CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Plumbing Tools, Products & Safety > Plumbing Material and Products

Old 09-26-2010, 11:22 PM   #1

View futz's Photo Album My Photos
Default Kohler 1pc with no trap fill tube

A friend (and customer) of mine has three fancy Kohler one piece toilets in his house. It's been too long for me to remember the model name or numbers. They have Fluidmaster 400A valves in them, but they have no trap fill tubes. The outlet port is still there, but it's solid plastic - no hole, and no tube.

He needs new valves throughout. The old ones are wearing out. But when I went there when the first one failed with a Pro45B I didn't know exactly what to do about the trap fill tube problem. I used it, but he hates the noise it makes. The toilet doesn't need one. Anyone ever successfully kink off or plug those hoses? Or should I order the genuine article and wait for months to get them? This is Canada, and parts often aren't very well stocked here (it's pathetic sometimes).
futz is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 09-26-2010, 11:26 PM   #2

View Plumber Jim's Photo Album My Photos

If he doesn't like the noise, You can order him an OEM fill valve from kohler and he can just pay more for the over priced valve.

Last edited by Plumber Jim; 09-26-2010 at 11:26 PM.. Reason: typo
Plumber Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 12:10 AM   #3
Certified Lunatic

View Redwood's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Skype™ to Redwood

I usually just clip it to the overflow so it sprays into the tank and not the overflow. If they object to the noise screw a stainless steel or brass screw into the stub on the fill valve...

Redwood is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Redwood For This Useful Post:
pauliplumber (09-27-2010)
Old 09-27-2010, 01:19 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwood View Post
I usually just clip it to the overflow so it sprays into the tank and not the overflow. If they object to the noise screw a stainless steel or brass screw into the stub on the fill valve...
That sounds like a plan. I have one possible source for Kohler parts. If they don't have them and I have to order and wait I'll just try one of those two solutions, or maybe I'll suddenly get creative when I'm there looking at it again and think of something better.

If you aim that water just right it doesn't make much noise. Obviously I didn't aim it good enough before. Maybe I can improve the aim. We shall see.

Hmmm... Extra long tube zip-tied to the outside of the overflow tube so it's always underwater? Slightly risky, but use extra zip-ties for redundancy. How do they age in water?
Old 09-27-2010, 01:54 AM   #5

View Plumber Jim's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by futz View Post
That sounds like a plan. I have one possible source for Kohler parts. If they don't have them and I have to order and wait I'll just try one of those two solutions, or maybe I'll suddenly get creative when I'm there looking at it again and think of something better.

If you aim that water just right it doesn't make much noise. Obviously I didn't aim it good enough before. Maybe I can improve the aim. We shall see.

Hmmm... Extra long tube zip-tied to the outside of the overflow tube so it's always underwater? Slightly risky, but use extra zip-ties for redundancy. How do they age in water?
If you put the tube of a 400a in the water it will siphon.
Plumber Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 07:09 AM   #6

View RealLivePlumber's Photo Album My Photos

I used a dab of 2 part epoxy in the 400A. Worked great.
RealLivePlumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 08:34 AM   #7
The Old (antique) Master

View PLUMBER_BILL's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by futz View Post
A friend (and customer) of mine has three fancy Kohler one piece toilets in his house. It's been too long for me to remember the model name or numbers. They have Fluidmaster 400A valves in them, but they have no trap fill tubes. The outlet port is still there, but it's solid plastic - no hole, and no tube.

He needs new valves throughout. The old ones are wearing out. But when I went there when the first one failed with a Pro45B I didn't know exactly what to do about the trap fill tube problem. I used it, but he hates the noise it makes. The toilet doesn't need one. Anyone ever successfully kink off or plug those hoses? Or should I order the genuine article and wait for months to get them? This is Canada, and parts often aren't very well stocked here (it's pathetic sometimes).
I think the toilet was a Rialto Flush valve was on the right. Ballcock on left no refill tube, but the valve did have an adjustable thumb screw. On a valve failure water could come into the tank faster than the overflow left it out. This ***** caused a lot of damage as the water would ru on the floor through the holes in the back of the tank. The repair now being sold is a new ballcock and included is a high capacity flush valve [opening about 1.25 x 2 inches.
A real PITA to install and adjust properly.

http://www.kohlerserviceparts.kohler...=0&PageSize=12

Looks like valve is not a F/M but a Coast Master
A little of this and a little of that

Last edited by PLUMBER_BILL; 09-27-2010 at 08:57 AM.. Reason: Added blue text
PLUMBER_BILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 10:23 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLUMBER_BILL View Post
I think the toilet was a Rialto Flush valve was on the right. Ballcock on left no refill tube, but the valve did have an adjustable thumb screw. On a valve failure water could come into the tank faster than the overflow left it out. This ***** caused a lot of damage as the water would ru on the floor through the holes in the back of the tank. The repair now being sold is a new ballcock and included is a high capacity flush valve [opening about 1.25 x 2 inches.
A real PITA to install and adjust properly.
Definitely not Rialto. I installed a lot of those long ago. Possibly San Raphael. No thumb screw on the fill valve. It's plain old 400A, but with plugged trap fill fitting.

EDIT: The toilets are a couple Rosarios and a San Martine (both discontinued now).

Last edited by futz; 09-27-2010 at 04:03 PM..
Old 09-27-2010, 10:24 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumber Jim View Post
If you put the tube of a 400a in the water it will siphon.
Siphon what? To where?
Old 09-27-2010, 10:27 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealLivePlumber View Post
I used a dab of 2 part epoxy in the 400A. Worked great.
Now that just makes me worry. Epoxy on plastic, unless you can rough up that plastic aggressively to give the epoxy something to key into, could slip. Then it would pop out and squirt out under the edge of the lid, damaging dude's super expensive house. Plastic is too slippery for epoxy to stick well to, in my opinion.