Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
PLUMBERS, CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Plumbing Forum > General Plumbing Discussion

View Poll Results: As a Plumber I
use this daily 20 54.05%
don't use it, I'm a new construction plumber who doesn't care 16 43.24%
rely on the manufacture of supplier to have it on parts 17 45.95%
have never used this product, have no clue what it is 16 43.24%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-20-2013, 12:59 PM   #1
www.DunbarPlumbing.com

View DUNBAR PLUMBING's Photo Album My Photos
Default Food Grade Silicone - Plumber's Grease

I just bought enough of this product to last years, in 4oz. aluminum squeeze tubes. Dawn dish detergent along with hot water will clean off anything this product comes in contact with.

For years, literally years (13+) I've been using this product. I started off using the regular grease that backfired instantly, would get hot in the truck during warmer climate months and make a huge mess.

The clear silicone I'd use only for in contact with potable water, the others for threaded connections that were 'not' in contact with potable water (petroleum base, ruins O-rings and all things rubber) and over the years they've made much improvement to that product.

When I started buying the FDA approved product in the super small containers, it was like trying to spread gelatin, spreadability was terrible and wouldn't get to the locations (thread patterns, slide patterns) to get the lubrication needed.

This product has improved, and then last year a guy gave me a half a tube of this product he used as a vendor in the festival biz that was required/approved by the health department. It is different than the Danco product or what's sold at the supply houses, has a little more greasier texture and it will spread to anything and anywhere you need it. Made for direct contact with food, you can spray off/clean surfaces with this product on there and it will remain with its ability to serve as its function.

This was a great habit that was taught to me by a service plumber in Cincinnati Ohio that has me following this ritual continually on a daily basis, respecting the trade, the next guy, the property owner when the time comes to work on the product in the fixture and have a chance to get it loose.

I put this on the shanks of new faucets, any threaded connections including 3/8" nuts to angle/straight stops.

Any screw or nut assembly that has a history of coming into contact with waste or water, it goes on, down to the allen screws that hold faucet handles on. Spreading enough to fill the hole where the allen key goes into, saves headaches years from now.

Same goes for aerators on faucets. Always.

99.99%, just like a Maury Povich show, new construction plumbers will not take the time and grease many components of faucets, shower valves, threaded connections during install because either they don't think the effort warrants the design, they don't get paid enough, or realize they won't be the ones coming back.

How do I know this?

Because I'm the guy who ALWAYS get the brunt of this inaction when it comes time to service these fixtures on the residential and commercial level of plumbing. But whether I'm coming back or not; I set it up for owner of that product to have a chance or another plumber to avoid the knuckle busting experience, sawing off or getting out grinders to remove old plumbing parts to install new.

It makes an incredible difference. I know this as I've spent a career of removing products that did not contain this penny's worth of lubrication that makes that first turn of a wrench a prolonged experience or a simple one. How many of you do this to brass pop up assemblies?

Don't answer; I already know. I'd give Moen top dog for credit for always supplying blister packs for their products, but it's ONLY done because their components HAVE to have that product in use, otherwise the product slowly locks up due to close tolerance of machining. Cue the removal tool made specific for the cartridges.

DUNBAR PLUMBING is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to DUNBAR PLUMBING For This Useful Post:
422 plumber (03-20-2013), beanburner (04-27-2013), gassyplumber (03-20-2013), JERRYMAC (05-06-2013), Justin Gruver (03-20-2013), MDPlumber1977 (04-27-2013), plumber101us (03-25-2013), Plumbworker (03-20-2013)
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Plumbers Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

PlumbingZone.com - Are you a Professional Plumbing Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for plumbers to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that PlumbingZone.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join PlumbingZone.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!
Old 03-20-2013, 01:57 PM   #2

View rjbphd's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNBAR PLUMBING View Post
I just bought enough of this product to last years, in 4oz. aluminum squeeze tubes. Dawn dish detergent along with hot water will clean off anything this product comes in contact with.

For years, literally years (13+) I've been using this product. I started off using the regular grease that backfired instantly, would get hot in the truck during warmer climate months and make a huge mess.

The clear silicone I'd use only for in contact with potable water, the others for threaded connections that were 'not' in contact with potable water (petroleum base, ruins O-rings and all things rubber) and over the years they've made much improvement to that product.

When I started buying the FDA approved product in the super small containers, it was like trying to spread gelatin, spreadability was terrible and wouldn't get to the locations (thread patterns, slide patterns) to get the lubrication needed.

This product has improved, and then last year a guy gave me a half a tube of this product he used as a vendor in the festival biz that was required/approved by the health department. It is different than the Danco product or what's sold at the supply houses, has a little more greasier texture and it will spread to anything and anywhere you need it. Made for direct contact with food, you can spray off/clean surfaces with this product on there and it will remain with its ability to serve as its function.

This was a great habit that was taught to me by a service plumber in Cincinnati Ohio that has me following this ritual continually on a daily basis, respecting the trade, the next guy, the property owner when the time comes to work on the product in the fixture and have a chance to get it loose.

I put this on the shanks of new faucets, any threaded connections including 3/8" nuts to angle/straight stops.

