Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

grease trap

11K views 30 replies 14 participants last post by  BROOKLYN\PLUMB 
#1 ·
whats the average price of a standard 3 sink bowl grease trap

#3 ·
asking for an average price for a grease trap install on the internet is foolish. Each and every contractor here has a different cost of operating their business. So the prices can be from one extreme to the other. Also we do not know what is involved in your install. Is PVC allowed or does it have to be plumbed in in copper or CI? Is it going to be set on the floor or do they want it in the floor? Do they want the sink hard piped into it, or an indirect drain?

But all that does not matter since what I will charge here in Chicago area will be different than what a plumber in another county or state will charge. Heck even another company in the Chicago area can be 10 times less or more than me. All depends on what they need to get to cover their costs and to make a profit.

So in other words you need to figure out what your costs are and add in your profit to price the job.

#4 ·
While I understand your point....

I am assuming he is talking about the interceptor only.

asking for an average price for a grease trap install on the internet is foolish. Each and every contractor here has a different cost of operating their business. So the prices can be from one extreme to the other. Also we do not know what is involved in your install. Is PVC allowed or does it have to be plumbed in in copper or CI? Is it going to be set on the floor or do they want it in the floor? Do they want the sink hard piped into it, or an indirect drain?

But all that does not matter since what I will charge here in Chicago area will be different than what a plumber in another county or state will charge. Heck even another company in the Chicago area can be 10 times less or more than me. All depends on what they need to get to cover their costs and to make a profit.

So in other words you need to figure out what your costs are and add in your profit to price the job.

#12 ·
Well asking for prices on the internet is just ... well it rubs me the wrong way. And I will admit, today has me in a bummer of a mood. My pet rat died today..

RIP Blue Chz

Attachments

#11 ·
I had a union GC call me to price a grease trap replacement that was in an old Venture store that was being converted into a Big K-mart that wanted to keep the kitchen area. The trap that was installed was way undersized and in ground in the center of the kitchen area. I asked him why not have the union shop that was doing the new plumbing in the bathrooms do it? He told me they would not touch it and he called a dozen other shops in for a quote and they all turned the job down. The hall told him to call our shop and informed him they would not give him a hard time for hiring a non-union shop to take care of the grease trap.

I felt odd taking on a job like this so I priced it a whole lot more than I would ever price it in hopes the guy would chase me out of there. When I told him 5k to do the job he asked me when can I start? I asked when do you need it done? He said yesterday. I put everything in writing, he gave me half down and we did the job. The union steward<?> (I think thats what you call them) for the electricians came over and told me to put away all my extension cords and he will have his guys run power into the room for my Bosch Brute. Then he told me if anyone asks who I am with just tell the that we are with the drywallers. He said he knew we are a non-union shop, and explained to me that what I already knew that there was over a dozen union shops that came in and turned down the job.

Only thing that drove me nuts was when they all stopped to take their break they made us stop too.

#19 ·
You just proved my point, all depends on your code. The following is from the Illinois code. Not part (a) section 2 and yes as in part 4 states it needs to be able to handle the maximum demand of the connected system.

Section 890.510 Grease Interceptor Requirements

Plumbing systems for institutions or commercial establishments in which grease, fats, culinary oils, or similar waste products from kitchens or food processing areas are wasted, or in which grease, fats, or culinary oils are wasted in connection with utensil, vat, dish, or floor cleaning processes, shall include grease interceptors. All waste lines and drains carrying grease, fats, or culinary oil, in the above type establishments shall be directed to one or more interceptors. (See Appendix E: Illustrations A and B.)

a) All required grease interceptors shall comply with the following:

1) Material and Covers. Grease interceptors shall be constructed of durable, corrosion-resistant materials and shall have water-tight covers securely fastened in place.

2) Minimum Size. A grease interceptor installed on the same floor as the fixture shall have one-half the liquid holding capacity of the fixture. A grease interceptor located on a floor below the fixture shall have sixty percent of the liquid holding capacity of the fixture. To determine the liquid holding capacity in gallons of a plumbing fixture, multiply the length by the width by the height in inches, and divide by 231. Where two (2) or more sinks or receptacles are connected to an interceptor the liquid holding capacity shall be based on the combined volume of the fixtures served.

3) No grease interceptor shall receive the discharge from a food waste disposal or a commercial dishwashing machine.

4) The flow rate of the interceptor shall be sufficient to handle the maximum demand of the connected system.

5) All interceptors shall be installed in an accessible location to permit the convenient removal of the lid and internal contents.

6) All interceptors shall be designed and installed with proper venting so that they do not become air bound. (See Appendix E: Illustration C.)
b) Prohibited Type. Water cooled grease interceptors are prohibited.

#20 ·
Interesting...When I was working with a commercial outfit the same thing, we had to break at the same time and all....Hmmm.

Only thing that drove me nuts was when they all stopped to take their break they made us stop too.[/quote]

#22 ·
Interesting...When I was working with a commercial outfit the same thing, we had to break at the same time and all....Hmmm.

Only thing that drove me nuts was when they all stopped to take their break they made us stop too.
[/quote]

I am not used to taking breaks, and I think they did not like hearing the Bosch Brute going while they tried to chill for their 15 minutes. It was a fun job the trap that was there was a 12" x 6" x 12" trap, way undersized for the job. The one we set was 3' by 4' by 4'6" We ended up setting it an inch deeper than I wanted to due to six conduits in my way for the inlet. So the GC called Rockford and had a custom cover made up for the trap. Overall it was a nice job and paid very well. We did work hard and got it all done in a day and half. The GC was super pleased since the tile guy was coming in the next day.

It was funny we ended up subcontracting for a couple of the union shops since they never got into drain work and cleaning. Then I learned that Cook County the local 130 does not do drain layers work (underground and drain cleaning) Drain cleaning is a different union. I forget what local it is right now, but it is sewers and underground labors union... I think.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.