Liberty SJ-10 water powered sump pump issues. - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Plumbing Forum > General Plumbing Discussion

Old 12-27-2015, 01:32 PM   #1

View swedishcharm21's Photo Album My Photos
Default Liberty SJ-10 water powered sump pump issues.

Even though I'm retired, I still consult the guys at my old shop. Some of the guys have been getting complaints about the Liberty SJ 10, such as:

1) Slowly removing water from sump basin

2) City water flowing through pump, but not removing water from sump basin.

3) On one instance, the customers primary pump failed, so when the Liberty kicked on, it was actually filling the sump basin with water. When the water supply was cut off to the liberty, the basin stopped filling. When water supply was turned back on, the basin started filling quick. I actually went to see this for myself, but could not find anything wrong, and could not replicate the issue, but one of our guys insisted this is what was going on.

I've never been a fan of the Liberty, and advised them to go to the Guardian, for water powered pumps.

Any feedback on these issues?
swedishcharm21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2015, 04:42 PM   #2
Certified Lunatic

View Redwood's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Skype™ to Redwood

I don't care much for water powered sump pumps...

They have a few limitations which I wrote about in this guide on my website.

Some other options are:

Zoeller Aquanot

Duplex Sump Pumps with Standby Generator

Redwood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Redwood For This Useful Post:
JERRYMAC (12-27-2015)
Old 12-27-2015, 05:16 PM   #3

View Qplumb's Photo Album My Photos

I always advise against water back up pumps. Most homes I go to the discharge line dumps water just outside the basement above the sump pump. For every 2 gallons you pump out your adding a gallon which will eventually overwhelm the water back up GPM capacity & flood the basement. I always recommend the pro series 2400 & separate discharge line so back up can assist main pump in heavy rain. I've seen rain here in kansas city that overwhelm pumps capable of 30-40 GPM @ 10' head.
Qplumb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Qplumb For This Useful Post:
plumberkc (12-27-2015)

Old 12-27-2015, 06:52 PM   #4
Master Plumber

View plumberkc's Photo Album My Photos

I stopped doing backup pumps all together, too much liability.
plumberkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 08:11 AM   #5

View OpenSights's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by swedishcharm21 View Post
Even though I'm retired, I still consult the guys at my old shop. Some of the guys have been getting complaints about the Liberty SJ 10, such as:

1) Slowly removing water from sump basin

2) City water flowing through pump, but not removing water from sump basin.

3) On one instance, the customers primary pump failed, so when the Liberty kicked on, it was actually filling the sump basin with water. When the water supply was cut off to the liberty, the basin stopped filling. When water supply was turned back on, the basin started filling quick. I actually went to see this for myself, but could not find anything wrong, and could not replicate the issue, but one of our guys insisted this is what was going on.

I've never been a fan of the Liberty, and advised them to go to the Guardian, for water powered pumps.

Any feedback on these issues?
I've installed hundreds of these pumps with very few issues. Most common is a drip from where the float switch goes into the body. All you need to do is tighten the three screws there.

I've only seen one catastrophic failure where it did pump water in and not remove it.

I've seen them working 100% but not able to handle the amount of water coming in. Swapped it out and it was GTG.

I've seen the discharge tied in wrong causing all the water being pumped in and out fill the crock even faster.

My biggest complaint is around here they don't recognise the BWV in it so we have to install a Watts 9D.

AFA liability goes... if it's the pump that fails, that's on the manufacture, it was poorly/improperly installed that's a different story.

I haven't installed one in over a year and a half, so maybe they had a bad batch or changed something?
OpenSights is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OpenSights For This Useful Post:
JERRYMAC (12-28-2015)