Sump pump upgrade advice - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Plumbing Forum > General Plumbing Discussion

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Master Mark

Old 10-02-2016, 10:49 PM   #1

View Weston19's Photo Album My Photos
Default Sump pump upgrade advice

Hello. Recently our area got rain that persisted for several days, and as peoples houses started to flood, I became concerned about the possibility of my house flooding. I actually purchased the house off my Mom and I know its full history, and never once has this house flooded. I remember a few rainstorms that were very severe and pulling up the carpet in the finished basement with my Dad to watch the levels and drop in a back-up pedestal pump if required, but this little submersible he had installed when we first moved in never failed. It looked so old and knowing nothing about it, i decided to fill the pit to test it.

Boy, am I ever glad I tested it. It would not turn on, even with the water 1/2 off the floor. I dropped my backup pedestal in and pulled the old one out. It was so covered in scale and rust that you cannot even see the bolt heads anymore. My dad tells me its from the 70's. I read the name on the tag and behold, its a Hydromatic. I gave it a CLR bath and was able to open the switch housing, which was perfectly dry. It has some sort of a pressure switch and it had failed. I hotwired the pump, resealed the housing and dropped it into the sump pit and plugged it in. Voila, it still runs.

However, I have been meaning to upgrade the pump. This house was built in the 50's and the clay pipes under the house are cracked with roots growing in them. I treat them with copper sulfate on occasion, and pull them out once they are dead, but drainage isn't the greatest. My house is elevated from the road a fair amount, but when we get a lot of rain really fast, the water backs up and it has came in very fast.

My plan is to buy a non-automatic Zoeller pump and 2 level guard switches. Once I get the Hydromatic fixed up I will drop it back into the pit and because I can swap the plugs, I can set either pump as a primary, as long as I stagger the switches. However, my question is, the Hydromatic has an 1 1/4 discharge and its piped through the wall in 1 1/4. If i add the Zoeller and keep the Hydromatic hooked up as a backup, I know i need to upgrade the discharge.

How big I need to go is the question. If the Zoeller moves 3300 GPH and the Hydromatic moves at least 2000, though i think it is much much higher, from what I have calculated is a 2.5" discharge will flow wide open both pumps with the least resistance. The 2" at gravity will flow 2200 GPH while the 2.5" will flow 3200 GPH, but once pressure is factored in the 2.5 leaves the 2" in the dust. The lowest flow rating at pressure I can find is 40 psi which no sump pump will ever reach, but considering I will have a combined 5300 GPH, and I need to upgrade from 1.25 anyway, I should size the pipe for the maximum pumping capacity of what I install.

Do you think 2.5 is way overkill, or should that be adequate for my application?

Pictures of said 40 year old Hydromatic

Weston19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2016, 11:02 PM   #2
Hydro Mechanic

View moonapprentice's Photo Album My Photos

I would play it safe with the zoeller and go 3" discharge. You won't have any issues with that.
moonapprentice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 06:03 AM   #3

View OpenSights's Photo Album My Photos

They just don't make them like they use to! If I were you I'd find an electric motor shop and have that old gem rebuilt. Even if it needs new windings, it will be worth it.
OpenSights is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-03-2016, 06:16 AM   #4

View ShtRnsdownhill's Photo Album My Photos

thats a nice long story..too bad you arent a licensed plumber..so you dont belong here, there are plenty of DIY forums for you...
Attached Images

ShtRnsdownhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 06:17 AM   #5
philosopher and statesmen

View Master Mark's Photo Album My Photos

This forum is in a death spiral, its getting pretty bad when the only people who post on this site anymore are the DIY ers.... and that is about the only thing that gets a rise out of the stragglers that are left here............
ShtRnsdownhill likes this.
Master Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 06:06 PM   #6

View Weston19's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShtRnsdownhill View Post
thats a nice long story..too bad you arent a licensed plumber..so you dont belong here, there are plenty of DIY forums for you...

You know what, you are absolutely right. Despite the fact that I am a ticketed Millwright and CNC machinist, and worked for 5+ years as an electrical apprentice, I am in fact not a Licensed PLumber. I had figured having experience in fabricating hydraulic systems and pipefitting, along with fabrication and high precision machining would at the very least be recognized by fellow tradesmen, especially considering Millwrights are jacks of all trades, but you are correct. I must have misinterpreted what this site meant by "professional" plumbers thinking my experience in various trades would count for something, but I apologize.

To everyone that has helped, thank you. I guess I'll go over to a DIY forum to be told that 1.5" should be fine by people who cannot grasp fluid mechanics. Thanks.
Weston19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 06:23 PM   #7

View ShtRnsdownhill's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weston19 View Post
You know what, you are absolutely right. Despite the fact that I am a ticketed Millwright and CNC machinist, and worked for 5+ years as an electrical apprentice, I am in fact not a Licensed PLumber. I had figured having experience in fabricating hydraulic systems and pipefitting, along with fabrication and high precision machining would at the very least be recognized by fellow tradesmen, especially considering Millwrights are jacks of all trades, but you are correct. I must have misinterpreted what this site meant by "professional" plumbers thinking my experience in various trades would count for something, but I apologize.

To everyone that has helped, thank you. I guess I'll go over to a DIY forum to be told that 1.5" should be fine by people who cannot grasp fluid mechanics. Thanks.
dont take it personal, and you are correct in your assumption..plumbing professionals only here...im sure you are skilled in other trades, but this sight is for plumbing professionals only..
ShtRnsdownhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 11:21 PM   #8

View dhal22's Photo Album My Photos

I think you miss the point of you are asking us to assist in you avoiding hiring us.
dhal22 is offline   Reply With Quote