Any screw or nut assembly that has a history of coming into contact with waste or water, it goes on, down to the allen screws that hold faucet handles on. Spreading enough to fill the hole where the allen key goes into, saves headaches years from now.

99.99%, just like a Maury Povich show, new construction plumbers will not take the time and grease many components of faucets, shower valves, threaded connections during install because either they don't think the effort warrants the design, they don't get paid enough, or realize they won't be the ones coming back.

How do I know this?

Because I'm the guy who ALWAYS get the brunt of this inaction when it comes time to service these fixtures on the residential and commercial level of plumbing. But whether I'm coming back or not; I set it up for owner of that product to have a chance or another plumber to avoid the knuckle busting experience, sawing off or getting out grinders to remove old plumbing parts to install new.

It makes an incredible difference. I know this as I've spent a career of removing products that did not contain this penny's worth of lubrication that makes that first turn of a wrench a prolonged experience or a simple one. How many of you do this to brass pop up assemblies?

Don't answer; I already know. I'd give Moen top dog for credit for always supplying blister packs for their products, but it's ONLY done because their components HAVE to have that product in use, otherwise the product slowly locks up due to close tolerance of machining. Cue the removal tool made specific for the cartridges.
You won't have any problem taking apart of any faucets or stops I've installed... yes, I greased or silicone grease everything. Was thought by a master repair plumber that specialized in two/three handles faucets 35 years ago.. I use 'slick and slide' from WB.
rjbphd is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rjbphd For This Useful Post:
beanburner (04-27-2013), DUNBAR PLUMBING (03-20-2013)
Old 03-20-2013, 04:44 PM   #3
every tool is a hammer

View 422 plumber's Photo Album My Photos

That's how I roll. I use faucet grease on all threads at the industrial plants I work at. No one drinks the water, they have the 5 gallon jugs all over the place. At the commercial/institutional jobs, I use food grade silicone grease. I even grease the threads on all slip joints.
What makes it nice is when I come back for a service call, and everything unscrews. I have been doing a lot of Moen cartridge replacements for a big property management outfit, and most times I can't get the allen set screw out of the shower handle, and even some of the machine screws won't come.
It turns a 20 minute job into a big hassle.

You're a funny guy,but in a scary kind of way
422 plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 422 plumber For This Useful Post:
DUNBAR PLUMBING (03-20-2013), JERRYMAC (05-06-2013)
Old 03-20-2013, 05:12 PM   #4
Ridgid tool user

View gear junkie's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by 422 plumber View Post
most times I can't get the allen set screw out of the shower handle, and even some of the machine screws won't come.
Never tried this but it might be worth a shot. They make screwdriver attachments for soldering guns(electronic). I asked why and the store clerk said for frozen screws....heat them up, let it cool down and it's unfrozen....sounds good in theory, lol.
422 plumber (03-20-2013), dclarke (03-20-2013), DUNBAR PLUMBING (03-20-2013), plbgbiz (04-27-2013), plumber101us (04-27-2013)
Old 03-20-2013, 08:07 PM   #5

View Tommy plumber's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNBAR PLUMBING View Post

Don't forget door handles.....

What does Maury Povich have to do with this? I don't see the connection. Or, maybe you're going behind a handy-man, not a new constuction plumber.

How do I know this?

I do install brass p.o.'s sometimes...I hate the plastic ones.

DUNBAR PLUMBING (03-20-2013)
Old 03-20-2013, 08:08 PM   #6

View rocksteady's Photo Album My Photos

I use Dow 111 food grade silicone grease.

Paul
http://rocksteadyplumbing.com/
rocksteady is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rocksteady For This Useful Post:
422 plumber (03-20-2013), DUNBAR PLUMBING (03-20-2013), goob (03-21-2013), suzie (04-27-2013)
Old 03-21-2013, 12:04 AM   #7

View redbeardplumber's Photo Album My Photos

Ok. Enlighten me. I obviously don't know my greases. I was told silicone grease
Goes on threads or o-rings that are not constantly moving. Plumbers grease on moving parts. Is this correct?
redbeardplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 05:41 PM   #8
www.DunbarPlumbing.com

View DUNBAR PLUMBING's Photo Album My Photos

image-713439965.jpg

image-1980515359.jpg

image-1270278759.jpg

Never again do I spend $3 like this, ever again.

I held onto the empty containers so I can refill with a tube and save money. Only took years to finally find this product in this amount.

image-1328186994.jpg

image-2783473667.jpg
DUNBAR PLUMBING is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DUNBAR PLUMBING For This Useful Post:
422 plumber (03-21-2013), MDPlumber1977 (04-27-2013), plbgbiz (04-27-2013), suzie (04-27-2013), Tommy plumber (03-21-2013)
Old 03-21-2013, 05:56 PM   #9

View Tommy plumber's Photo Album My Photos

That's a whole lotta lube....
plbgbiz (04-27-2013)
Old 03-21-2013, 05:59 PM   #10
every tool is a hammer

View 422 plumber's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy plumber View Post
That's a whole lotta lube....
Isn't that a Led Zep song?

You're a funny guy,but in a scary kind of way
422 plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 422 plumber For This Useful Post:
mtfallsmikey (03-25-2013), piper1 (04-27-2013)

Tags
fda food grease, food grease, petrol gel, plumber grease, plumbers grease