CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Plumbing Forum > General Plumbing Discussion


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2011, 03:02 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 3

View albertaplumber's Photo Album My Photos
Default floor mounted urinal

Hey guys,

I am bidding on a custom home where the owner wants a floor mounted urinal. Have never put one of these in before, (done a few wall hungs) and am wondering if anyone can give me some info on the drain hookups. What size of line does it need, how is it sealed? Is it similar to a toilet flange?

Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks
albertaplumber is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 02-28-2011, 03:20 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 402

View sikxsevn's Photo Album My Photos
Default

It's been a while since I set a floor mounted urinal, but the last one I did te drain was connected with a rubber push on gasket, like a floor drain. The urinal itself was not trapped, so it needed a p trap in the rough-in

Two brackets on the wall like a normal urinal, secured to floor and drain with concrete. Major PITA to set a floor mounted urinal if you ask me
sikxsevn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sikxsevn For This Useful Post:
albertaplumber (03-01-2011)
Old 02-28-2011, 04:00 PM   #3
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Peo, IL
Posts: 1,239

View 1703's Photo Album My Photos
Default

I think the kohler number is k-4920.

Google that and you should find some intallation instructions.

Is this going to beon a wood framed floor?
1703 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 1703 For This Useful Post:
albertaplumber (03-01-2011)
Old 02-28-2011, 04:58 PM   #4
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 3,806

View user4's Photo Album My Photos
Default

You're going to need to box out where it is going, the easiest way to set them is in a bed of sand and let them tile it in. We always yarn and pour the drains on them, even if the waste is done in PVC.
user4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to user4 For This Useful Post:
130 PLUMBER (03-01-2011), albertaplumber (03-01-2011), ILPlumber (02-28-2011), Pipe Dreams (02-28-2011)
Old 02-28-2011, 05:50 PM   #5
Special Member
 
Pipe Dreams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 78

View Pipe Dreams's Photo Album My Photos
Default

It depends on the urinal. I've installed one that required a 3" trap under the floor and others that were 2". Your best bet is to find out the make and model and print out the spec sheet. Almost all floor models have to be installed on the rough, that I can tell you.
Pipe Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pipe Dreams For This Useful Post:
albertaplumber (03-01-2011)
Old 03-01-2011, 02:13 AM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 3

View albertaplumber's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Thanks for the info guys.

It is going to be installed on the main floor of a house, so I have easy access during the rough in to do whatever I need to. I was considering if installing it at rough in would be the way to go, looks like that is the case, eh?

I was going to quote an Am Std, but can't find anything on them to tell me if they need a 2 or 3 inch drain. Tried calling their customer service line, but that was a waste of 20 minutes!

I think I have half an idea now, enough that I am confident in throwing a number into a quote. The guy wants it in his kids bathroom, so his little 2 yr old can get used to taking a leak in/on one before he goes to school! I still get suprised by what people will spend money on/for!


~ We aren't retreating, we are just advancing in a different direction! ~
albertaplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 08:12 PM   #7
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 3,806

View user4's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertaplumber View Post
Thanks for the info guys.

It is going to be installed on the main floor of a house, so I have easy access during the rough in to do whatever I need to. I was considering if installing it at rough in would be the way to go, looks like that is the case, eh?

I was going to quote an Am Std, but can't find anything on them to tell me if they need a 2 or 3 inch drain. Tried calling their customer service line, but that was a waste of 20 minutes!

I think I have half an idea now, enough that I am confident in throwing a number into a quote. The guy wants it in his kids bathroom, so his little 2 yr old can get used to taking a leak in/on one before he goes to school! I still get suprised by what people will spend money on/for!


~ We aren't retreating, we are just advancing in a different direction! ~
First, get the spec sheet for the fixture going in, then box it out on the rough with the right size drain pipe stubbed into the box, make your box ten inches larger than the footprint of the urinal. Discuss with whoever is doing the floors the need to install the flooring to leave a void where the urinal is going on the trim to accommodate it, and why. Rough in the water for the flushometer at the right location, and leave the urinal off till the trim, where you can have it on site to double check the drain dimensions, then open your box out, set the trap and riser to match the urinal, fill the box with play sand, set your urinal, install the flushometer, and let the floor installer finish his floor.

This prevents an expensive urinal from getting ruined during the rough, and minimizes the amount of work required to install it on the trim, while still providing a seamless, quality installation.

Chicago code does not allow floor mounted urinals though.
user4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 09:27 PM   #8
Special Member
 
Pipe Dreams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 78

View Pipe Dreams's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killertoiletspider View Post
First, get the spec sheet for the fixture going in, then box it out on the rough with the right size drain pipe stubbed into the box, make your box ten inches larger than the footprint of the urinal. Discuss with whoever is doing the floors the need to install the flooring to leave a void where the urinal is going on the trim to accommodate it, and why. Rough in the water for the flushometer at the right location, and leave the urinal off till the trim, where you can have it on site to double check the drain dimensions, then open your box out, set the trap and riser to match the urinal, fill the box with play sand, set your urinal, install the flushometer, and let the floor installer finish his floor.

This prevents an expensive urinal from getting ruined during the rough, and minimizes the amount of work required to install it on the trim, while still providing a seamless, quality installation.

Chicago code does not allow floor mounted urinals though.
A quality installation is to install the urinal on the rough and let the tile guy tile up to the urinal locking it in place. I don't know many tile contractors that are going to tile everything but around the urinal and then come back after your done with your finish and fill in the gaps.....

Do you install standard 5' bath tubs on the final too to avoid damage? I hear you can slide them right into place and add a little silicone.
Pipe Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 09:34 PM   #9
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 3,806

View user4's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipe Dreams View Post
A quality installation is to install the urinal on the rough and let the tile guy tile up to the urinal locking it in place. I don't know many tile contractors that are going to tile everything but around the urinal and then come back after your done with your finish and fill in the gaps.....

Do you install standard 5' bath tubs on the final too to avoid damage? I hear you can slide them right into place and add a little silicone.
Bathtubs are not made out of vitreous china.
user4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Urinal Trap retired rooter General Plumbing Discussion 5 05-31-2010 12:05 AM
Shower valve with tub spout mounted low TheMaster Residential Plumbing 3 03-29-2010 02:49 PM
Best Urinal Ever pdxplumber General Plumbing Discussion 13 01-03-2010 11:31 PM
Wall hung American Standard wall mounted leak pchuckie Commercial Plumbing 16 06-06-2009 10:52 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:49 AM.


Copyright 2000-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved
Our Pro Sites Network
ContractorTalk.com | DrywallTalk.com | ElectricianTalk.com | HVACSite.com | PaintTalk.com | RoofingTalk.com

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1