CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Plumbing Tools, Products & Safety > Plumbing Material and Products

Old 02-09-2009, 01:55 AM   #1
Certified Lunatic

View Redwood's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Skype™ to Redwood
Default Watts Floodsafe? Not Very!

For some time I have been posting telling people to avoid Watts Floodsafe supplies for Toilets, Faucets, Icemakers, Dishwashers, and Washing Machines.

I have been posting telling of how I had a customer have one break at the compression connector to the Floodsafe Valve connection point causing a lot of water damage to his home.

The day I did that job I did not have a camera with me to get a picture of the evidence. The Floodsafe Supply was not installed by me as I was already avoiding them because of the nuisance trips that are fairly well known to happen with them. The supply was retained by the customer as evidence.

Recently a person seeing one of my posts on this connection failure E-Mailed me photo's of the same thing happening at his house. A Watts Floodsafe Dishwasher Supply failed at the same connection that I was talking about. The connector was not over tightened, 1/3 of a turn with the wrench and the compression connector was turning by hand, pressure was 70 PSI. the valve just blew apart on it's own flooding the house and causing about $25K in damage maybe higher if the entire wood floor has to come up or, just the kitchen portion.

In his own words, "I think the valve was poorly manufactured or damaged during manufacture. Like I said before, no freeze, no physical damage I could see. Just blew all by itself. Bury Watts all you want, this product is crap."

Here is a picture of the failed connector under the sink.

Here is a picture of the failed connector. Note how the connection between the compression fitting and the safety valve is where the failure occurred. This left the compression fitting on the stop valve spraying water while the safety valve blew off.

Here is a picture of the label on the failed Watts Floodsafe Dishwasher Supply.

This is a picture of the flooded kitchen hardwood floor.

This is a picture of the ceiling below the kitchen prior to demo.

And this is the picture of the same area after demo.
Redwood is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 02-09-2009, 09:33 AM   #2
Professional Bullshioter

View ILPlumber's Photo Album My Photos

I know they take longer, but I do love rigid supplies.
Old 02-09-2009, 10:20 AM   #3
Registered Member

View user823's Photo Album My Photos

Has anyone ever tried the white colored pex 3/8 risers? My rep gave me a handful to try, haven't used them yet but they seem like they would work pretty good.
user823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 03:54 PM   #4
Ron
Banned

View Ron's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironranger View Post
Has anyone ever tried the white colored pex 3/8 risers? My rep gave me a handful to try, haven't used them yet but they seem like they would work pretty good.
Yes they work just fine. I have installed allot in the past.
Old 02-09-2009, 03:59 PM   #5
Professional Bullshioter

View ILPlumber's Photo Album My Photos

I've never used one. Do they require an inner stiffener at the compression joint?
Old 02-09-2009, 04:02 PM   #6
Ron
Banned

No, but you need to use the plastic compression sleeve
Old 02-09-2009, 04:23 PM   #7
www.DunbarPlumbing.com

View DUNBAR PLUMBING's Photo Album My Photos

Not to rain on the parade, but those pex risers have a habit of snaping off right at the edge of the ferrule and nut after 10-12 years if there's any bend in the line.

They harden up like every plastic does, then becomes brittle. If someone really turns a hard bend in the product, like for a toilet riser, that line will split right at the upper part of the turn.

I might be able to muster a few pictures of this, and new construction plumbers habitually use those damn brass ferrules which cut right into the edge of plastic.
DUNBAR PLUMBING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 07:44 PM   #8

View super plumber's Photo Album My Photos

i avoid anything with the WATTS name on it. a few years ago i was pushing the WATTS intelliflow washing machine valves...i eventually replaced about every damn i of them..about 30 or so. WATTS said they had not heard of any problems...BS. stay away from WATTS
super plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 07:48 PM   #9
Chase Plumber

View I'mYourTourGuide's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via MSN to I'mYourTourGuide Send a message via Yahoo to I'mYourTourGuide

That's why it says "turn the water on SLOWLY".

They know if you turn it on after installing and the hammer surge hits, it'll bust right in your face, haha.
Your #2 is my #1!
I'mYourTourGuide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 07:49 PM   #10
Ron
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roast Duck View Post
Not to rain on the parade, but those pex risers have a habit of snaping off right at the edge of the ferrule and nut after 10-12 years if there's any bend in the line.

They harden up like every plastic does, then becomes brittle. If someone really turns a hard bend in the product, like for a toilet riser, that line will split right at the upper part of the turn.

I might be able to muster a few pictures of this, and new construction plumbers habitually use those damn brass ferrules which cut right into the edge of plastic.
That's why I said use the plastic ferrules, compression sleeve.