Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

Poly Grease Traps

8K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  stillaround 
#1 ·
Just wondering what the thoughts are here on these. Now I'm speaking of the the small units within the building not 1000+ gallon tanks.

If you remove a steel trap do you use the poly traps to replace them or do your go back to steal. The poly trap our supplier sells has a ten year warranty versus couple year (I think) on steel.

They're nice because they're light and east to work with but are you cutting your own throat by installing something that should last much longer?

Just wondering what opinions are here on install, performance, durability and anything else.

#3 ·
I didnt think the price was sufficiently less to justify what they save in the manuf. process. They dont have the solid square look.....but plastic wont rust out....it might get damaged due to impact abuse. After all restaurants are brutal. I havent bought one yet. If you sink a 50 pounder in the ground though it would be hard to beat.

#5 ·
you would have to be pretty ignorant to think putting a steel grease trap underground is a good idea. I've replaced alot of steel grease traps that have rotted completely apart in 5 years.

We use Green Turtle fibreglass grease traps with a 30 year warranty.

#10 ·
I complained to Rockford Separators once about their steel traps rotting out after a few years. Their response was, "well, the average restaurant don't stay open more than five years anyway...." :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I've had customers insist on Rockford's epoxy coating. After they throw all the parts inside and ship it, the epoxy is rubbed off in spots, so what's the point?

I've installed a few Shier Poly's- not a bad interceptor.

As far as pricing- A grease trap that supposedly lasts 20 years should cost more, no?

#11 ·
I complained to Rockford Separators once about their steel traps rotting out after a few years. Their response was, "well, the average restaurant don't stay open more than five years anyway...." :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I've had customers insist on Rockford's epoxy coating. After they throw all the parts inside and ship it, the epoxy is rubbed off in spots, so what's the point?

I've installed a few Shier Poly's- not a bad interceptor.

As far as pricing- A grease trap that supposedly lasts 20 years should cost more, no?
I like your logic. I also have had a rotted one recently--15yrs service. I like plastic.
The flimsier poly ones have a warp issue and if it wasnt for the metal lid that holds it straight theyd look real cheap. And I think restaurants are the hardest on plumbing ...those deliveries come in fast and furious.
I havent investigated the higher price f/g or poly ones.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.