CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Plumbing Forum > General Plumbing Discussion

Old 06-12-2010, 04:37 PM   #1

View user2090's Photo Album My Photos
Default Smelly water; well water and Anode rods

Ok, so, we have quite a problem around here with Magnesium anode rods, and well water causing a smell on the hot water. This is pretty common, take the rod out(void warranty) and the smell goes away.
Bradford White has a solution to this, for certain zipcodes they send water heaters with an Aluminum rod. We are not getting calls as frequently, but still some calls are happening after the new install.

I was at a house today where we put a new electric water heater in sometime in march. I was replacing a failed softener. So, because they had unconditioned water for a few days, I drained the heater. While draining the heater, I smelled that familiar smell.

My question is, if the new Bradford White heaters have an aluminum rod, why is there still a smell?
user2090 is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 06-12-2010, 06:07 PM   #2
Certified Lunatic

View Redwood's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Skype™ to Redwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indie View Post
My question is, if the new Bradford White heaters have an aluminum rod, why is there still a smell?
Are you sure about that?

I'm pretty sure that water heaters are supplied with a magnesium anode rod and if you have problems with the stankin water you need to change to the Bradford White A420 anode rod...

Redwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 06:22 PM   #3

View user2090's Photo Album My Photos

Yes, I'm quite sure. I have talked to the rep about it. If I was at work I might be able to give you the designator that they use in the model or serial number. Bradford white deliberately sends aluminum to certain zip-codes, due to this problem. The area covers a large section of Northern Indiana, and surrounding States.
user2090 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to user2090 For This Useful Post:
Redwood (06-12-2010)
Old 06-12-2010, 11:41 PM   #4
Registered Member

View 1703's Photo Album My Photos

We have the same problem around here.

I have yet to find an anode of ANY material that will stop the stink.
1703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 07:54 AM   #5

View vcicchesi's Photo Album My Photos
Default does this work

i did the beach thing only once for the smelly water , i for get what the correct term was ,when you poor bleach down the anode rod , my ? is does this realy work , i did for a company i no longer work for so i don't know if they got any call backs on it.........
vcicchesi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 08:12 AM   #6

View nhmaster3015's Photo Album My Photos

If it's the hot side only, drain the tank completely and flush it. Then re-fill and crank the thermostat up to 160 or so and let it cook until it shuts down. Drain it and drop the thermostat. If it's both hot and cold its probably Hydrogen Sulfide gas and to get rid of that you need either a charcoal filter or RO
nhmaster3015 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nhmaster3015 For This Useful Post:
pauliplumber (06-13-2010), vcicchesi (06-13-2010)
Old 06-13-2010, 08:14 AM   #7

View Richard Hilliard's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via MSN to Richard Hilliard
Default smelly water

A water softener is not designed to take out sulfur smell. Changing the anode to aluminum is the correct thing. There can be bacteria in the water; chlorination is the proper way to go. Personally I do not think 120 degree water is hot enough to kill bacteria in the water heater.

We have many seasonable clients that we call snowbirds that end up getting bacteria in the hot water. We chlorinate and turn up the thermostats or gas control top a temperature that will kill the bacteria and keep it from growing back again. We find this with electric water heaters where you can get a 15 degree plus or minus from the stats with the temp difference between the stats and water. Typically we discover the water at 110 degrees or less.

Good luck wit this.
Richard Hilliard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Richard Hilliard For This Useful Post:
service guy (12-09-2010)
Old 06-13-2010, 09:04 AM   #8
philosopher and statesmen

View Master Mark's Photo Album My Photos
Talking the warranty police....

[quote=Indie;120363]Ok, so, we have quite a problem around here with Magnesium anode rods, and well water causing a smell on the hot water. This is pretty common, take the rod out(void warranty) and the smell goes away.

Why are you worried about the warranty, ???

Take care of your customer and dont worry about it...

If their is no other way to get rid of the smell, just take the rod out and move on....

voiding the warranty is the lesser of the two issues, and usually a heater on low pressure well water will last years past the warranty period anyway....

Their are no "anode rod police" out there that are
gonna tear down a leaking heater to see if the anode rod is still inside it....

give the customer the option to either fight the smell or simply remove
the rod and gamble on how long the tank lasts...

ps.. you got to do something with your avatar... it aint pretty
Master Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Master Mark For This Useful Post:
breid1903 (06-13-2010)
Old 06-13-2010, 09:36 AM   #9

View breid1903's Photo Album My Photos
Default mm

spot on. spot on. breid................
breid1903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 10:43 AM   #10

View nhmaster3015's Photo Album My Photos

I would like to see some studies of anode rods and tank longevity. I suspect that even without an anode rod the tank will still hold up about the same length of time unless the water is really really bad. I can honestly count the number of anode rods I've changed in 30 years on one hand.
nhmaster3015 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nhmaster3015 For This Useful Post:
Master Mark (06-13-2010)