CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Plumbing Forum > General Plumbing Discussion

Old 03-09-2011, 11:13 AM   #1

View Pdesign's Photo Album My Photos
Default Low flow toilets and sewer slopes.

First: I want to apologize for not logging in as much.
Secondly: I would like to find out if anyone has ever had to change the slope in a sewer pipe to accommodate low flow toilets?
Preferably in Virginia or North Carolina area.
Thank you.
Pdesign is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 03-09-2011, 05:07 PM   #2

View curtis2kul's Photo Album My Photos

Still 1/8th per foot here in North Carolina.
curtis2kul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 06:32 PM   #3

View gitnerdun's Photo Album My Photos

Who suggested you do this?
gitnerdun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 11:56 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitnerdun
Who suggested you do this?
I am a designer and I am just trying to find out if anyone has ever had to change the slope because of the low flow toilets.
I have read that it doesn't carry the waste as far as a 3.5 gallon talk would. One of our clients seem to have an issue with a main line clogging about 30 ft down from where the toilets are located. They say the slope is 10 inches lower from one clean out to the other in a 65 ft length. There is a low spot where new piping connects to existing piping and that is what we believe is causing an issue but the clients and a few others believe it's the toilets.
Old 03-10-2011, 12:04 AM   #5

View Plumber's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdesign View Post
I am a designer and I am just trying to find out if anyone has ever had to change the slope because of the low flow toilets.
I have read that it doesn't carry the waste as far as a 3.5 gallon talk would. One of our clients seem to have an issue with a main line clogging about 30 ft down from where the toilets are located. They say the slope is 10 inches lower from one clean out to the other in a 65 ft length. There is a low spot where new piping connects to existing piping and that is what we believe is causing an issue but the clients and a few others believe it's the toilets.
It's an issue, but not well documented yet.

I would make darn sure that the toilet is the last fixture on the branch. The shower, basin, sink, washer, etc. will help wash the waste down the pipe.
Plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Plumber For This Useful Post:
SewerRatz (03-13-2011)
Old 03-10-2011, 12:13 AM   #6
Certified Lunatic

View Redwood's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Skype™ to Redwood

A long run with shallow pitch can be problematic...
A low spot or, belly in the line can be a big problem.

As for the minimum pitch you have to be more specific with the location to determine the local code used. I believe Virginia has several different codes in use depending on the location, nevermind adding in North Carolina as well...

I'd recommend a video camera inspection of the line.

Redwood is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Redwood For This Useful Post:
Protech (07-17-2012)
Old 03-10-2011, 07:39 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumber
It's an issue, but not well documented yet.

I would make darn sure that the toilet is the last fixture on the branch. The shower, basin, sink, washer, etc. will help wash the waste down the pipe.
Thanks..they are on the last of the branch. The showers and lavatories are before the water closets. There is a washing machine and other things way before them also.
Old 03-10-2011, 07:47 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwood
A long run with shallow pitch can be problematic...
A low spot or, belly in the line can be a big problem.

As for the minimum pitch you have to be more specific with the location to determine the local code used. I believe Virginia has several different codes in use depending on the location, nevermind adding in North Carolina as well...

I'd recommend a video camera inspection of the line.
We believe the small low spot/belly is the problem and they even did a camera inspection with out recording. They will be doing the camera again with recording this time. I have already read the minimums for Virginia and North Carolina but I have not spoke to inspections or anyone of that nature yet to see if they recommend a larger slope for low flow toilets. They are trying everything they can to see if it's something else other than the small low spot/belly that is at the end of the line outside where the new connects the old. They really don't want to tear up that area.
Old 03-10-2011, 08:39 AM   #9
Plumb or Die!!

View plumber666's Photo Album My Photos

I'm working on a school addition right now, and first time I saw the prints, I noticed all sanitary lines, including 4" were spec'd at 1/4" per foot. I asked the engineer why that was and he said it was because of the low flow toilets, and that they needed the steeper grade because there was less water.
When I said I totally disagreed with him, as there was a greater likelyhood of the solid and liquid wastes separating with more grade, he gave me a "deer in the headlights" look. Said the steeper pitch was a new policy for them, but would look into it. That was about 6 months ago, I should really give him a call again.
What's everybody elses opinion?
plumber666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 11:57 AM   #10
I'm right your wrong

View easttexasplumb's Photo Album My Photos

Use min pipe sizes and slope, to help the water carry the waste.