Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

Grease

3K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  ILPlumber 
#1 ·
We have had many EXCELLENT threads on which type of trap to use , etc .

I like to use sch 40 , metal nut traps BUT what a BI**CH to get apart even with a good pipe dope on them ( after some years ) .

What do you s think of using plumbers / faucet grease on the threads before first use ???

anybody do this ?? Pros - Cons ??

#3 ·
I bought a tub of anti-sieze compound several years ago. "Ni-Kal" I thinks it's called . . . has a look and texture similar to Master's Metallic thread sealant but less runny. Works really good.

There's nothing on the label re: toxicity or anything so I never use it on potable systems. Great for chrome p-traps and whatnot since it wipes right off after everythings tight and it'll all come apart almost by hand even after a few years. I got it at an industrial supply house.

#4 ·
I bought a tub of anti-sieze compound several years ago. "Ni-Kal" I thinks it's called . . . has a look and texture similar to Master's Metallic thread sealant but less runny. Works really good.

I was always taught "no lubricants, pipe dope or silicone on any joint with a rubber gasket". Right or wrong I don't know, but I do know that rubber slips out of place when oily. No reason that I can see for dope on slip joint trap threads.

From the old days though I will still use lamp wick where necessary.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.