CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Plumbing Forum > General Plumbing Discussion

Old 06-03-2011, 11:14 PM   #1
www.DunbarPlumbing.com

View DUNBAR PLUMBING's Photo Album My Photos
Default GE/Rheem-Ruud Water Heaters at Home Depot

In the professional opinions of plumbers on this site,

Are these water heaters prone for failures, through the design of FVIR technology, PowerVent models,

All those Robertshaw thermostats that had to be removed on the PowerVent models and switched to the White-Rodgers Intellivent models...

Flammable Vapor sensors going bad with just the hint of moisture on them, even though they are ceramic. ????

I have a customer that has taken a brutal beating on chronic problems with her 4 year old GE Power Vent Natural Gas Water Heater from Home Depot.

Every 3-6 months it goes into failure, more parts ordered and I install them.

In just the last 2 weeks, GE sent this customer everything (gas control valve, flammable vapor sensor, complete burner assembly) and this damn gas control valve is showing an error code that the FV sensor is bad.

They mentioned if it gets wet, it gets destroyed instantly. Well today arrived the new sensor, 2 minute job and it didn't make a bit of difference.

Could be the gas valve, who knows.

This customer finally did what I recommended; she bought an electric water heater from Sears, Kenmore 9 year 50 gallon.

Sunday I'm removing that POS GE gas water heater from home depot and doing the conversion to electric.

This woman is single, all she wants is hot water. Not what the last idiot got on sale at home depot that over 4 years of time has had 7 technical repairs done to the unit, all electronic based.

3 weeks ago I had a 40 gall conventional gas water heater that wouldn't light, took 100 strikes with the piezo ignitor to light and I'm telling you it probably only lit because there was so much gas in the chamber that it overwhelmingly ignited by the abundance of unburned gas.

7 weeks ago, 2 year old conventional gas GE Rheem/Ruud water heater that wouldn't relight after I did a gas line rework.

Either the striker was misaligned or some other notorious joke of why they won't work.

Constantly, I'll see transfer of spark where the connection of the lead from the ignitor goes to the orange wire that's built into the burner assembly setup.

So, GE has no problem sending out a complete burner assembly when something as an ignitor being off .25 thousandths of an inch.

I'm not about to tear those units down without a new assembly going back in. You cannot buy that setup at a supply house. Heavily policed right through the manufacture so they keep an ongoing record of the serial number associated with the unit.

This single woman just wants hot water. I told her with the number of PowerVents I've been replacing under warranty lately, along with numerous people calling me to fix these when they stop working....

one would believe that there are chronic problems, way beyond 'normal' in the nature of electronics associated with gas fired water heaters.

All because some fool thought they'd save 20 square feet by eliminating double wall B vent inside the house, and now we just hook up drain pipe and send it out the wall there chester. Attachment 10244

Where is the quality control on these products? I'm putting my hands on these a lot. I like to make money, but they are not holding up to any length of time and it's not just a select few.

I got pictures of burner assembly replacements going back to 2007 on the internet, somewhere.
DUNBAR PLUMBING is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 06-03-2011, 11:17 PM   #2
Certified Lunatic

View Redwood's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Skype™ to Redwood

You aren't putting a poll on this one?

Redwood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 11:47 PM   #3
www.DunbarPlumbing.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwood View Post
You aren't putting a poll on this one?
Nope.

I need the hard data of these heaters, how they fair from state to state. I don't ask to work on these... they all come to me via internet with requests to repair.

It's starting to creep in like the notorious whirlpool water heater issues on the conventional gas water heaters.

With the flammable vapor sensor they sent tonight, they sent the front housing of the old Robertshaw gas control valve. ???

I get to keep this water heater that's being pulled out. It will be a well viewed video on youtube, I promise that.
Old 06-04-2011, 02:03 AM   #4

View Prscptn Plmbng's Photo Album My Photos

If it was bought from home desperate or sears....... Sell them a rheem or bradford white and be done with it...

Avoid ao smith like the plague, there fvir system is a joke... I used to be an auth service provider for them... Their air intake screen clogs from any dust, the screen is the same size as the burner and the rust from the burner clogs it from the top....

The low flow of intake air causes the thermal switch to trip from the overheating
Combustion chamber, and usually takes about ten or fifteen mins to trip, just enough time to be driving away... Then get the call back once your home...
Prscptn Plmbng is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Prscptn Plmbng For This Useful Post:
Epox (06-05-2011)
Old 06-04-2011, 08:10 AM   #5
philosopher and statesmen

View Master Mark's Photo Album My Photos
Talking post a picture

I think ALL of the RHEEM POWERVENTS are crappy....

wether it comes from RHEEM, GE..or RICHMOND
they cannot make one correctly and should simply just
go out and buy a Bradford white powervent , tear it apart , study it ..... and then COPY IT ....

why dont you post a picture of the gas valve and general appearance of this unit ......I would like to see how it sizes up with a normal RHEEM POWERVENT..

Dunbar.... you are getting sloppy.......
Master Mark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 09:14 PM   #6
www.DunbarPlumbing.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Mark View Post
I think ALL of the RHEEM POWERVENTS are crappy....

wether it comes from RHEEM, GE..or RICHMOND
they cannot make one correctly and should simply just
go out and buy a Bradford white powervent , tear it apart , study it ..... and then COPY IT ....

why dont you post a picture of the gas valve and general appearance of this unit ......I would like to see how it sizes up with a normal RHEEM POWERVENT..

Dunbar.... you are getting sloppy.......

Pictures this coming week. I get the old one with all the parts sent. Putting in an electric sears/kenmore 50 gallon electric tomorrow.
Old 06-04-2011, 10:12 PM   #7

View jc60618's Photo Album My Photos

Last week I installed a 50 gallon power vent water heater from home depot. After hooking it up and bleeding the air out I turn it on, the blower was making a loud muffler like noise. I took it apart and found a piece of metal coming in contact with the blower. So as the blower was spining it keep hitting the piece of sheet metal causing the loud noise.
jc60618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 10:26 PM   #8

View timplmbr's Photo Album My Photos

you are right .......they are POS , we highly reccomend bradford white or state here in east tn, even tho american is right down the road in johnson city, (knock on wood) never had any issues out of a bradford white ( any of them)
Old 06-04-2011, 10:50 PM   #9
Certified Lunatic

View Redwood's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Skype™ to Redwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by timplmbr View Post
you are right .......they are POS , we highly reccomend bradford white or state here in east tn, even tho american is right down the road in johnson city, (knock on wood) never had any issues out of a bradford white ( any of them)
State????

Redwood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 11:04 PM   #10

View timplmbr's Photo Album My Photos

yes state water heaters.....

Tags
gas water heater, ge ., ge water heater, rheem ruud heater