CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Professional Plumbers Forum > Drain and Sewer Cleaning

View Poll Results: Check what best represents
Yes, do it all the time 6 50.00%
No, cables are wore out at that point 3 25.00%
Maybe, but don't know about innercore types 0 0%
I would if I had a welder 0 0%
Easier just to buy new and be done with it 3 25.00%
No, I don't trust my welds even if I could 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-26-2011, 08:19 PM   #1
www.DunbarPlumbing.com

View DUNBAR PLUMBING's Photo Album My Photos
Default Do you trust repairing Drain Cables?

I'm finding out after spending boo koo bucks on cables that I have even another cable that is shot at the connection, and since I have a full size welding shop thanks to my other businesses, it's a matter of attempting to repair the cable that's shot at the end.

I haven't even been to Spartan's website to see if they have them, but I'm assuming they do.

I just tore down two drums tonight, took the power feed off and found a seized wheel on one side of the equation. Tore it down, cleaned it, got it turning again and repacked it with grease and works fine.

Bent up my 100 cable like a whip at the end, it's certainly a stiff cable but I'd expect that at $225.00. 3/8" by 75'.

Even though my machine was heavily dirty, my powerfeed handle has become extremely sloppy over the years, move back and forth along with forward and backward in front of the machine. Still works, can't see a replacement for years to come.

But the question is, would you chance welding on your repair connections? It's all about good penetration of the two metals, not so much the look it has of a weld.

If I chance operating my machine with the connection I have right now, I'm just asking for disaster.

What tears them up (and the cable) is running them through traps, floor drains.

Sometimes options are limited on emergency calls and it's easy to get lazy and work it through a floor drain, get it open and gone. Pulling a toilet, busting an old cleanout out of a questionable older piping system can expand the job when you don't want it to.

Last edited by DUNBAR PLUMBING; 01-26-2011 at 08:32 PM..
DUNBAR PLUMBING is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 01-26-2011, 08:22 PM   #2
I'm right your wrong

View easttexasplumb's Photo Album My Photos

No the last thing I want is a customer to see a coupling, where cable should be. It would be a whole lot easier to explain that the cable broke because of a bad spot in their line.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:33 PM   #3
www.DunbarPlumbing.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by easttexasplumb View Post
No the last thing I want is a customer to see a coupling, where cable should be. It would be a whole lot easier to explain that the cable broke because of a bad spot in their line.

If I was to try this, I'd be losing 1" off my cables. The cables are actually in good shape, just older.

That doesn't mean I haven't destroyed a cable or two in the day.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:35 PM   #4

View RW Plumbing's Photo Album My Photos

It would be rather difficult to retrive the half of my cable that got stuck in someone's drain. I'm a good welder, and I wouldn't even trust it. Drain cables are pricey but not as pricey as unsuccessfully retrieving a cable that broke off.
RW Plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RW Plumbing For This Useful Post:
easttexasplumb (01-26-2011), Phat Cat (01-27-2011)
Old 01-26-2011, 08:43 PM   #5
www.DunbarPlumbing.com

$7.25

That's the part I need to fix my problem. Mine is spread outwards bad, and the next thing that happens is it always snaps off.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:54 PM   #6

View 504Plumber's Photo Album My Photos

I'm not exactly sure if you are talking about welding cables together or not. When a little breaks off our 1/2" cables, we do weld a new end on it to connect the blades, however I wouldn't trust a welded together cable. Last thing I want late in the evening or on a weekend is dragging a poo filled cable out of a line and through a customers house..
504Plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 08:58 PM   #7
www.DunbarPlumbing.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by 504Plumber View Post
I'm not exactly sure if you are talking about welding cables together or not. When a little breaks off our 1/2" cables, we do weld a new end on it to connect the blades, however I wouldn't trust a welded together cable. Last thing I want late in the evening or on a weekend is dragging a poo filled cable out of a line and through a customers house..

The piece above, you cut off the bad end, then crank the connection on (hard to do) and then weld it so it cannot spin out.

I wouldn't splice a cable, meaning, add more points of failure into the equation. I'll spend the money on a new cable at that point.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:05 PM   #8

View Hillside's Photo Album My Photos

I'd cut it clean, wire wheel it and weld it up, Gorlitz makes a tool to install new tips (cable spreader), my sewer shop that has been around for 40+ years does it and we haven't had any problems, it would b the same thing if you added a cable to your existing 75' with a coupling right? Some sewers around here are 200' plus, I have 200' on a drum and 200' on a spare,
Hillside is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 09:13 PM   #9

View 504Plumber's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillsidePlumbco
I'd cut it clean, wire wheel it and weld it up, Gorlitz makes a tool to install new tips (cable spreader), my sewer shop that has been around for 40+ years does it and we haven't had any problems, it would b the same thing if you added a cable to your existing 75' with a coupling right? Some sewers around here are 200' plus, I have 200' on a drum and 200' on a spare,
Hate to pick that thing up
504Plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 504Plumber For This Useful Post:
Hillside (01-27-2011)
Old 01-26-2011, 09:44 PM   #10

View ChrisConnor's Photo Album My Photos

I repair cables with a splice and no welding. When in the field I bend the cable over in a loop, hold with one foot and stomp the arc of the cable with the other foot and the cable breaks clean, then install splice. I might use a metal cutting blade on the grinder if its on the truck.

I don't use the cable spreader that Gorltiz sells because I feel that it's crucial to have all the coils around the spice to be uniform and tight around the splice. I've never had a splice come loose.

I good cable splice is almost undetectable.
ChrisConnor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ChrisConnor For This Useful Post:
UnclogNH (01-27-2011)