CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Plumbing Forum > General Plumbing Discussion

Old 12-27-2010, 11:56 PM   #1
Test Subject

View woberkrom's Photo Album My Photos
Default Resurfacing Valve Seats

Has anybody resurfaced a valve seat?

I have filed on a tub/shower valve seat to remove a nick if I didn't have a replacement seat or if I wasn't otherwise going to the parts store.

I always removed the seat from the tub/shower valve to do this though.

I don't think I have ever resurfaced a valve seat in place with a specialty tool. Just curious if anybody else had.

--Will

www.maplewoodplumbing.com
woberkrom is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 12-28-2010, 12:42 AM   #2

View Tommy plumber's Photo Album My Photos

I have re-surfaced tub valve seats in the valve with a re-seating tool and also I have removed seats to re-surface. An old timer told me once that he has soldered seats to fill a nick, now that's cool!
Old 12-28-2010, 12:55 AM   #3
Registered Member

View U666A's Photo Album My Photos

Can't say as I've done outside of trade school.
One thing I will mention is if xhanging a cartridge, I change both. New cartridge= new seats also. Everytime.
U666A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 01:56 AM   #4

View ap plumbing's Photo Album My Photos

never had..... but its something to think about if i can't get the seat out.....that has happen b4 pain in the
ap plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 08:02 AM   #5
I'm right your wrong

View easttexasplumb's Photo Album My Photos

You have got the be careful, give the tool a few turns and the look at and feel the seat. The tools work good, but should be used as a last resort type of deal, refinishing the seat is not the best way of fixing it.
Old 12-28-2010, 11:23 AM   #6
The Old (antique) Master

View PLUMBER_BILL's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by woberkrom View Post
Has anybody resurfaced a valve seat?

I have filed on a tub/shower valve seat to remove a nick if I didn't have a replacement seat or if I wasn't otherwise going to the parts store.

I always removed the seat from the tub/shower valve to do this though.

I don't think I have ever resurfaced a valve seat in place with a specialty tool. Just curious if anybody else had.

--Will
One of these reply's mentions the "old timers" This old timer cut his eye teeth on faucet valve reseating. In my early days in this trade most faucets had non-removable seats. A proper repair meant reseating with a tool designed for the job. I believe the tool I still use sometimes was made by either Wood-Ward Wanger or Sexauer. When you dissassembled a faucet you would look down or in and if you did not see a hexogon, square or a 4 or 6 sided broach. You could pretty much guess that the seat had to be refaced. Sure there were the early Speakmans, Crane, American Standard's and Wolverine Brass Faucets that had re-newable seats. I was taught never to reface a renewable seat. Go in a little to deep and you would ruin the faucet. Of course on a faucet that had to be refaced you could also ruin the faucet if there was not enough brass left to ream. Now when you did not have the correct seat somtimes you had to file. Here was the trick to filing the seat. Take it out of the faucet, lay it on a flat mill file (not a ******* file) and start filing -- after each stroke back and forth you had to rotate the seat clockwise a bit before the next stroke forward. By rotating as such the seat would stay flat. A crooked seat wasn't worth the room it took up. Yes we somtimes filed a groove in the brass and filled it with solder. First though we covered the threads wih plumbers soil ... One seat that was quite frequently filed like the above was the seat in a Crane DialEase.
Bet you didn't know there was a seat in a DialEase.
A little of this and a little of that
PLUMBER_BILL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PLUMBER_BILL For This Useful Post:
greenscoutII (12-28-2010), plbgbiz (12-28-2010), plumbpro (12-31-2010), Tommy plumber (12-28-2010)
Old 12-28-2010, 11:42 AM   #7

View plbgbiz's Photo Album My Photos

Was yours like this one Bill?

http://www.plumbingzone.com/f10/name...x2/#post141240
plbgbiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 03:45 PM   #8
I'm right your wrong

View easttexasplumb's Photo Album My Photos

The plumber that taught me just about every thing I know had a Sexaur master stem rebuild kit. He was pretty good at indentifing and rebuilding many different faucets. After a while of him quizing me, I started paying attention to the ways to indentify faucets. After working with other plumbers as an apprentice, I figured out that I had learned from him things those older than me,did not know.
Old 12-28-2010, 09:26 PM   #9

View RW Plumbing's Photo Album My Photos

How long does it take to refinish these seats or obtain replacement ones? I usually don't repair stuff that takes more than an hour except in special circumstances. I would rather replace the faucet, it takes about the same amount of time and the cost is comparable if you can get back behind a closet or something. Being able to repair stuff is great but, you still have a 30+ year old faucet with 30+ year old trim.
RW Plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 10:27 PM   #10

View breid1903's Photo Album My Photos

www.sexauer.com. breid...........
breid1903 is offline   Reply With Quote