewing job files from other plumbers it seems most are around $175 to $250 but I've seen as high as $375.

There are also a ton of crooks out there that do it for free because they tell you you need a pricey repair but do not give you a video for proof. I did one in Henderson three weeks ago where the HO had watched the plumber run the camera.

The guy only got the camera in 10' and told the guy it was full of a hard substance he could not get past. His boss did not have a video but wrote a letter explaining the problem. The only thing I found at 10' was an 1/8 bend. However, I did find a 25' belly in the line just past the 1/8 bend. The plumber was right in that it needed a repair but he never would have known that because he never made it that far.

Mark
ToUtahNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 10:38 PM   #6

Protech I got about $13000 in everything and im not real sure on how long it will last.
I have been charging $300 maybe alittle high. I have found it kinda like pulling teeth getting the home onwer to use the camera and we all know it saves alot of money most times. ToUtahNow had the same kinda deal the other day 3 plumbers were there with different opinions 2 being dig it up one tryed with the camera but was to scared to go past the first 5' I used the camera and then jetted it and cameraed it again and problem solved!
The Following User Says Thank You to goodwin98 For This Useful Post:
ToUtahNow (12-05-2010)
Old 12-05-2010, 11:05 PM   #7
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶

View Protech's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Skype™ to Protech

say you get 100 uses out of your equipment as I doubt you'll get any more than that.

That means you need to charge a minimum of $130 per use just to cover the equipment costs. This does not include gas getting to the job, wear and tear on the vehicle, amortized insurance costs, amortized advertising costs, employee labor, and uhhhhh oh yeah PROFIT.

I would say your right on the money at $300 or even a bit low.
Protech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 11:07 PM   #8

What Kinda of cameras do you guys have and do you do any mainline jobs with them of do you need one of the those crawler cams? Im just wondering because there are alot of small towns around here that dont have a camera.
Old 12-05-2010, 11:10 PM   #9

Yeah you got a good point theres always that PROFIT thing haha is that what im looking at 100 uses whats the first thing to go on the camera?
Old 12-05-2010, 11:49 PM   #10

View breid1903's Photo Album My Photos

you don't need or want all the camera work. only the profitable. sit down with notebook and figure out what your true cost of operation is. figure in repair costs. then your profit. add them together. that is what you charge. ps. i would tell all my plumber friends how much a camera costs, how much upkeep there is and that if i had to do it over again i would never have bought the thing. but you are just trying to pay off your investment. hopefully this ain't true but you don't want them to buy a camera. i would use the search function on here and over at the dark side (ridgidforum). you will get a feel for camera problems and costs of repair. i would flat out lie to my buds about costs of keeping it going. breid...........
breid1903 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to breid1903 For This Useful Post:
Hillside (12-06-2010)