CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Plumbing Forum > General Plumbing Discussion

Old 12-05-2010, 10:04 AM   #1
just.signed

View big willy's Photo Album My Photos
Default induction torches

I was doing some copper work at a reno and the general contractor asked me if i have ever used a flameless torch for soldering pipes. He stated that it takes 5 seconds to heat the pipe to solder I can only guess that it is a induction torch. Has anybody used one. ? More curious then anything

I am sure they are expensive but in a very old house like i was in the smallest spark can set a house on fire. And yes i always have a fire extringuisher and water at arms length away
big willy is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 12-05-2010, 11:23 AM   #2
The Old (antique) Master

View PLUMBER_BILL's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by big willy View Post
I was doing some copper work at a reno and the general contractor asked me if i have ever used a flameless torch for soldering pipes. He stated that it takes 5 seconds to heat the pipe to solder I can only guess that it is a induction torch. Has anybody used one. ? More curious then anything

I am sure they are expensive but in a very old house like i was in the smallest spark can set a house on fire. And yes i always have a fire extringuisher and water at arms length away

big willy ...
This is copied from a post I made a couple of days ago. See the red letters below. I can take a photo and post it if you wish.

That was a NIBCO LETROSWET ... High and low power settings and off / on switch. Over the years it has opened hundreds of frozen pipes. The other feature was a electric torch up to 3" capacity. The carbon contacts heated up a 3" copper joint in about a minute and a half. This thing still works and has to be in this shop for at least 40 years. The only maintenance was the replacing of the copper lugs on the clamps. This had to be done after every 50 thaws.
A little of this and a little of that
PLUMBER_BILL is offline   Reply With Quote