Working For Neighboors. - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Plumbing Forum > General Plumbing Discussion

Like Tree17Likes

Old 05-17-2017, 02:16 PM   #1

View Fatpat's Photo Album My Photos
Default Working For Neighboors.

How many of you have done work for neighbors and been screwed over?
Fatpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2017, 02:42 PM   #2

View OpenSights's Photo Album My Photos

I've done lots of work for a good number of my neighbors, in fact, I'm getting ready for a new construction job for one of them. Not once have I not gotten paid. My neighbor next to me paid to have a huge addition to my driveway as long as I shovel his sidewalk and mow his tiny patch of grass. Super nice guy, I was already going to do it anyway. Old retired navy. Before he passed he started handing me cash for mowing and shoveling saying I had worked it off. I installed a new stool and lav faucet, went to ask for just the cost of the parts and he'd over pay every time. He was the kind of neighbor that would be sitting on his front porch with a cold beer waiting for me when I'd pull in after work. I really miss him. After he passed I told his wife that I'd continue to take care of their outside. Mesothelioma from his time on ship.

Now on the other hand, "the crazy lady" across the street from me, that's a different story. My former Master had to repipe her house after a fire. He should have known better when the deal was 100% payment up front. She actually flipped out when she saw pex and pvc going in. She wanted all drainage and water in copper. Adding an extra $25k to the bill made her shut up pretty quick. After my former Master closed shop I had to go back and do some work on her punch list. I got paid, but not by her. If she ever needs a drain cleaned.... no F'n way will I do it.

Did you have a bad experience?
OpenSights is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OpenSights For This Useful Post:
myjunkyard (05-18-2017), Tommy plumber (05-20-2017)
Old 05-17-2017, 06:42 PM   #3

View Buddy's Photo Album My Photos

Last year I worked for a neighbor that lives about 4 houses away. I quoted 1500 hundred cash and that was a good deal for the neighbor.Anyway,I complete the Plumbing work and the Wife hands me a check. I remind her about our "Discussion" and she seemed annoyed and said she would talk with the Husband when he gets home from work. He walks over my home to pay me and HE also seems annoyed. I am still shaking my head on that one.It really was a simple up-front conversation from the beginning and It has never really been the same with them.. Time for Another? 3 Years ago the Single lady and her elderly mother 2 doors down called about no-heat. For years I have seen the Oil Companys at their home a LOT. I went over and did the Best I could with the mess of a boiler and its related messy Piping with no purge valves or nothing. I did get the Heat but told them they need serious re piping and gave a price. One week later a different Plumber Is at their home and a neighbor told me that they are telling everyone I do not know what I am doing. I am not saying you will encounter these situations but anymore I prefer to stay out of the neighbors homes at least in the Immediate Area
Buddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-17-2017, 07:06 PM   #4

Honestly it's all about where you live, like everything else. Most of my neighbors know each other personally, like friends. Last place I lived was a small city, capital of Michigan. I had close neighbors and ones I'd trust as far as I could throw them just from simple observation.
Old 05-17-2017, 08:05 PM   #5

View Fatpat's Photo Album My Photos

I moved a water heater for my neighbor across the street from me, yesterday.

He went to work by the time I was done, so I said we will settle up tomorrow (which is today)

I went by his house earlier and his son said he was asleep, 3 hours later and I'm still waiting...
Fatpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 08:14 PM   #6

What does the guy do for a living? There are days that I actually get home before my wife and kid, it's rare, but does happen. Coulda for me, but billing.
Old 05-17-2017, 08:16 PM   #7

I only have one on my blacklist so far.
Old 05-17-2017, 08:42 PM   #8

View Eddy k's Photo Album My Photos

I live on culdesac with a bunch of good people, we all get together happy hour once in a while, holiday parties, graduations all that. We all watch our kids grow up together. I take care of them and never expect anything in return but they never let me leave without a $100.00 plus cost of materials if needed. They seem to be there for us when needed also.
Eddy k is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Eddy k For This Useful Post:
Tommy plumber (05-20-2017)
Old 05-17-2017, 09:21 PM   #9

View Debo22's Photo Album My Photos

I do a lot of work for my neighbors from small to big money jobs. I think I've added air conditioning to at least 6 of the houses on my street. About 2 years ago I repiped, replaced the furnace, ductwork, and added a/c for the neighbors across the street. She constantly recommends me to everyone she knows (which is a lot) and on Nextdoor and neighborhood Facebook websites. She just referred me to someone at her gym, I started that $12,500 a/c job today.
Debo22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 09:54 PM   #10

View indyjim's Photo Album My Photos

I'll do small things for free.
Nothing major.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
indyjim is online now   Reply With Quote