Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

old terra cotta

11K views 76 replies 21 participants last post by  Plasticman 
#1 ·
Im replacing a section of old terra cotta with pvc in a old house,looks like the joints were sealed with concrete (idk never worked with it before). anyways i cut it with a grinder and cutwheel but it cracked in two places right up to the hub and the pipe came loose out of the hub.Is there anything i can put in the pipe like a inside coupling or splint to keep it from collapsing in when i put a fernco on it and what is the best way to reseal the joint?thanks for any help

#2 ·
Hi Ghost. What local are you an apprentice in? What classes are you taking at this point?

I'm sure one of your journeymen or your apprentice coordinator can answer this question. You answer my questions and I will help you with yours.

You can pm me if you like.

#10 ·
The point was that Ghost is obviously full of it. If he's an apprentice, 5th year or otherwise, it's certainly a question for his foreman/supervisor/journeyman/master/whatever. If he is in fact a 5th year apprentice this is something he should have seen by now and aren't unions known for their super duper training programs. Either way he's busted for the ho, diyer that he probably is. Just my take on it.

#12 ·
im in local 110 taking gas water service mech code plumbing code.I would ask em but im laid off now for almost a year and doing work for myself and wont see anyone again till monday and im trying to finish the job up cause ive got two others to do right now so kinda in a hurry.it's 4 inch,couldnt even guess the age but its in good shape suprisingly .thx for all the replies

#24 ·
I love it when I find out that another handy hack has screwed himself :laughing:! What are you gonna do dude? I can guarantee you one thing, that hundred bucks you charged is not gonna cover this that's for sure :laughing:! Man they are gonna be pissed!!! They probably already had an idea that you have no earthly idea what in the hell you are doing but if they didn't, they will now :laughing: :laughing: and one more :laughing:!

#28 ·
i am indeed a union plumber not a diy hack ive done mostly new construction commercial and industrial now with no work im doing small residential crap by myself to pay the bills.no i havent screwed up anything just wasnt sure what to redo the joint with cause ive never done terra cotta sorry ive never worked with this antiquated crap and wnat to ask another plumber 4 help god forbid.I can feel the brotherly love

#35 ·
What does your union say about side work? I understand about paying bills, believe me I know about bills, but if you have to work outside the hall isn't it supposed to be out of the trades, rake some leaves, shovel some snow, flip some burgers, you know that kind of stuff. Just wondering how your fellow laid off union plumbers would feel about your little side work adventures while they obey the union rules sitting at home waiting for the call. Now me personally, I have no particular union gripes since I'm not nor have I ever been in a union, however, as a legitimate business owner I do have a bone to pick with you as a supposed "5th year apprentice" illegally contracting to do work that you are most certainly not licensed (neither as a plumber nor in the municipality, county or state in which you are working) to do. How much gl are you carrying? That of course was a rhetorical question. You are a thief, plain and simple. You are stealing work from legitimate plumbing companies that you are not qualified to do. You obviously, by your own admission, do not know what you are doing and are for the sole sake of your own financial benefit are endangering the property and welfare of the people whose money you are taking. Paying all the required taxes on that income are you Ghost? Again, another rhetorical question.

Not having work does not entitle you to steal from others who have paid their dues, followed the rules and are legitimate.

#47 ·
Hey Ghost, just out of curiosity, and for the group of course...If you are a 5th yr apprentice, what program are you working in? Last I knew App programs were based on a 4yr plan. So, that said, after the 4yrs, an apprentice will will walk away with their JP card, based on all state tests etc. Now I am not one for calling out unless necessary and I hate to say it, it's necessary at this point. At least to put a few concerns to bed so to speak. No disrespect intended, just getting a firm feel on the program and the fast track you are on?

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Reactions: ROCKSTARPLUMBER
#60 ·
two counrty hicks talking

mr ducks
em not
osar
cm wangs
cm fly
lib mr ducks
translated.. them are ducks, them are not, oh yes they are, see them wings, see them fly, well I be, them are ducks.

Reactions: SlickRick
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.