CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Plumbing Tools, Products & Safety > Plumbing Tools and Equipment

Old 06-13-2012, 02:28 AM   #1

View paul parker's Photo Album My Photos
Default Thermal Imaging for Leak Detection

Hello all. Here I am going to discuss with you all the basics of thermal imaging. Thermal imaging is the use of infra red and it works by recording the difference in temperature. Thermal imaging is mainly used for detecting deep leaks in walls or floors.
Thermal imaging inspections provide us with a picture of a specific condition of a building. Infrared cameras allow us the ability to see and locate what the naked eye is unable to detect. Infrared images can capture thermal anomalies from moisture or water damage, roof leaks and window leakage. Infrared Scans are able to locate water and moisture intrusion in buildings by thermal patterns. A Building Envelope survey can locate missing or deficient insulation, water leakage or moisture in commercial buildings, energy loss from windows and doors and flat roof surveys for water intrusion.

I hope you all might have got an idea now. In case if there are more queries feel free to ask.

paul parker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to paul parker For This Useful Post:
Adamche (06-13-2012), johnlewismcleod (06-13-2012)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 06-13-2012, 08:04 AM   #2
Watcha Got

View Gettinit's Photo Album My Photos

Deep leaks? It shows the difference in surface temperatures. If the leak is deep if often has no change on the surface temperature.
Gettinit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 09:30 AM   #3

View plbgbiz's Photo Album My Photos

I have used laser thermometers to track down hot water leaks but never thought of the thermal imaging cameras for cold water.

Is there enough of a temperature difference on the concrete surface to show up? What about floors with carpet or wood finishes?

I have seen them in the $1500 to $7000 range. Is yours like these?
Attached Thumbnails
Thermal Imaging for Leak Detection-thermal-1.jpg   Thermal Imaging for Leak Detection-thermal-2.jpg  
plbgbiz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to plbgbiz For This Useful Post:
johnlewismcleod (06-13-2012)
Old 06-13-2012, 09:21 PM   #4

View Richard Hilliard's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via MSN to Richard Hilliard

Hi John too funny I was talking to a guy that works for true green. They use the 5 grand version of the thermal imaging machine. I was asking him about locating slab leaks. He said he can use the product for hot water leaks and cold will not show up. What you would have to do is hook up a hose and back feed the hot into the cold water pipe to locate with that machine.
Effective communication, meeting and exceeding expectations, understanding client’s needs and wants, listening and hearing the real intent of client’s words and discovering the client’s perceived value will always win over the client to use you.
Richard Hilliard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 09:28 PM   #5

View deerslayer's Photo Album My Photos

I have used a 15k Tic camera looking for a buried steam line and I was less than impressed? I have also used them looking for hot spots in walls and seen none only to have a rekindle later! They might pick up surface temp on a hot water leak in a slab but I bet if there is carpet and padding it won't be as visible! Tic will only pick up surface temp differences!
Gettinit (06-13-2012), piper1 (06-13-2012)
Old 06-13-2012, 09:31 PM   #6
Watcha Got

View Gettinit's Photo Album My Photos

Careful with slab leaks due to the vapor barriers! It is a good way to get a general area to start looking only, IMO. If that water finds its way up on top of the barrier it will run closest to the concrete and there is where you can get into trouble. Now, if you are outside on a driveway melt system or radiant, that's a whole different ballgame.
Gettinit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 09:51 PM   #7

View DesertOkie's Photo Album My Photos

I bet this would be great for watching the rednecks at work playing with carbstart and a lighter.
DesertOkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 09:59 PM   #8

It's great for finding drunk drivers who slipped into the woods. The cops call us and we can point them right out.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:02 PM   #9

View MarkToo's Photo Album My Photos

Are you Spiderman?
MarkToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 10:22 PM   #10

I wish it wasn't illegal to use them in Indiana to find downed game! Many a deer have died within 200 yds of being shot and we simply couldn't find them over the years!