CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Plumbing Forum > General Plumbing Discussion

Old 05-12-2011, 01:18 AM   #1

View rocksteady's Photo Album My Photos
Default Free standing, claw foot shower pan help

A customer of mine purchased a 42"x42" cast iron, free standing, claw foot shower base and I'm having a bit of trouble finding a drain that will work with it. Apparently, this base is made with either a 3 1/2" drain hole or a 2" drain hole. I don't think she realized there was a reason to choose one over the other and she bought the one with the 2" opening. What would you use for a drain for this?

A tub drain will work but because they only have one base that they drill for 2 different drain openings, the sunken area is made for a full sized shower drain. If I install a tub drain, there will be an area around the basket that will hold water and probably discolor. Also, I'm unsure of what would be the best way to secure it from below. A tub shoe isn't the greatest idea because I'd then need to turn another 90 to go through the floor. I'd like to drop straight down into a trap, of course.

Any ideas on a drain that would have a 4" wide cover plate or trim, yet fit through a 2" opening?

Paul
http://rocksteadyplumbing.com/
rocksteady is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 05-12-2011, 01:54 AM   #2
www.DunbarPlumbing.com

View DUNBAR PLUMBING's Photo Album My Photos

I'd find a cover that fits into the indentation, then expoxy a 3" x 2" reducing coupling to the underside...
DUNBAR PLUMBING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 01:57 AM   #3
No Longer at This Address

View ToUtahNow's Photo Album My Photos

The problem I see is a 2" hole is too small for a 2" drain. Is there any chance she could return it for the right pan? A restocking charge would be a lot cheaper now than after you fail your inspection.

Mark
ToUtahNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 02:06 AM   #4

View rocksteady's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToUtahNow View Post
The problem I see is a 2" hole is too small for a 2" drain. Is there any chance she could return it for the right pan? A restocking charge would be a lot cheaper now than after you fail your inspection.

Mark
This is exactly the problem. What is driving me nuts is why they make this product. On the website she ordered it from they have accessories and the drain they show is a chrome plated w&o. It's not like the manufacturer messed up and drilled the wrong hole, this is a product they sell. I mentioned to her that the best option is to send it back for a new one. I know she doesn't want to do that but it may be her only option. I also told her a shower needs a 2" drain and I'm very uncomfortable "customizing" something that isn't designed for this application when it could leak all over her hardwood floors.

And Steve. Thanks for the idea but I think I'll pass.

Paul
http://rocksteadyplumbing.com/
rocksteady is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rocksteady For This Useful Post:
ToUtahNow (05-12-2011)
Old 05-12-2011, 06:11 AM   #5

View marc76075's Photo Album My Photos

You can't get the correct drain from the manufacturer? That would be the first person Id call. If they don't have it then she's gonna have to return it.
marc76075 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to marc76075 For This Useful Post:
RealLivePlumber (05-12-2011)
Old 05-12-2011, 09:48 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc76075 View Post
You can't get the correct drain from the manufacturer? That would be the first person Id call. If they don't have it then she's gonna have to return it.

It's not legal to install as configured.

Mark
Old 05-12-2011, 10:44 AM   #7
The Old (antique) Master

View PLUMBER_BILL's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToUtahNow View Post

Mark
I ASSUME THIS IS PLASTIC! If the drain recess is for a full size strainer why don't you redrill it? With the proper disclaimers of course. Make sure you use double face tape to stick a piece of scrap
wood or plastc under the base to keep the new size hole centered.
A little of this and a little of that
PLUMBER_BILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 10:53 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLUMBER_BILL View Post
I ASSUME THIS IS PLASTIC! If the drain recess is for a full size strainer why don't you redrill it? With the proper disclaimers of course. Make sure you use double face tape to stick a piece of scrap
It's cast iron. I think he should have her return it.

Mark
Old 05-12-2011, 10:56 AM   #9
The Old (antique) Master

View PLUMBER_BILL's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumber_bill View Post
i assume this is plastic! If the drain recess is for a full size strainer why don't you redrill it? With the proper disclaimers of course. Make sure you use double face tape to stick a piece of scrap
sorry i reread this it does say cast iron. Maybe the customer would buy you a diamond bit.
A little of this and a little of that
PLUMBER_BILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 11:14 AM   #10

View plumb nutz's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToUtahNow

Mark
Depends on your code...
IPC says 1.5 minimum drain for shower. Don't know the others, but so understand that it can be due to the volume of water. Since its free standing I doubt you'll have body sprays. Probably looking at a regular shower head, a rain shower at most. In addition, a tub only gas a 1.5 drain, but you have no problem with that right?

I'd go with whatever the manufacturer has to offer for a drain.
plumb nutz is offline   Reply With Quote