CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Plumbing Forum > General Plumbing Discussion

Old 03-21-2011, 09:04 PM   #1

View HuskyMurph's Photo Album My Photos
Question Richmond powervent waterheater problem???

i tried searching for a answer no luck or dont know how to use search function good.. House is 2005.. lady has gone through 3 water heaters i put the third one in 2 weeks ago.. one i took out wasnt heating, it would be hot for few minutes then luke warm...they only noticed it on there 2 delta tub and shower valves.. they have one moen posi temp shower they dont use.. i called richmond they said drain it and flush out,i did that and not really any sediment. they said check for cross connection didnt see anything. they sent out new thermostat for the waterheater. didnt install it instead homeowner thought it would be better to go to menards and see if they would warranty it. they did so i put new one in... 4 days later they had no hot water it was flashing a code he couldnt explain it over the phone.. its a 2 inch vent im going to measure the length later this week. what i can see is one 90 elbow above WH and 2 60 elbow.. there is a long turn 90 on the outlet outside with no screen.. im going to put a screen on it. and install a 45 ive never seen it with a 90...do you think something got into the vent??? that what im thinking im going to snake the vent... also a hack did the plumbing and since its kind of like same problem as others wondering if the vent was installed wrong... sorry so long but wanted to be as detailed as possible.. what do you guys think??? i reallly want to get this figured out cause the customer is a real good one.. thanks you all
HuskyMurph is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 03-21-2011, 09:39 PM   #2
Special Member

View Pipe Dreams's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskyMurph View Post
i tried searching for a answer no luck or dont know how to use search function good.. House is 2005.. lady has gone through 3 water heaters i put the third one in 2 weeks ago.. one i took out wasnt heating, it would be hot for few minutes then luke warm...they only noticed it on there 2 delta tub and shower valves.. they have one moen posi temp shower they dont use.. i called richmond they said drain it and flush out,i did that and not really any sediment. they said check for cross connection didnt see anything. they sent out new thermostat for the waterheater. didnt install it instead homeowner thought it would be better to go to menards and see if they would warranty it. they did so i put new one in... 4 days later they had no hot water it was flashing a code he couldnt explain it over the phone.. its a 2 inch vent im going to measure the length later this week. what i can see is one 90 elbow above WH and 2 60 elbow.. there is a long turn 90 on the outlet outside with no screen.. im going to put a screen on it. and install a 45 ive never seen it with a 90...do you think something got into the vent??? that what im thinking im going to snake the vent... also a hack did the plumbing and since its kind of like same problem as others wondering if the vent was installed wrong... sorry so long but wanted to be as detailed as possible.. what do you guys think??? i reallly want to get this figured out cause the customer is a real good one.. thanks you all
Depending on the make of the heater the vent may need to be 3". The easiest way to tell if it's the vent is to disconnect it from the top of the tank and see if the heater fires and the code doesn't show up. (Obviously don't leave the vent disconnected)
Pipe Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 10:16 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipe Dreams View Post
Depending on the make of the heater the vent may need to be 3". The easiest way to tell if it's the vent is to disconnect it from the top of the tank and see if the heater fires and the code doesn't show up. (Obviously don't leave the vent disconnected)
it shouldnt have to be its only a 40 gallon sorry i didnt mention that... im going to check the manual i know if the vent is over so many feet with to many fittings you can make it a 3 inch vent to be good. it probably goes 20 to 25 feet horizontal. and 4 feet straight up from water heater.. any other thoughs guys or gals. I know there has to be some water heater pros... or anything you think i should try.. i still think its got to be vent reliated cause the powervents on the other ones sounded like the burnt out..
Old 03-21-2011, 10:18 PM   #4

it does fire but after little bit like couple days they wont have hot water. if they unplug it.. and plug back in it will work for few days.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:20 PM   #5

View Plumber patt's Photo Album My Photos

Flame sensor?
Plumber patt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 10:24 PM   #6

maybe but its new.. and it seems this was same thing going on with other heaters... so i think it has to be some canected with other ones... which would be the vent... ill go see what codes it was flashing, snake the vent, cut 90 off, and see if there are other fitting that i cant see in the cealing.. if i cut both ends it should be a straight shot so should be able to see light through it.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:28 PM   #7

See if the vent is sloped properly, if the vent isn't and has water pooling in one section, then it won't stay fired
Old 03-21-2011, 10:43 PM   #8

ill see if i can check that out.. 20 feet or so is concealed in the ceiling. i know when we do em we slope them out water drains out of it... or if slope back condeinsation line.
Old 03-21-2011, 11:08 PM   #9

Ya exactly but if there is a belly somewhere then it won't stay fired
Old 03-22-2011, 06:35 AM   #10
philosopher and statesmen

View Master Mark's Photo Album My Photos
Talking rheem power vents

You are probably spinning your wheels..

Rheem cannot make a good power vent water heater..
I cannot afford to put them in for all the troubles they have right out of the box....
and the box they come in looks like its big enough for a double wide freezer..

all thieir other products are great but they keep trying new
gas thermostat valves and cannot ever seem to get it right.

richmond is also a step down and made cheaper than the Rheem
models for the crappy hardware stores..

you are going to work your butt off trying to figure this out
and its all going to be a matter of installing another gas valve,

I have a few gas valves on my shelf in mothballs from other
attempts and power vent series they have come up with over the years.

another good way to get out of all this trouble is to tell her to take
the peice of junk heaater back to menards and get a refund...

then go out and get a Bradford White... that should solve your issues once and for all....

Last edited by Master Mark; 03-22-2011 at 06:37 AM..
Master Mark is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Master Mark For This Useful Post:
leak1 (03-30-2011), Mpls Jay (03-26-2011)