CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Plumbing Forum > General Plumbing Discussion

Old 03-10-2013, 12:00 PM   #1
Registered Member

View Allencat's Photo Album My Photos
Default Whysome people put water heater in the attic?

As a professional i've installed water heaters in many different homes.I love doing water heater jobs,but i don't understand why do some people have old gas water heaters the their attic instead of their garage?I mean when you have to take an old water heater with a new one you have to go up in the attic moving the water heaters up and down the attic and some attics have very limlited space to work in and you have to have somebody help you move the water heater.

When houses are being built,why not just put the water heater in the garage?That way when us plumbers have to come replace a heater we would have more space to work in and don't packing the heater up and don't the attic,that would be less work and more comfordable job.
Allencat is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 03-10-2013, 12:02 PM   #2
Lego Expert

View GREENPLUM's Photo Album My Photos

heaters in attic cost more round here, thats a good thing
GREENPLUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 12:41 PM   #3

View rjbphd's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREENPLUM View Post
heaters in attic cost more round here, thats a good thing
And stupid, mho
rjbphd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 12:44 PM   #4

View CaberTosser's Photo Album My Photos

Heaters in an attic up here are unheard of, the winter weather would freeze the water lines. Ours are usually in the basement or lowest level, with occasional exceptions, usually in townhomes. Similar to the attic situation though is when I'd have a replacement in a very old house where the basement access consisted of a hatch in the kitchen floor. and the stairs more resembled a ladder. Headroom would be limited, probably because the excavation was done by hand back then. I'd usually find one or more old heaters down there and would remove them all for the client, seeing as I'd have a co-worker come to help between us we'd have cargo space for them all. Those were pretty rare though, the local trend to buy those old lots and level the house for a new build is well-established.
CaberTosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 12:50 PM   #5

View johntheplumber's Photo Album My Photos

The real reason they are put up there is that the 9 square feet of floor space that it takes up is not in the garage or home.

It is a VERY common practice here and a VERY stupid one.

I enjoy heater work as well and the attic ones do get charges more.
johntheplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 12:56 PM   #6

View phishfood's Photo Album My Photos

Luckily, I haven't run into an attic water heater yet. Not on new construction, nor on service, just doesn't seem to be done around here.
phishfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:29 PM   #7
No Longer at This Address

View ToUtahNow's Photo Album My Photos
Lightbulb

One reason to keep them out of the garage is flammable liquids. I worked on a case where the owner lost a beautiful concours micro bus camper to a water heater fire. If the attic is set up properly I don't see a problem with having them in the attic. The problem of course is most of them are not.

Mark
Old 03-10-2013, 01:38 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToUtahNow
One reason to keep them out of the garage is flammable liquids. I worked on a case where the owner lost a beautiful concours micro bus camper to a water heater fire. If the attic is set up properly I don't see a problem with having them in the attic. The problem of course is most of them are not.

Mark
A big problem is that a lot of the pans to not drain properly when needed. They either get clogged with insulation or are slopped incorrectly . I've even seen bugs build nests in them.
Old 03-10-2013, 01:38 PM   #9

That's why all heaters in attics should have an automatic water shutoff.
Old 03-10-2013, 02:38 PM   #10
JPL

View JPL's Photo Album My Photos

We've relocated water heaters into the attic on some of our remodels. Our climate is mild so the main concern is structural. 600lbs-800lbs bouncing around during a quake. Usually the culprit is a "show room" garage or my personnel favorite, The architect draws a single tankless hanging on an exterior wall for a six bathroom 3000+sqft. house. I'm not saying it's ideal, but if you set everything up properly I don't see any problems.
Attached Thumbnails
Whysome people put water heater in the attic?-garage.jpg