CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Plumbing Forum > General Plumbing Discussion


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2011, 11:17 PM   #41
Moderator
 
plbgbiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 14,714

View plbgbiz's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Mr Kid,

I must again agree with my Organized brother. Very rare is the man that loves his job. That my friend is worth far more than you can imagine at your age. Yes college is great. But trade work should not be dumbed down to a last resort for those that can't cut it in school.

Our trade desperately needs young men (& women) that love the work they do. I think it is sad that a young person expressing this much interest in being a career plumber is being discouraged by plumbers.

What's wrong with sticking with a career you love, has a respectable wage, and is likely to never be eliminated? Pursuing the pot of gold in the white collar world is a tough row to hoe. There are a lot of degreed professionals working the night shift at 7-11. On the other hand...a bright, energetic, sober, clean, professional, well spoken, hard working young man will never be out of work with a plumbing license in his pocket.

Stay the course Kid. We may give you grief but we want you to grow up to be a pro.
plbgbiz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to plbgbiz For This Useful Post:
Airgap (03-30-2011), gasaman (03-30-2011), sNApple (03-30-2011)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 03-29-2011, 11:19 PM   #42
Moderator
 
plbgbiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 14,714

View plbgbiz's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlumberShep View Post
At 17 you should consider career options besides plumbing as well.If you were to start soon, by age 25-26 you could be finished with a degree that would make you alot more money than plumbing will.Just a thought.Good luck either way.
Or stick to your passion and by the age of 25-26 you could be telling the new cubs how it's gonna be or maybe own your own company.
plbgbiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 11:26 PM   #43
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 97

View Thekid's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Thanks much appreciated
Thekid is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Thekid For This Useful Post:
plbgbiz (03-29-2011)
Old 03-29-2011, 11:31 PM   #44
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Washington State
Posts: 8,893

View Widdershins's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Our trade desperately needs young men (& women) that love the work they do. I think it is sad that a young person expressing this much interest in being a career plumber is being discouraged by plumbers.
I agree that an infusion of New Blood would be great -- Still, I field a lot of calls from laid off Journeymen and Apprentices looking for work.

The herd is thinning as we speak. The bubble burst. A lot of these people are going to stay laid off.
Widdershins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 11:35 PM   #45
Moderator
 
plbgbiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 14,714

View plbgbiz's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Widdershins View Post
I agree that an infusion of New Blood would be great -- Still, I field a lot of calls from laid off Journeymen and Apprentices looking for work.

The herd is thinning as we speak. The bubble burst. A lot of these people are going to stay laid off.
Agreed, but some of that fat needed to leave anyway. I believe someone that has his sights set from the beginning on being a pro, has a great future as a plumber.

I see a number of jp's out of work as well. However, I have yet to meet one worth having that didn't have a good job with a boss trying to take care of him. That of course is just in my limited area here.
plbgbiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 11:35 PM   #46
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 97

View Thekid's Photo Album My Photos
Default

I am up in Canada (ottawa) and there is no shortage of work where I am everyone is always hiring
Thekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 11:55 PM   #47
Senior Member
 
retired rooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 638

View retired rooter's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Yahoo to retired rooter
Default

I am 61 yrs old and if I had it all to do over again, I would??????????
__________________
rode hard put up wet
retired rooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 11:58 PM   #48
I'm right your wrong
 
easttexasplumb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: TX
Posts: 3,798

View easttexasplumb's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by plbgbiz View Post
Agreed, but some of that fat needed to leave anyway. I believe someone that has his sights set from the beginning on being a pro, has a great future as a plumber.

I see a number of jp's out of work as well. However, I have yet to meet one worth having that didn't have a good job with a boss trying to take care of him. That of course is just in my limited area here.

And when you ask them where they worked before they name off about 10 companies.
__________________
This is not my signature
easttexasplumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 09:27 AM   #49
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 6,038

View U666A's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by easttexasplumb

And when you ask them where they worked before they name off about 10 companies.
My home local has what is known as a 1:1 hiring ratio. This means that a contractor must take the man at the top of the list first, then he may hire anyone by name from anywhere on the list be chooses, and the process repeats.

The mechanical contractors assoc of On (MCAO is the other bargaining party to our collective agreement) has been desperately trying to push through "100% name hire" ever since I joined the local. Do you know who is afraid of this? The lazy ones and the loud mouths and those who are not skilled. Construction unions are a difficult place to survive, because the contractor does not have to put up with any of these factors. So the guys that have 10 t4's every year are going to find it harder and harder to get and to hold a job.

Sorry to the OP for the threadjack

Sent from my iPhone using PlumbingZone
U666A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 09:47 AM   #50
Moderator
 
plbgbiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 14,714

View plbgbiz's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by U.A.til.I.die View Post
...The mechanical contractors assoc of On (MCAO is the other bargaining party to our collective agreement) has been desperately trying to push through "100% name hire" ever since I joined the local. Do you know who is afraid of this? The lazy ones and the loud mouths and those who are not skilled. Construction unions are a difficult place to survive, because the contractor does not have to put up with any of these factors. So the guys that have 10 t4's every year are going to find it harder and harder to get and to hold a job.

Sorry to the OP for the threadjack
Interesting point UA. Many non-union workers (including me) may be incorrectly lumping ALL union jobs into the same category. The opinion from the outside looking in is often that performance doesn't matter (ala teachers and/or auto makers unions). Apparently I was misinformed and all unions are not created equally.

Having the protection the union can give along with the ability to shine if you are a top notch worker is a great combination.

I think your comments are right in line with what the OP (and maybe some others) should to know.
plbgbiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Non Union Cons. ROCKSTARPLUMBER Commercial Plumbing 23 03-29-2012 04:28 PM
Non-Union to Union Adjustment markb General Plumbing Discussion 25 01-26-2011 08:11 PM
To Union or not to Union? A Helper General Plumbing Discussion 1 03-05-2010 10:39 AM
Union Problem? chicago_plumber General Plumbing Discussion 49 02-21-2010 03:56 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:28 AM.


Copyright 2000-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved
Our Pro Sites Network
ContractorTalk.com | DrywallTalk.com | ElectricianTalk.com | HVACSite.com | PaintTalk.com | RoofingTalk.com

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1