Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

What is your highest priority for running your business.

3K views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  Hyper Piper 
#1 ·
People write many contradicting opinions about what is most important. I hear people say the most important things are:

Ejoyable
Satisfaction for a job well done
Providing good customer service
Providing the best product
Just getting by with money
Making the maximum profit
Make two lists. Arrange one list with the highest priority top and then make a 2nd list by removing every item except the highest priority.

#8 ·
Just enough to get by. Keeps me out of the bars. :laughing:
Seriously, I want to keep myself busy not only to occupy my time but I feel that when I leave a job, someone is gonna be happy living in that home that they worked so hard for to get and should not worry about their plumbing going haywire because some jack of all trades installed it and not a pro like us!!! That and the greenbacks are all that matters.

#12 ·
Alright, I'm ready to take a bashing for this but here goes.

I started this business along with my father because I have a genuine passion for this trade. I love it as much as I love my family and wife. Plumbing and Heating have given me a life and a passion like no other.

Of course we need money to live comfortably, no argument there.

My business has ups and downs like any other. Sometimes the money is great, sometimes not so great. We are savers so the downturns don't affect me as much since I have a personal reserve to keep my family chugging along.

I don't make a million. But I have a beautiful small home, a beautiful wife reliable newer vehicles and beautiful children that I love to watch grow.

There's no feeling better than loving to wake up for work. I get that feeling six days a week. The satisfaction of my clients and my reputation is my reward. I train a minimum of 1/2 hour to an hour every day on new methods and materials because I want to be the best that I can be.

I passed on two full scholarships to become a civil engineer to pursue this trade. Now I design, engineer and install complex plumbing and heating systems. I get much more satisfaction from that than a desk job.

Call success what you will, but in my heart, I have success beyond my wildest dreams and if I never went any further than this point that would be just fine.

#15 ·
This is great!

Alright, I'm ready to take a bashing for this but here goes.

I started this business along with my father because I have a genuine passion for this trade. I love it as much as I love my family and wife. Plumbing and Heating have given me a life and a passion like no other.

Of course we need money to live comfortably, no argument there.

My business has ups and downs like any other. Sometimes the money is great, sometimes not so great. We are savers so the downturns don't affect me as much since I have a personal reserve to keep my family chugging along.

I don't make a million. But I have a beautiful small home, a beautiful wife reliable newer vehicles and beautiful children that I love to watch grow.

There's no feeling better than loving to wake up for work. I get that feeling six days a week. The satisfaction of my clients and my reputation is my reward. I train a minimum of 1/2 hour to an hour every day on new methods and materials because I want to be the best that I can be.

I passed on two full scholarships to become a civil engineer to pursue this trade. Now I design, engineer and install complex plumbing and heating systems. I get much more satisfaction from that than a desk job.

Call success what you will, but in my heart, I have success beyond my wildest dreams and if I never went any further than this point that would be just fine.
You have a real compassion for the plumbing trade. This is great!

#13 ·
Independence. I don't let anyone determine my future. Much.

In my small town, the money isn't all that great. Here, I'm just another working business owner unlike you city folk who ride around all day in your oversized 4x4s talking on your Iphone.

And the sex, but that's another thread. :laughing:

#14 ·
The money and the challange of making it. With that goes the challange of being the best Plumber in town. Being the guy people call when they have a tough job and want it done right and the money is secondary.

So, in away the competetive part of it is what gets me going every morning. Striving to be "the guy".

#16 ·
I think Frank Senatra said it best " I did it my way".
My #1 priority=
Stay the course, as long as the course is forward.
#2 $$$$$
#3 Self assurance/ responsibility, I love the ideal, that the harder I work, the more I make, no big wig telling me no raise this year, and then driving away in his new Mercedes.

#17 ·
Plumber said:
independence. I don't let anyone determine my future. Much.

In my small town, the money isn't all that great. Here, I'm just another working business owner unlike you city folk who ride around all day in your oversized 4x4s talking on your Iphone.
I could echo all the above. Not sure about the sex part - could you give me pointers?

I don't really care about the plumbing - whatever I do, I just like to leave a place better than I found it. That's what matters to me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.