CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Plumbing Forum > General Plumbing Discussion

Old 04-23-2011, 02:41 AM   #1

View 1234mg's Photo Album My Photos
Default Grey Water Lift Station

Lookin for advice. Bought a new (5 year old) house 3 months ago, had to replace grey water pump from tank that my septic drains into-then pumps into my leach field. Already burned out the pump, 4/10 horse hardwired. My retired union master plumber uncle recommended installing a pump with cord this time and setting up an outlet instead of hardwiring and basically crossing my fingers.

Also wondering is there any way to eliminate or reduce the chance of a large object fouling the pump----or maybe shielding the pump somehow.

Thanks in advance for advice.
1234mg is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 04-23-2011, 10:09 AM   #2

View PrecisePlumbing's Photo Album My Photos

Try the diy forums Your in the wrong part o town
PrecisePlumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 10:24 AM   #3

View Marlin's Photo Album My Photos

Nevermind.
Marlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 11:41 AM   #4

Default I'm not a DIY'er, Licensed Contractor

Just not real experienced with pumps.
Old 04-23-2011, 11:47 AM   #5
Certified Lunatic

View Redwood's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Skype™ to Redwood

Quote:
I'm not a DIY'er, Licensed Contractor
Ut Oh.. you may have to define that better...

The wolves are circling for the kill...

Redwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 11:51 AM   #6

View Tommy plumber's Photo Album My Photos

Just install a decent pump, and it should last a while. www.expresspump.com
Old 04-23-2011, 11:57 AM   #7
Madame Moderator

View Phat Cat's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwood View Post
Ut Oh.. you may have to define that better...

The wolves are circling for the kill...
You think?

I believe he was 'vetted' when he first joined. Post count indicates that and I really don't feel like looking it up.

If they let a Certified Lunatic like you stay, why not a DIY'er?

J/K PZ Members - NO DIY'ERS EVER!

Long live Plumbing Zone.
Old 04-24-2011, 12:43 AM   #8

Default Legitimacy

I'm a licensed plumber in california. I'm just kinda green on septic systems, I'm from suburban area and just relocated my family to more rural area with a septic tank and lift station to my leach field. I did buy a good pump my first time replacing, and today I replaced all wire and the only real change was instead of hardwiring from pump to j-box I went with a corded pump and wired in a waterproof outlet box inside the tank.

The advice I'm looking for(luckily isn't manners) is regarding pump protection, under a house I would use a barrel with holes or something for a sump to keep dirt and rocks out, but inside this tank that I can't get into...just not sure if there's a way to keep solid object from fouling the impellar.

The ejection tank has a outer ring lower reservoir(kinda like an old coke bottle) I assume the pump should be located on the "hump" in the middle but the pipe configuration doesn't allow that. Unless I repipe, which involves removing the check valve holding my leach line water---not my idea of a good time.
Old 04-24-2011, 11:24 AM   #9

View breid1903's Photo Album My Photos
Default 1 to 4

Try the dark side. Ridgidforum. They have a septic system discussion. They are actually knowledgable. Lol. Breed..........
breid1903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 11:39 AM   #10
philosopher and statesmen

View Master Mark's Photo Album My Photos
Talking dont take of fthe check valve

[QUOTE=1234mg;179020

The ejection tank has a outer ring lower reservoir(kinda like an old coke bottle) I assume the pump should be located on the "hump" in the middle but the pipe configuration doesn't allow that. Unless I repipe, which involves removing the check valve holding my leach line water---not my idea of a good time.[/QUOTE]

I just had that kind of good time last tuesday evening... changed out a sewage pump in a finished basement and come to find out that the septic system was overwelmend with water.....

I tried to change the check valve and it almost flooded me out... it was very close to a disaster and it got pretty ugly....

if you have to repalce the whole line might I suggest that you install a few 2 inch PVC BALL VALVEs. on the outgoing line way up stream as it enters the property so the next poor dumbass that comes along does not get a bath..... and so everything can be held back for service down the road......

if the pvc pipe hanging over head would have cracked or broke while we were fooling with it , this would have been very bad indeed..

presently the customer told me that he is pumping his grey water to a gutter and out to a creek near by because the septic is literally full of surface water to the grass line.....
Master Mark is offline   Reply With Quote