CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Plumbing Tools, Products & Safety > Plumbing Tools and Equipment

Old 08-22-2009, 05:53 PM   #1
Registered Member

View user823's Photo Album My Photos
Default ProPress Fittings

I know a lot of you are using them, I just got my tool last week and started using it. I just wanted to comment on the tool and the fittings. I love it, it's the greatest thing to happen since the invention of pex!

For those of you that haven't tried it, try it! Ferguson has rental units to give it a try without buying one. I do a lot of pex repipes around here and have soldered all my transition fittings. Now they are pressed on. It's so quick and easy without all the mess I almost feel guilty using it.
user823 is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 08-22-2009, 06:28 PM   #2

View mselkee's Photo Album My Photos

Wait until you do a job with large diameter pipe. You will get tears in your eyes it will go so fast........or that might be the fitting prices. We have used the system for years starting with emergency repairs at medical facilities and haven't looked back. To date we have had one leak. Just recrimped it and good to go!
mselkee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mselkee For This Useful Post:
user823 (08-22-2009)
Old 08-22-2009, 07:51 PM   #3
Registered Member

I know that I'll mostly be using it for up to 1", I don't do much commercial work. I can already see though after doing a few joints that I won't be going back, worth the investment that's for sure.
I don't plan on repiping a home with the stuff, mostly just transition fittings to run pex, WH installs, and repairs.
Old 08-22-2009, 08:07 PM   #4
Registered Member

View user4's Photo Album My Photos

For High rise and industrial applications we have already encountered problems with ProPress fittings, but those include conditions that would not be encountered in normal residential or light commercial use. I have my doubts about anything that relies on a rubber seal as far as longevity is concerned, only time will tell.
user4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 08:21 PM   #5

View trick1's Photo Album My Photos

We used one as a demo for a few weeks. Here's what we found:

-Quick connections and reduced labor costs, without a doubt.

-On runs of piping though, the pressing action seemed to pull the piping out of square, I mean really noticably out of square. This was really prominent in the larger size tubing and pipe, let's say 1-1/4" and larger.

The fitting patterns were a little longer than the "close-ruff" 90 degree elbows, so fitting allowance measurements took a little getting used to.

I don't know, maybe I just didn't use it long enough to get really good at it
trick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 12:39 PM   #6
Registered Member

We get a lot of water heaters around here that don't have shut off valves or the shut off valves are bad, or on 1/2" lines etc. This tool is going to save so much time it's not even funny.
I've already stocked about 150 fittings for the propress and I'm ready for anything. Sorry torchy, you won't be used much any more!
Old 08-23-2009, 01:23 PM   #7
every tool is a hammer

View 422 plumber's Photo Album My Photos

I went to test a 1.5" RPZ feeding an lawn irrigation system in a manufacturing plant. It was Pro-pressed upside down. WTF? Just because there was a huge indoor gas meter with a smell of gas in the air. I got my gas sniffer out, sniffed, it was below the LEL, so I got out my soldering kit and went to work, spinning the RPZ right side up. My point? Some ding-dong non-plumber who couldn't solder was sure able to run a Pro-press and screw up a pretty self explanatory install. The directions even come in the box.

You're a funny guy,but in a scary kind of way
422 plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 02:52 PM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbex View Post
I went to test a 1.5" RPZ feeding an lawn irrigation system in a manufacturing plant. It was Pro-pressed upside down. WTF? Just because there was a huge indoor gas meter with a smell of gas in the air. I got my gas sniffer out, sniffed, it was below the LEL, so I got out my soldering kit and went to work, spinning the RPZ right side up. My point? Some ding-dong non-plumber who couldn't solder was sure able to run a Pro-press and screw up a pretty self explanatory install. The directions even come in the box.

I would have loved to seen a picture of that!
Old 08-23-2009, 03:58 PM   #9
I aint CPV see in it?

View ROCKSTARPLUMBER's Photo Album My Photos

IR, post a picture of that bad boy. I havent seen the rothenberger one before.
ROCKSTARPLUMBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 05:37 PM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKSTARPLUMBER View Post
IR, post a picture of that bad boy. I havent seen the rothenberger one before.
Model: R15002V
Crimp Force: 6 Tons
Length: 18 1/4 inches
Weight: 5.4 pounds

Last edited by user823; 08-23-2009 at 05:40 PM..